07-22-2019, 02:42 PM   #45
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewx5m View Post
Agree with KcTiger...@daytonaviolet can you explain the likes and dislikes of the stock setup vs h&r vtf vs kw? I'm looking to upgrade to the h&r vtf bc i like the adjustability of stock settings but if the KW improves the car's abilities, I might reconsider haha thanks for the input
in terms of handling on smooth even surfaces, both handle about the same. the spring rates on both feel the same at least on public roads. the differences which i notice between the two is the bounce.

the h&r vtf uses the oem shocks which has no dampening settings. bmw shocks are intended to work well with the oem springs only. the combination of the h&r vtf and oem shocks, doesn't create the smoothest ride possible as the shocks were designed for the oem springs. as long as your on a smooth and even surface, the ride is great. but once you hit a few uneven surfaces and the car bounces, it bounces more then it should. seems to be lacking dampening.

the kw v3 comes with dampening shocks (bump and rebound settings). these shocks was a wide range of settings which help smoothen out most of the bounce caused by unsmooth and uneven surfaces. these dampening shocks are tuned to work with lowered springs which gives the car a more versatile smoother ride.

currently i haven't tried out any settings except the kw recommended setting 6 from the install instructions. when i have more time, i'll try out the settings which kruppa posted. but overall i'm much happier with the kw ride vs the h&r because of the dampening compression and rebound settings.

Last edited by daytonaviolet; 10-04-2019 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
KCTiger522.50
donut_boi997.50
      07-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #46
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phara View Post
I thought it was 9 click rebound for the rear axle?
here's some info from tirerack. it has 14 settings and i set mine to the recommended setting of 6/6 front 6/9 rear (bump and rebound dampening)

Description
Lea en espaņol
"Race technology for the road with adjustable compression and rebound damping"

State-of-the-art motorsport technology for proven performance on the streets. The independently adjustable compression and rebound damping allows for custom driving set-ups. The exclusive KW patented system has dual-level valves to provide the adjustment of the rebound damping (comfort) and the compression damping (driving dynamics) in the low-speed range. High-speed settings for driving comfort are preset by KW engineers.

Independently adjustable damping technology (rebound and compression damping)
"inox-line" stainless steel technology*
Individual height adjustment
Infinitely adjustable rebound damping
14-level adjustable compression damping
Unique, independently functioning damping power adjustment
TÜV-tested adjustment parameters
High-quality components for long life
Comprehensive documentation for ease of use

Last edited by daytonaviolet; 10-04-2019 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 2
Phara107.00
donut_boi997.50
      07-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #47
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Very helpful DV, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 08:17 PM   #48
Blewx5m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5m

Thanks! It seems best to wait and get the KW.. Another item to add to the mod list 🤣
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #49
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! It seems best to wait and get the KW.. Another item to add to the mod list 🤣
Same boat brother!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 07:56 AM   #50
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
Quote:
Same boat brother!
Someone is selling a used set in the classifieds, if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #51
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox73 View Post
Someone is selling a used set in the classifieds, if that helps.
Damn, I am tempted to purchase those. Thanks for letting me know.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #52
donut_boi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 X5M DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
Damn, I am tempted to purchase those. Thanks for letting me know.
That would be me KCTiger thats selling the KWs. Let me know
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      10-01-2019, 01:13 PM   #53
KDKE30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 M50D

Welcome! thank you very much for raising the topic! I still have H&R vtf and it's a tragedy! my wife doesn't want to drive our x, but I saw a light in the tunnel, even though when I ordered kw v3 I wasn't sure if it would be better, thank you for such comments, I feel calmer that it is money well spent as opposed to hr vtf. Do all who recommend kw v3 have springs at the front and pneumatics at the rear? do you all have 4 springs? Please show some photos how your dropped x look at the setting where you can ride with good bounce. how low are you and how do you count it? previous photos have unfortunately expired. Thank you
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #54
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDKE30 View Post
Welcome! thank you very much for raising the topic! I still have H&R vtf and it's a tragedy! my wife doesn't want to drive our x, but I saw a light in the tunnel, even though when I ordered kw v3 I wasn't sure if it would be better, thank you for such comments, I feel calmer that it is money well spent as opposed to hr vtf. Do all who recommend kw v3 have springs at the front and pneumatics at the rear? do you all have 4 springs? Please show some photos how your dropped x look at the setting where you can ride with good bounce. how low are you and how do you count it? previous photos have unfortunately expired. Thank you
You'll love the kw v3 as I also went from vtf to kw. Here's my setup with 29.75" (front max drop) and 30" rears.
Appreciate 1
donut_boi997.50
      10-02-2019, 08:35 PM   #55
donut_boi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 X5M DGM

Im at 30" all around with front set at 6/6 front and 6/9 rear (bump/rebound). This is the factory recommended setting from KW but will be trying 6/8 and 6/10 soon which are very similar to Kruppa setting of 6/9 and 6/10.
Appreciate 2
      10-03-2019, 02:46 AM   #56
KDKE30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
Quote:
You'll love the kw v3 as I also went from vtf to kw. Here's my setup with 29.75" (front max drop) and 30" rears.
Quote:
Quote:
thank you but no pictures have been added, do you have springs or air at the back? and how do you count those 30 "?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 02:35 PM   #57
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
thank you but no pictures have been added, do you have springs or air at the back? and how do you count those 30 "?
I tried adding pics yesterday but the forum wouldn't allow it. As far as I know all f85 has bags.

Appreciate 2
donut_boi997.50
SupersixM201.50
      10-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #58
KDKE30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I tried adding pics yesterday but the forum wouldn't allow it. As far as I know all f85 has bags.

thank you, in fact they probably all have air, I can't wait until I put on my kw v3 sz and you can tell me how do you count the lowering? as for calibration? from the bottom edge of the rim to the edge of the wheel arch? or some other way? is this the maximum level of lowering?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 01:42 PM   #59
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
thank you, in fact they probably all have air, I can't wait until I put on my kw v3 sz and you can tell me how do you count the lowering? as for calibration? from the bottom edge of the rim to the edge of the wheel arch? or some other way? is this the maximum level of lowering?

please correct me if i'm wrong but this is my understanding

there are total of 14 settings. turn clockwise all the way until you cant turn it any more. this should be setting 1. now count backwards for each click.

top adjustment - rebound
bottom adjustment - bump

height - i measure from the gnd to the edge of the wheel arch. to me this is easier to compare changes and also with other cars (assuming same wheel/tire sizes).

maximum lowering - stock height is ~ 31.75" all around. according to kw Avg. low .4-1.6"F & 0.4-1.4"R.

front max drop ~ 30.15. i'm at ~ 29.75"
rear max drop ~ 30.35. i'm at ~ 30"

compared to vtf Avg. low 1.4-2.2"F & 1.2-2.0"R

front max drop ~ 29.5
rear max drop ~ 27.75
Appreciate 2
      10-04-2019, 09:23 PM   #60
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, F80 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruppa View Post
Alright. It's done. Installed. I only have 3 hours of driving so far and I spent a lot of money on these so I'm wary of that and trying to be objective.

My opinion. Do it. Too expensive? Make your kid set up a lemonade stand. No kid? Make your pet an influencer on social media. No pets? Sell your bodily fluids.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Low AND comfortable. I have front dampening/rebound set at +4 and rear at +5 (to clarify this is +4/+5 from the softest setting). There's about 2 threads left to go lower but I'm happy with the height. It's ~30" ground to fender. Not every kit is sent out the same because mine were all set at 0 (which the instructions specifically say is not recommended), others I've PM'd with were set at 8.

I haven't been on the stock setup since last October but this is no firmer and the handling is superior. It's a night and day difference from the VTFs I've been running with the road conditions in New England. The biggest difference I notice is on patches with many small road imperfections that would make me harshly jump around before are now handled gracefully and incredibly well absorbed with nothing I would consider being firm or harsh. My full enjoyment driving the M has been restored. I'll post back with more thoughts after some time and once I can set a baseline for myself and see if I want to adjust up/down for height/rebound/dampening.

If anybody is around southern MA and wants a ride hit me up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruppa View Post
Alright. It's done. Installed. I only have 3 hours of driving so far and I spent a lot of money on these so I'm wary of that and trying to be objective.

My opinion. Do it. Too expensive? Make your kid set up a lemonade stand. No kid? Make your pet an influencer on social media. No pets? Sell your bodily fluids.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Low AND comfortable. I have front dampening/rebound set at +4 and rear at +5 (to clarify this is +4/+5 from the softest setting). There's about 2 threads left to go lower but I'm happy with the height. It's ~30" ground to fender. Not every kit is sent out the same because mine were all set at 0 (which the instructions specifically say is not recommended), others I've PM'd with were set at 8.

I haven't been on the stock setup since last October but this is no firmer and the handling is superior. It's a night and day difference from the VTFs I've been running with the road conditions in New England. The biggest difference I notice is on patches with many small road imperfections that would make me harshly jump around before are now handled gracefully and incredibly well absorbed with nothing I would consider being firm or harsh. My full enjoyment driving the M has been restored. I'll post back with more thoughts after some time and once I can set a baseline for myself and see if I want to adjust up/down for height/rebound/dampening.

If anybody is around southern MA and wants a ride hit me up.
Did Farley @eurotechmotorsports do the install for you? Car looks very familiar!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 03:24 AM   #61
KDKE30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

there are total of 14 settings. turn clockwise all the way until you cant turn it any more. this should be setting 1. now count backwards for each click.

top adjustment - rebound
bottom adjustment - bump

height - i measure from the gnd to the edge of the wheel arch. to me this is easier to compare changes and also with other cars (assuming same wheel/tire sizes).

maximum lowering - stock height is ~ 31.75" all around. according to kw Avg. low .4-1.6"F & 0.4-1.4"R.

front max drop ~ 29.5
rear max drop ~ 27.75
cool! thank you very much! now everything is clear to me. on Thursday I will put my kw the last question, with these settings bump / rebound / height you have is everything ok and the car does not jump and is not as hard as on hr vtf?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #62
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

We installed a set on mine yesterday, at my shop. It took less than 3 hours, start to finish.
I charge $125 per hour, so that would be $375. I actually would probably charge $500 though. My lead tech has worked for me for 15 years. He is extremely good and very fast. I can't charge less just because he's faster than most.
This did NOT include alignment though. I ll take it to my local tire guy once I settle on height.
I'm only posting this as a reference because I see people paying outrageous prices for installing these. If someone tells you it's like 7 hours or something, they are being less than truthful. (I'm being polite here)
Appreciate 3
F85MTuNED1620.50
SupersixM201.50
GotV8?1048.50
      10-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #63
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTEPRO View Post
We installed a set on mine yesterday, at my shop. It took less than 3 hours, start to finish.
I charge $125 per hour, so that would be $375. I actually would probably charge $500 though. My lead tech has worked for me for 15 years. He is extremely good and very fast. I can't charge less just because he's faster than most.
This did NOT include alignment though. I ll take it to my local tire guy once I settle on height.
I'm only posting this as a reference because I see people paying outrageous prices for installing these. If someone tells you it's like 7 hours or something, they are being less than truthful. (I'm being polite here)
Thanks for the info. I got estimates from two shops in my area with recommendations from folks on this board. One was $730 and the other $1,200. Wish I could have you do it lol. And those prices were without alignment as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 08:18 PM   #64
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

top adjustment - rebound
bottom adjustment - bump

front max drop ~ 29.5
rear max drop ~ 27.75
cool! thank you very much! now everything is clear to me. on Thursday I will put my kw the last question, with these settings bump / rebound / height you have is everything ok and the car does not jump and is not as hard as on hr vtf?
Take at look at donut_boi's settings above. I think the fact you went from vtf to kw will be a huge change. The settings you chose depends on how low you choose to go and it's all subjective based on how much bounce you can tolerate. But I would start with the kw recommended settings of fronts 6/6 and rears 6/9.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 12:58 AM   #65
KDKE30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

top adjustment - rebound
bottom adjustment - bump

front max drop ~ 29.5
rear max drop ~ 27.75
Take at look at donut_boi's settings above. I think the fact you went from vtf to kw will be a huge change. The settings you chose depends on how low you choose to go and it's all subjective based on how much bounce you can tolerate. But I would start with the kw recommended settings of fronts 6/6 and rears 6/9.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

top adjustment - rebound
bottom adjustment - bump

front max drop ~ 29.5
rear max drop ~ 27.75
gentlemen, last question, the values ​​you give as 6/9 count from the maximum value twisted on + or on -? + is it softer and - harder or vice versa?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #66
spaghettiM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M and 95 M3

Quote:

Damn dude, that looks great! I definitely need to go this route in the near future. It's nice to see what my exact setup would be (I have MW and 21's)
Appreciate 0