Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3jamaica View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mMege View Post
I love performance vehicles and have been lucky enough to drive quite a few cars. I stick to my budget and buy the car outright. Then I don't worry about repair bills, fuel cost...etc and just enjoy driving. I will get bored and will repeat...it's a sickness.
Sounds like me.....
I'm very tempted to buy an M4 instead.
Don't buy any bmw bc all require maintenance. Better off sticking to a brand new car with 0 miles for a guy like you
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 08:22 PM   #24
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Sounds like me.....
I'm very tempted to buy an M4 instead.
Wait, so the F85 reliability scares you and your solution is to get a then G82? That's like I don't want to use a shovel to hit a fly, so instead I bill use a bazooka.

Have a look into their overheating issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 10:02 PM   #25
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:
Ok i always loved them, was about to buy a e70, then was gonna go for a f85(seems more reliable), so i found a 2016 with 42k miles, excellent condition. Now after reading all the mantainance issues and reliability problems i can't see myself buying it. I live in a country where there is no warranty for it, but mechanic work not so expensive as in USA. But i read so many threads where it seems a very bad idea to buy a 40k plus miles x5M, the forum makes it seems as I'm gonna spend my life at mechanic shops. 2 weeks ago i was about to drop off the check and collect it, i froze and i didn't. Thinking to buy an M3 instead for the same price. Really wanted the x5M. Am i overstressing cought up into this forum compared to real life?
You can easily get 150k+ miles out of any N63/S63 powered X5. I'm almost at 180k miles on the E70 N63 which was the original and the worst of this engine family. It's modded and tuned and still pushing almost 600hp and drive the hell out of it every day. The F85's S63TU has many improvements, and getting to 200k miles will not be a problem if you follow the simple steps below.

1 - Change oil every 5k miles, no exceptions. Run a good 5-40 oil (Liquid Moly Liechlauf is what I use). I also add 2 cans of the LM Mos2 additive. This protects yours rod bearings IMHO which are the Achilles heal of any turbo engine as turbo engines are more susceptible to LSPI (low speed pre-ignition) Also known as super knock, especially in hotter climates and questionable fuel quality. During LSPI, the oil film is compressed and metal on metal contact happens on the rod and crank bearings. Over time this wears the bearing down and they eventually lose their ability to hold the oil film, catastrophic failure then occurs and your wallet goes on am instant $30,000 dollar diet. MoS2 contains Molybdenum disulfide which vastly improves the oils ability to withstand LSPI events, preventing metal to metal contact and bearing failure. To put this in perspective, a good 5-40 oil will have a shear strength of around 500-580psi, Molybdenum disulfide has a shear strength of approx 3,600psi. Mos2 adds a critical buffer for bearing longevity in turbo engines.

2 - Change transmission, diffs, and transfer case oils every 60k miles.

3 - OPEN YOUR HOOD when you park - Seriously, I know this sounds mundane however nearly every single issue with this platform is due to heat soak in the engine compartment when you park. Parked heat soak temps reach 180+, baking all those expensive sensors, hoses, and plastic bits - drastically reducing their life. Open your hood whenever you are parked in a secure location and let the heat out. Your wallet will thank you for it down the road. I can not emphasize enough how big of a difference this makes on the longevity for the seals, hoses, and plastic parts which make up 90 percent of the parts under your hood.

4 - Avoid stop and go/heavy city traffic and idling for long periods of time when possible, this is again due to heat soak.

Follow these simple rules and you will enjoy many miles of trouble free performance.
Dude great post but who the fuck wants to do all those things spending $120+ on a high performance SUV. The point of these cars is to spend the $ and not have to worry.

That said, I have almost 75,000 spirited miles on mine and no issues. The only reason I'm still driving it is because it's all but bulletproof. I can't see how spending another $120 for a slight improvement is sane.
      03-29-2023, 04:53 AM   #26
Ad20058
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
You can easily get 150k+ miles out of any N63/S63 powered X5. I'm almost at 180k miles on the E70 N63 which was the original and the worst of this engine family. It's modded and tuned and still pushing almost 600hp and drive the hell out of it every day. The F85's S63TU has many improvements, and getting to 200k miles will not be a problem if you follow the simple steps below.

1 - Change oil every 5k miles, no exceptions. Run a good 5-40 oil (Liquid Moly Liechlauf is what I use). I also add 2 cans of the LM Mos2 additive. This protects yours rod bearings IMHO which are the Achilles heal of any turbo engine as turbo engines are more susceptible to LSPI (low speed pre-ignition) Also known as super knock, especially in hotter climates and questionable fuel quality. During LSPI, the oil film is compressed and metal on metal contact happens on the rod and crank bearings. Over time this wears the bearing down and they eventually lose their ability to hold the oil film, catastrophic failure then occurs and your wallet goes on am instant $30,000 dollar diet. MoS2 contains Molybdenum disulfide which vastly improves the oils ability to withstand LSPI events, preventing metal to metal contact and bearing failure. To put this in perspective, a good 5-40 oil will have a shear strength of around 500-580psi, Molybdenum disulfide has a shear strength of approx 3,600psi. Mos2 adds a critical buffer for bearing longevity in turbo engines.

2 - Change transmission, diffs, and transfer case oils every 60k miles.

3 - OPEN YOUR HOOD when you park - Seriously, I know this sounds mundane [...]
Just take the hood off completely 😂
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 01:40 PM   #27
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3

The biggest issue is heat and fluids.

1.) Change oil every 3-4k miles
2.) Warm up car fully before driving hogh in the revs
3.) Change trans, diff fluids every 60k miles
4.) WRAP TURBOS IN HEAT BLANKETS (PTP)
5.) Wrap coolanymt lines (over engine) i heat reflective material.
6.) Wrap downpipes with heat exhaust wraps.
7.) Remove engine cover
8.) Catch cans (not critical)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 09:02 PM   #28
Stamps
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85

Can someone link the correct PTP turbo blankets?
Appreciate 0