United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastern X5M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacejamm_x5m View Post
HR VTF springs. shaved down read bump stops
Seriously? That's great. That's a sick rig!

How does the ride compare with stock in each of the three settings? Can you even use comfort mode, does it even make sense now? I'm in MA so I'm a little concerned about banging up wheels.

I'm on OEM 21" 612s and might stick with them. Might put on a set of 22" at some point, haven't decided yet. So it's a matter of drop and what kind of spacers to use if any.

If you have any specific details you can PM me, please send them over. I could use actual settings/heights. Spacer sizes. How much you shaved the bump stops, things like that.

Thanks
Don't PM details! Post the details here so people can use this thread for their research as well! I'm also shopping suspension and want to learn as much about every set up as I can! lol
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2021, 09:57 AM   #46
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
The bump stops I purchased were with the DINAN kit but they are just M5 bump stops that are shorter. From what I was told cutting the bump stop makes it more harsh than leaving the stock ones in because you're hitting it dead center versus where it was designed to take the impact if and when it does bottom out.
Bump stops will always cause bounciness when rode on and a bang when you bottom out. Their only job is to protect from damage. Shaved vs stock will only be different by the amount of travel allowed. The impact when bottoming out will be the same. Cut them too short and they will fail and you can damage your components.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 11:24 AM   #47
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Cutting it will make bottoming out more harsh if it is a progressive bump stop. Similar to cutting a progressive suspension spring which will make the ride worse rather than improve.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #48
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Cutting it will make bottoming out more harsh if it is a progressive bump stop. Similar to cutting a progressive suspension spring which will make the ride worse rather than improve.

Springs and stops are not relative though. Anytime you hit the stops you are going to hear a loud crash. They are progressive not to soften the shock in the cabin but to protect the components. So if you are hitting your stops on smaller bumps you need to raise the height, you'll also be bouncing. Shortening springs has a whole different impact on the suspension behavior as they are constantly under load. Stops are a failsafe, springs are relative to performance management. People cut the stops to increase the throw so the car is only bottoming out under extreme circumstances rather than every bump.
Appreciate 2
      03-05-2021, 08:23 AM   #49
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

They are relative if both are designed to be progressive. If it is standard bump stop then cut away all you want. If it is progress I would not recommend. In addition if one is spending nearly $5k on new suspension why cut corners are a $30-50 set of rubber bits? Whenever I install new suspension I swap out all the supporting parts as well so it is dialed in perfectly after corner-balance alignment and I never have to address it again.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 09:29 AM   #50
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

I cut about .75 inch off the oem bump stop, then retapered the contour using a bench grinder to make it conical ( ie progressive again)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 12:10 AM   #51
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M TTFUN View Post
I, like many here in this forum have tried to save money and kept the use of edc in our X5M's. We all wanted that lower stout look, along with great handling! We all hoped that when we installed H&R adjustable lowering springs, we found a way to save money by taking a short cut to lowering our vehicles. What 99% of us found is that we should of listened to all the posts that suggested to not waste our money on lowering springs! Keep in mind, I have used H&R on other cars and they worked great. The X5m just weighs too much and what ever height you set them at, your never going to get a better ride then stock or better yet, KW coilovers! If bouncing and hitting your bump stops is what your looking for, then you found the answer, go with lowering springs. However, if your looking to lower your car, have a great handling SUV and not have a bouncy ride, then save yourself time and aggravation and go with coilovers! Keep in mind, there's a lot of us that tried lowering springs and pretty much all of us regret it. Good luck with which ever way you go! Also, once you lower, then you have to spend more money on KMAC adjustable bushings so you don't go through a ton of tires!
Damn, I read this two sets of lowering springs + labor too late.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 07:34 PM   #52
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Are the bumpstops everybody is referring to, the F10 M5 that are comparable to Dinan bumpstops?
Appreciate 1
9vapors648.00
      09-23-2022, 12:55 AM   #53
Slickrick2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018-X5M-BLK Sapphire Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue By You View Post
Please post a few if you have the springs installed.

And please save the comments about coilovers...

Thanks, Chris
What did you finally end up doing in regard to springs or Coil overs?
      09-23-2022, 06:28 AM   #54
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicteal_M3 View Post
Are the bumpstops everybody is referring to, the F10 M5 that are comparable to Dinan bumpstops?
That's the ones I used…
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2023, 06:46 PM   #55
ture_7
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85

I know this might too old but I would like to give me experience with the H&R VTF Kit. I had similar worries as most people do. I checked post after post looking for answers as I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg.

I ended up getting it installed this past Friday. I live in NYC, I got it done at Tyrolsport in Queens.
Qouted price was 900 including alignment. 750 without.

Initial thoughts were not good. But I realized the rears were very low. Especially in the rear. So this afternoon it was nice out I jacked up the car and adjusted the leveling lines and by sheer random luck, after I was done the rears sit at 30 1/2 on passenger side fender to floor and 30 1/4 on driver side.
The fronts both were at 30 1/5". So I'll adjust them next time when I have time.

After the rear were adjusted, it rides like stock to be honest. But a bit taut due to the front stiffer springs.
So all those peeps that said don't drop it too low, are correct. I may try to go to 29.3/4" on front and 30 even on rear. And see if that sti works.

Good luck to anyone looking for info on this.
Appreciate 2
musa421.50
iconoclast7265.50
      03-28-2023, 02:28 PM   #56
ture_7
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85

Update:
Yesterday, after driving 30 miles to work and 30 miles home, i noticed that at 30"-30 1/2" is probably the lowest you should lower the car - fender to floor measurement.
I hit quite a few bumps/road imperfections from Queens into the Cross Bronx Expressway into NJ. Only once it sounded like it bottomed out and had that loud crash that everyone is trying to stay away from. It was a "seam" in the road not a real bump or pothole. it was weird.
Its true that it will depend on your roads, and the height you have it set at and what you are comfortable with. The lower you go, the higher chance of getting that bounciness and bottoming out.

This generally happened on SPORT + mode when driving. I believe, if i drove in comfort mode, it might have been better, but i may drive home today on COMFORT mode all the way, but need to keep testing on SPORT + to be sure what i am hitting to cause it.

Permit me to try to explain a bit:
The H&R VTF kit only changes the front springs, not any of the shocks, so the ride will be near identical to stock at the same given height. Of course it might be a slight bit better due to the stiffer springs and slightly lower ride height.
It also changes the leveling sensor "rod" that just modifies the signal to raise or lower the airbags.

If you set the car on comfort, it should valve the shocks to try to absorb the motions.
Set it to SPORT + and it should reduce the vavle opening to 'stiffen' up the ride if im not mistaken. Now the rear shocks are not shorter thus doesnt have the same amount of travel since at the lower or lowest setting, the shock is near or at the bottom of the shock, hence bottoming out or damage if it wasnt for the bump stops.
Cutting or installing the M5 short stops helps provide a bit more travel, but only a very small amount. again because the shock body is not shorten.
If it was shortened, then lowering to 29" or 28" could be feasible.
Here is what i dont know - when car is in comfort mode, does it raise the car?
In sport +, does it lower the car? if it does, that could explain why i seem to experience the bottoming out only in sport +.

I am using the stock bump stops in the rear. I may replace them with the M5 Comp bump stops and leave the rear at 30 1/2" to prevent a chance to 'bottom" out, since i almost always drive in SPORT + mode.
The front should be safer to lower to 29 1/2" with the M5 bump stops. This is prob what i'll do next.
Please note, i am not a suspension expert and if someone here is, please feel free to chime in and correct me.

Last edited by ture_7; 03-28-2023 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
shimmy232348.50
      03-29-2023, 09:08 AM   #57
rblynn78
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5M

I have the VTFs and I have no issues. My shop that put them in said the rears can be tricky to install and have to be done right for the truck to ride well. I am not a mechanic by any means, so I am not sure what they did different, but I know they had to adjust, take it off the lift, adjust, off the lift several times for the rears. I find the truck rides quite well, not bouncy and feels very planted. I also love the lowered stance. Name:  X5M.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  515.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 10:50 AM   #58
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblynn78 View Post
I have the VTFs and I have no issues. My shop that put them in said the rears can be tricky to install and have to be done right for the truck to ride well. I am not a mechanic by any means, so I am not sure what they did different, but I know they had to adjust, take it off the lift, adjust, off the lift several times for the rears. I find the truck rides quite well, not bouncy and feels very planted. I also love the lowered stance. Attachment 3142057
Are you still liking the VTF's ?
Are they these ? (VTF adjustable springs for 799 ?)

https://www.hrsprings.com/applicatio...s/4/1767/2016/