BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-20-2022, 11:25 AM   #23
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

I got the BMS one, it came with one of either side. All it does it T in between the crankcase and intake, one on either side. I suppose you could use one, but you'd need 2inlets and 2outlets.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 11:46 AM   #24
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

BMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
I got the BMS one, it came with one of either side. All it does it T in between the crankcase and intake, one on either side. I suppose you could use one, but you'd need 2inlets and 2outlets.
Ah gotcha, I got yours confused with Cbozz's...

I saw a BMS one for the M5 S63TU, but not for the F85. Can you direct me to the exact kit you bought? You said it comes with everything for the two catch cans, hosing, etc right?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 12:43 PM   #25
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue By You View Post
Got the cap, thank you.

Turner/ECS is telling me that I only need one catch can. But I notice you guys are using two. You went with the SpeedWow one right? Any specific reason why?
i used two cans because there would be way too many hoses otherwise...
it looks cleaner this way..
I got the speedway as well.. they were like 60 or 80 total on amazon.. reason why i got those is they have a filter so no vapors will make it through and I already got some oil in the can after few months... instal was easy and they fit just right under the hood.. I wish they didn't have those dip sticks because they add height but its ok.
      08-20-2022, 01:40 PM   #26
9vapors
Major
Rep

Yup, just the M5 one and modified it… I got some extra heater type hose from autozone. I went with the BMS one because it comes with the adapters to go into the OEM snap fitting. I asked, and of course they don't sell them separate… I posted a bunch of pics of the steps I did when making it fit, it's not too far off, just routing the hoses can be a challenge. Main thing to consider is that I have the RK intakes, so it was much easier. Lastly, consider you won't be able to fit your engine cover back on without modification as well, because there is not a cutout for the hoses you add. I didn't use mine anyway…

https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...u-bmw-m-engine
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2022, 04:28 PM   #27
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

Cool

Quote:
Yup, just the M5 one and modified it… I got some extra heater type hose from autozone. I went with the BMS one because it comes with the adapters to go into the OEM snap fitting. I asked, and of course they don't sell them separate… I posted a bunch of pics of the steps I did when making it fit, it's not too far off, just routing the hoses can be a challenge. Main thing to consider is that I have the RK intakes, so it was much easier. Lastly, consider you won't be able to fit your engine cover back on without modification as well, because there is not a cutout for the hoses you add. I didn't use mine anyway…

https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...u-bmw-m-engine
Great thank you
Appreciate 1
9vapors645.50
      10-26-2022, 03:58 PM   #28
REVELDE_89
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Didn't see this post until now. I've gone through a bunch of different setups as on the previous gen M's & 50i's (E70)you had connections that went to the lower intakes there were under both boost or vacuum depending on the driving conditions and it was a much more complicated setup then the F85's, complete with flapper valves and one-way check valves embedded in the CCV tubes along with cross-bank connection tubes....needless to say its an over engineered complicated mess. Luckily for the F85 BMW made it much simpler. I never experienced any issues with idle on any setup that blocked the CCV inlets on the turbo intakes.

I am currently running a setup that directs all CC gases through catch cans with sintered bronze filters then direct to a Moroso crankcase evac system in the exhaust. So there is zero CC gases being reintroduced to the engine. And yes of course I only drive this way off-road on a closed course in Mexico. I haven't seen any drawbacks to this system yet, and the header evac system pulls a few pounds of vacuum under full throttle, which is about the same as what the intakes pull under full throttle. The intakes are completely free of any oily residue now and I have noticed a slight bump in timing. I also believe this system can save your rod bearings as IMHO the reason why this platform suffers from random rod bearing failure is due to LSPI (Low Speed Pre-Ignition) constantly bearing on the rod bearings through oil film failure under LSPI events caused by high-boost low rpm + oil intake gases, espeically those running tunes.

Now if I had a F85 and I wanted absolute performance, zero oily blow-by gasses in my intake, decreased chance of LSPI, and was not worried about emissions compliance I would:

1 - Cap the CCV ports on the turbo inlets

2 - Install catch-cans of your choice (recommend the units with the Bronze sintered filters, catches everything, even water vapor).

3 - Install Moroso crankcase evac kit and run the output from the catch cans to the evac kit.

Catch cans may seem redundant if you are just pumping all the CC gases out the exhaust but in reality it is just as important to keep your exhaust from smoking under heavy throttle from the burning of the oil residue.

I will take the time to write up and post on how I installed the Moroso crankcase evac kit using a method that doesn't require any welding under the truck as the exhaust on the E70 is identical to the F85 if there is enough interest.

Paging Sophisticated Redneck I too would love this write up!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 08:31 PM   #29
9vapors
Major
Rep

As a revisit to this, I've checked both catch cans often and there is nothing, not even condensation in them. Bone dry. I've connected them according to the instructions. Kind of thinking these are unnecessary on the TU.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 12:00 AM   #30
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVELDE_89 View Post
Paging Sophisticated Redneck I too would love this write up!
Carbon free intake valve benefits aside, after noticing the horsepower bump from running CC evac tubes in the exhaust and the reduction in knock related events, I thought it would be great to make a easy to install kit and developed a way to install them that does not require welding/taking to a shop. If you can operate a drill, then you can install this kit yourself and the added benefit they can easily be removed to return the CCV system to stock at anytime.

Currently I am in the middle of developing the touch screen LCD display that will control the solenoid operated valves that will allow you to switch the system at will (or set it to trigger at a certain rpm) when the CCV gases are directed to the exhaust instead of the intakes (system is wireless so no punching holes through the firewall). I will make a separate post about it as I get closer to the kits release (estimated in 2-3 months) along with performance data.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 10-27-2022 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 12:10 AM   #31
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
As a revisit to this, I've checked both catch cans often and there is nothing, not even condensation in them. Bone dry. I've connected them according to the instructions. Kind of thinking these are unnecessary on the TU.
In my testing of about a half dozen different catch-can designs, only catch cans with sintered bronze 50 micron filters caught anything more then what the internal stock were already filtering on the S63TU, Example: https://www.amazon.com/SPEEDWOW-Micr.../dp/B086HCNR6Y
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 02:35 AM   #32
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

My guess would be because of the oil separator inside the valve covers.

I couldn't find the P/N for the F85s but on the 50i and the F10 M5 they both have it. Checked the F90 and that has it as well(didnt snap). So if our engine does have this separator. The only way for us to really see a benefit from the catch can would be to get rid of it.

Whilst I do like the idea of having it removed, and not having those internal valves that can clog up. Valve cover has to come off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 01:40 PM   #33
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 f85

OP any updates on the catch cans, you collecting any oil ? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 11:57 AM   #34
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentprotony@gmail.com View Post
OP any updates on the catch cans, you collecting any oil ? Thanks
oh yeah!!!
      02-27-2023, 08:51 PM   #35
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
oh yeah!!!
I am considering installing a set, thinking how to do that and keep my stock cover. How much fluid are you collecting, how often do you drain them ? Also what set up are you using?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 03:12 PM   #36
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am considering installing a set, thinking how to do that and keep my stock cover. How much fluid are you collecting, how often do you drain them ? Also what set up are you using?
I used a generic cans from Amazon, they had the filers in them so I went for them. I can post some pictures for you to see but pretty much bought couple of 1” I think hoses and hooked those up around the engine cover. I had to trim the cover just so slightly.
Whole setup was under $100..
I collect a little bit of oil. I would say about 1/4 inch of it on the bottom within a year or so.. nothing crazy luckily.
      03-01-2023, 05:35 PM   #37
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I used a generic cans from Amazon, they had the filers in them so I went for them. I can post some pictures for you to see but pretty much bought couple of 1” I think hoses and hooked those up around the engine cover. I had to trim the cover just so slightly.
Whole setup was under $100..
I collect a little bit of oil. I would say about 1/4 inch of it on the bottom within a year or so.. nothing crazy luckily.
Gotcha, im sure many on here including myself would appreciate a few pictures of your occ set up for some install ideas, i got some ordered from amazon as well
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 09:04 PM   #38
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Gotcha, im sure many on here including myself would appreciate a few pictures of your occ set up for some install ideas, i got some ordered from amazon as well
So this is about as much as I got after 2 months. It's about 5 times more now and it's been about 7 months...(I have 2 cans)
Attached Images

03-01-2023, 09:15 PM   #39
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

So I used most of the hardware that came with the cans but also bought a fuel hose form AutoZone, one that fits over the nipples on the intake pipe, then I used a double male brass fitting to connect the larger 1" hose to a smaller 5/8" diameter hose that connects to the catch can:

here is where I got it:

https://amzn.to/3TSXQov

catch can can be found here:

https://amzn.to/3NTdM6p

rest is just routing the hoses to keep them out of the way.
Buy those hoses in excess.. you may need a lot.

in the pictures some show that 5/8" hose shoved into the nipples but that was before I got the reducer and could properly seal it. It's just tightly sitting on there now.. you don't need any clamps on it, there aren't any leaks and no pressure really goes through that pipe but it's all tight.
I also removed the squeezable part from the OEM fitting that plugs into the nipple on the intake pipe and slid the 5/8" hose on that fitting... the part you squeeze was in the way but without it everything fits perfectly!-- you can see that in a 3rd from last pic!
Attached Images

Last edited by Cbozz; 01-08-2024 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 02:21 PM   #40
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

VERY nice and stealthy install, i plan on going same route, also will likely shove 5/8 hoses into intake nipple and use 1” heat shrink over this to ensure nothing slides out/comes off. 100% nice job 👍

Quote:
So I used most of the hardware that came with the cans but also bought a fuel hose form AutoZone, one that fits over the nipples on the intake pipe, then I used a double male brass fitting to connect the larger 1" hose to a smaller 5/8" diameter hose that connects to the catch can:

here is where I got it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

catch can can be found here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rest is just routing the hoses to keep them out of the way.
Buy those hoses in excess.. you may need a lot.

in the pictures some show that 5/8" hose shoved into the nipples but that was before I got the reducer and could properly seal it. It's just tightly sitting on there now.. you don't need any clamps on it, there aren't any leaks and no pressure really goes through that pipe but it's all tight.
I also removed the squeezable part from the OEM fitting that plugs into the nipple on the intake pipe and slid the 5/8" hose on that fitting... the part you squeeze was in the way but without it everything fits perfectly!-- you can see that in a 3rd from last pic!
Appreciate 1
Cbozz677.00
      03-08-2023, 12:31 PM   #41
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

I got my OCC installed today, definitely not bad of a job but more involved than I initially expected. At the same time i replaced both ccv lines , i used speedwow occ off amazon, and a fuel 5/8 hose. I also used heat shrink tubing and wire loom over the hoses to make everything look oemish. Heat shrink also keeps the 5/8 hose in the inlet tube and it has glue inside so should prevent it from sliding out. Id say worst part of the job was making 5/8 hose fit over factory ccv lines. I had to trim /shave the ccv fittings down to reduce the dia. Otherwise everything straightforward, took may time to make sure everything clears and looks good. Now waiting to see any oil vapors lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
WZS_M13.00
      03-27-2023, 05:55 PM   #42
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Wanted to update everyone on the catch can i got installed. I haven’t even driven 200miles and heres what pass bank occ done caught. Other bank occ was wet but not even close. Definitely makes sense to run these, especially how cheap and easy the whole set up is.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 10:30 PM   #43
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wanted to update everyone on the catch can i got installed. I haven’t even driven 200miles and heres what pass bank occ done caught. Other bank occ was wet but not even close. Definitely makes sense to run these, especially how cheap and easy the whole set up is.
weirdly one of my OCCs gets more oil than the other as well.
I would say mine doesn't get as much oil as yours in 200 miles but I am also running the oil cap vent valve so that vents to air and maybe that's why I don't get as much oil in the cans...
      05-12-2023, 12:25 PM   #44
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

I will be changing a few things about my catch can set up, will update in a few days.

Last edited by dentprotony@gmail.com; 05-12-2023 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0