BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-30-2021, 01:06 PM   #1
Jszlaga
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

Garage List
Was washing my car the other day and noticed my interior door panels at the bottom on all but 1 door are like bubbling up. Has anyone seen this before? Any idea what might be causing this? My 4 year 50k mile warranty is up in October so I'll go get it checked out but was wondering if anyone on here has ever seen this personally or come across a post. Any input is appreciated. See pics below. Hard to tell but hopefully you can notice what I'm talking about.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 02:19 PM   #2
J0hnnyB0yx5m
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

My passenger rear has same bubbling or whatever u want to call it.. deff going to show them next time I go into dealer..
Appreciate 1
Jszlaga443.50
      05-30-2021, 03:44 PM   #3
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

It definitely seems like water that has soaked into the backer board. My passenger front is really bad below the door pocket. Unfortunately, the car came to me this way (out of state dealer didn't disclose), so I've just sort of forgotten about it. Drives me nuts when I think about it. My Indy said it could be a drain issue....even sunroof drains which are common issues. I'm under factory warranty, but never brought it in for this since it didn't happen in my ownership. Will be very interested to see what your dealer says. New door panel is like $2600. I brought mine to a well respected upholstery guy to see if he could re-cover the panel below the seem. Said he could, but I wouldn't like the result.
Appreciate 3
Jszlaga443.50
1230vani637.00
SupersixM201.50
      05-30-2021, 04:53 PM   #4
640ijims
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M , 14%E2%80%99640i ver

Garage List
2018 X5///M  [7.50]
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Gonna. Heck bottom all door for this on Monday
Appreciate 1
Jszlaga443.50
      05-30-2021, 05:31 PM   #5
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

This happened to mine, but at the top of both front doors. BMW replaced the panels under warranty.
      05-30-2021, 06:17 PM   #6
Jszlaga
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
This happened to mine, but at the top of both front doors. BMW replaced the panels under warranty.
Thank you for the insight. Was it water getting in? If so from where? Hopefully warranty will cover for me as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 06:19 PM   #7
Jszlaga
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab23 View Post
It definitely seems like water that has soaked into the backer board. My passenger front is really bad below the door pocket. Unfortunately, the car came to me this way (out of state dealer didn't disclose), so I've just sort of forgotten about it. Drives me nuts when I think about it. My Indy said it could be a drain issue....even sunroof drains which are common issues. I'm under factory warranty, but never brought it in for this since it didn't happen in my ownership. Will be very interested to see what your dealer says. New door panel is like $2600. I brought mine to a well respected upholstery guy to see if he could re-cover the panel below the seem. Said he could, but I wouldn't like the result.
Thank you. Very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 06:30 PM   #8
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jszlaga View Post
Thank you for the insight. Was it water getting in? If so from where? Hopefully warranty will cover for me as well.
I’m not sure, it might have been from the window tint job. I believe they (BMW) determined that it was due to a reaction of the glue (the line you see) and water, or something like that.
I hope they cover it for you too.
      05-30-2021, 08:03 PM   #9
islandman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M F86

Had the same thing happen to my passenger door where the lock is located. Absolutely drove me crazy. I had that single top panel re-upholstered and it's perfect again.
Appreciate 1
Jszlaga443.50
      05-30-2021, 08:58 PM   #10
spyfish007
Getting older, but I still love awesome fast cars!
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M & 2016 Z4 sDrive35is

I noticed this on many X6Ms when I was looking to buy mine. I have a little bit and I need to talk to the dealer before the warranty runs out.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 12:32 AM   #11
JVX6M
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfish007 View Post
I noticed this on many X6Ms when I was looking to buy mine. I have a little bit and I need to talk to the dealer before the warranty runs out.
Very popular issue that's not spoken of I think… Before purchasing mine I saw this water damage on many others to the point I knew to look for it…. Maybe it's coming from high pressure washes getting through the rubber seal door surrounds
Appreciate 1
Jszlaga443.50
      05-31-2021, 07:09 AM   #12
Yuille36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVX6M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfish007 View Post
Very popular issue that's not spoken of I think… Before purchasing mine I saw this water damage on many others to the point I knew to look for it…. Maybe it's coming from high pressure washes getting through the rubber seal door surrounds
I'm convinced that this is due to water damage, how water got in there is anyone's guess, but I have it on the drivers door only. And I think about it anymore.
      05-31-2021, 08:23 AM   #13
spyfish007
Getting older, but I still love awesome fast cars!
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M & 2016 Z4 sDrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVX6M View Post
I do have a bit of wind noise so I am going to find out if that is correlated. I used to take my M550 through car wash and now problem there but that could be because the lower door was made differently.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 08:50 PM   #14
blown99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M

Same thing on my X6M, all 4 doors. Still under warranty but dealer says it's from window tinting. Really wondering now that I'm seeing is rather common 🤔
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 10:37 PM   #15
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Let's get this resolved.

I have it on my passenger door.

2016 X5M, purchased as CPO. Still under factory warranty, car arrived like this, was not disclosed, and it's too late for me to do anything about it with seller (BMW SF).

I have gone to my dealer, they want no part of it. I have reached out to BMWUS and they wanted to send a "special" adjuster out to view the car. This has not happened as the dealers "head adjuster" denied the repair.

The important part is, and this IS EVERYTHING, the head adjuster claimed he's never seen this damage and it must be user caused.

I'm really happy to have found this thread. This is absolute bullshit snd BMWUS should stand behind this defect just like they would any mechanical defect. I was asked to pay $2600 for a new door and that was what pissed me off the most.

With this many affected cars we can do something.

My car is garaged 24/7 and has seen rain maybe once. I think this is glue that they used to glue the leather to the molding on the bottom door panels. Water would not cause this damage to dry glue. Again, my car lives in the garage and no other door are effected.

With this many affected cars we can do something. I bet there are more. I also genuinely believe the head adjuster butthead was full of shit when he said he's never seen this before. He's the main guy for all the SoCal dealerships. Deceit is what will do them in.
      06-10-2021, 04:05 PM   #16
X5eM
Rep
Drives: X5M (F85)

Interesting, I don't have it on my door but rather the top of my dash by the AC Vent. Dealer wanted no part of it but I guess I should speak to BMW of USA. Thanks for the thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 05:41 AM   #17
Yuille36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
This could be caused by clogged drain holes in the doors, just saying. As I don’t really know the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 09:12 AM   #18
scotte9011
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

When I was looking for my x5m last summer, I saw this exact issue on several x5m interiors. Every single one had some degree of this exact squiggly line defect on the front doors. This was on 4-5 f85 x5ms with less than 30k miles, all in the new England area.

I searched for this issue after I saw this on the first x5m I looked at, but couldn't find anything about it online.

As previous poster mentioned, once you know to look for it, you will always find it.
Even the one I ended up buying had a small spot on the driver's door near the foot well.

Also as noted previously, the squiggly line damage is very prominent right under neath the front door windows. I asked every dealership if it was possible water or sun damage, but they never gave me a straight answer.

You will also find this squiggly line damage on some seat bottom and side bolsters, front and back. Although this seems more rare.

It's also worth mentioning that all the f85s I checked out had light interiors, Silverstone, smoke white, or beige, so the dmg really stuck out.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 10:48 AM   #19
blown99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: Took my ride back in for service and mentioned the doors again. Showed the shop foreman, he started to talk about window tint, door pane removal etc…. I told him I had done some research and it appears to be much more common than they would like to admit and it's likely not caused by the above factors and more likely poor materials or design. They said they would reach out to BMW and see if they would do anything. Figured they were blowing smoke and wouldn't do anything, whelp just got the message from service that BMW approved replacement of all 4 doors and they would take 3-4 weeks to arrive from Germany!!

Persistence and teamwork pays off! Cheers to everyone here for working on this as well
Appreciate 4
JVX6M166.00
jab23222.00
Jszlaga443.50
      06-23-2021, 02:49 PM   #20
JVX6M
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown99 View Post
UPDATE: Took my ride back in for service and mentioned the doors again. Showed the shop foreman, he started to talk about window tint, door pane removal etc…. I told him I had done some research and it appears to be much more common than they would like to admit and it's likely not caused by the above factors and more likely poor materials or design. They said they would reach out to BMW and see if they would do anything. Figured they were blowing smoke and wouldn't do anything, whelp just got the message from service that BMW approved replacement of all 4 doors and they would take 3-4 weeks to arrive from Germany!!

Persistence and teamwork pays off! Cheers to everyone here for working on this as well
Like I mentioned above when I was looking to buy I was seeing this on the pre owned ones so that's great your able to get new ones…. My guess is shitty rubber seals dunno why but…
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 07:11 AM   #21
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Quote:

Are you the original owner?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 02:59 PM   #22
blown99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab23 View Post
Quote:

Are you the original owner?
Negative. Bought it used about 6 months ago
Appreciate 0