BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-02-2023, 02:11 PM   #23
ArthurMorgan
Right to Repair Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 M

Mine does it too, lots of people in the F15/F16 section of the forum say it happens as well. I'm guessing there's just nothing that can be done about it.

For me, I don't hear it unless the fan is around the 3-5 "line" setting. Lower or higher than that and it's imperceptible to me.

It's absolutely directly related to the speed of the engine, which makes me wonder if it's some sort of EMI that's affecting the speed controller of the fan and it's inducing weird fluctuations in the power it's delivering or something. It reminds me of riding in an old car with a poorly shielded gen/alt or a bad ground and you'd "hear" the engine through the AM radio.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 11:01 AM   #24
DallasDave X5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MBW X5 M

Wow, that's a great metaphor for the noise. AM radio? I haven't thought of that in many years, lol.

It doesn't seem to bother my wife (it's her vehicle), but it would drive me crazy. The vehicle is so quiet otherwise, I cannot help but notice it everytime I'm in it. The weather is pretty nice here (Dallas), so I keep the sunroof open and the blower motor off.

2016 Audi S8 Plus with Dynamic Package, APR Stage One tune, etc.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 11:07 AM   #25
DallasDave X5M
Private First Class
Rep

BTW, sometimes the noise isn't there at all.

Do you think all F85/F86 do this and we are the ones noticing it? Or, is it just affecting a few of us?

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 05:17 AM   #26
Nomad.real
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5M

Yea, I thought I’m the only one having this fan sound, than I realized it’s F85, F86 thing, nothing wrong with it I guess, very common
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 08:42 AM   #27
sighco
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

My fan does it too

Mine does it all the time. I hated it when I first got my used F85, but now I kind-of got used to it. Don't love it, but not much I can do about it, so moving on I guess...

BTW, mine doesn't seem to change with engine speed.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 07:10 PM   #28
DallasDave X5M
Private First Class
Rep

It's been a while, but I may have some news. I haven't noticed the noise too much, but it's my wife's ride. Plus, the weather in the Dallas area has been so hot the AC is blowing at a max rate.

In the last few days, I replaced the spark plugs and coil packs. Initially it was just going to be the spark plugs, but the existing coil packs looked so bad I decided to replace them too. They arrived today and were just installed. Well...I got to thinking. The AC blower noise was always at the lowest setting AND it sounded like radio interference. What IF, the coil packs were causing the interference? Yeah, yeah, it might be a stretch but during my five mile test drive (with the fan at the lowest setting, since it is now 74 degrees, thank goodness) for the new coil packs, there was NO NOISE from the blower motor. Time will certainly tell, but for some reason I am optimistic that this was the problem. Here are the pics of the old packs for your entertainment:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-14-2023, 07:11 PM   #29
DallasDave X5M
Private First Class
Rep

It probably doesn't matter, but the worst coil packs were all on the passenger side.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 02:50 AM   #30
Slickrick2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018-X5M-BLK Sapphire Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasDave X5M View Post
It's been a while, but I may have some news. I haven't noticed the noise too much, but it's my wife's ride. Plus, the weather in the Dallas area has been so hot the AC is blowing at a max rate.

In the last few days, I replaced the spark plugs and coil packs. Initially it was just going to be the spark plugs, but the existing coil packs looked so bad I decided to replace them too. They arrived today and were just installed. Well...I got to thinking. The AC blower noise was always at the lowest setting AND it sounded like radio interference. What IF, the coil packs were causing the interference? Yeah, yeah, it might be a stretch but during my five mile test drive (with the fan at the lowest setting, since it is now 74 degrees, thank goodness) for the new coil packs, there was NO NOISE from the blower motor. Time will certainly tell, but for some reason I am optimistic that this was the problem. Here are the pics of the old packs for your entertainment:
I definitely want to do my coil packs!
      09-15-2023, 09:09 AM   #31
DallasDave X5M
Private First Class
Rep

It is a really easy job, I was quite surprised. The only drawback is, of course, the expense. I used the Delphi units, they were a little more expensive then the Brembi units and about $15/ea less than OEM.

They look identical. I'll bet Delphi makes the BMW branded units.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 07:49 PM   #32
mikusmbw
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i, 2020 X5M E70 –

Just disable ASD Active Sound Design (fuse + unplug), the noise will go away.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 02:32 PM   #33
DallasDave X5M
Private First Class
Rep

Please elaborate. Where is the fuse for ASD?

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 06:25 AM   #34
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Quote:
Please elaborate. Where is the fuse for ASD?
If memory serves, the fuse for this one is in the fuse box in the cargo area under the right side cover (there's a second fuse box under glove box just as an FYI). It's fuse 129 you want to pull. I tried it out for a while, but put is back. Many say it makes the sound of the car and B&O stereo better.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 09:53 AM   #35
DallasDave X5M
Private First Class
Rep

Awesome and thank you!

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 08:36 PM   #36
11earl
Private
Rep
Drives: Don. Grey/Mugello Red X5 M

Quote:
Awesome and thank you!
Any luck?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 08:20 AM   #37
DallasDave X5M
Private First Class
Rep

I haven't removed any of the fuses as the noise has NOT returned since the new coil packs and spark plugs. Earlier this week, I spent about five minutes attempting to duplicate the noise with no luck, thank goodness. As far as I'm concerned, the problem is fixed. Unless it returns, I'm going to leave everything alone, lol.

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 02:18 PM   #38
11earl
Private
Rep
Drives: Don. Grey/Mugello Red X5 M

Quote:
I haven't removed any of the fuses as the noise has NOT returned since the new coil packs and spark plugs. Earlier this week, I spent about five minutes attempting to duplicate the noise with no luck, thank goodness. As far as I'm concerned, the problem is fixed. Unless it returns, I'm going to leave everything alone, lol.
I did the same and also believe the whine to be gone. Doesn't make any logical sense, but there you go.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 04:32 PM   #39
DallasDave X5M
Private First Class
Rep

Awesome news, thanks for sharing. I feel like I need to get this information to the dealership, but what the heck, lol!

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 07:04 AM   #40
CryptoHeff
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

I've got the whine and will shortly be doing coils, so I'll let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 11:35 AM   #41
DallasDave X5M
Private First Class
Rep

Good luck!

You would think that the Dealership (or BMW for that matter) would have figured this out on their own. I'm just glad the noise is gone and fingers crossed this is a permanent fix.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 05:05 AM   #42
CryptoHeff
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoHeff View Post
I've got the whine and will shortly be doing coils, so I'll let you know how it goes.
Coils didn't change or fix my AC/fan electronic whine sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 11:05 AM   #43
ArthurMorgan
Right to Repair Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikusmbw View Post
Just disable ASD Active Sound Design (fuse + unplug), the noise will go away.
This is definitely not true in all cases. My ASD has been disabled since day 1 and I still have the noise. It also doesn't explain why the noise goes away when the HVAC is turned off entirely.

Maybe I'll get around to doing coils at some point, but I'm only at 41k miles at the moment so I hate to replace them so early.

2003 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 06:12 PM   #44
CryptoHeff
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurMorgan View Post
This is definitely not true in all cases. My ASD has been disabled since day 1 and I still have the noise. It also doesn't explain why the noise goes away when the HVAC is turned off entirely.

Maybe I'll get around to doing coils at some point, but I'm only at 41k miles at the moment so I hate to replace them so early.
Replacing coils didn't fix mine so maybe only worth replacing them when they're due. I did mine at about 75k kms because I was having some other issues.
Appreciate 0