BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

01-22-2023, 08:10 PM   #23
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrt View Post
Depending on how well the development goes for the inlet I can absolutely start working on an intake solution as well. Should be stopping by the shop in the next week or two to start measuring everything out
should make a full titanium intake all the way to turbo
      01-22-2023, 08:24 PM   #24
mvrt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
should make a full titanium intake all the way to turbo
I like where your head is at
Appreciate 2
Cbozz688.50
9vapors650.00
      01-24-2023, 05:26 PM   #25
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Hey folks,

i noticed last night that one of the more common failures in the engine bay managed to make its way into my car, so rather than go and spend $150 on the same crappy plastic part that has been a point of failure for so many boosted BMW’s since the n54 days, I have decided to create an aftermarket upgrade for our platform.

I’ve reached out to my shop that has done custom work on my Supra as well as the x5 and we are currently in the process of designing a silicone inlet pipe solution.

That being said:

1.) if there are any of you interested in the final product, sound off below and subscribe to the thread.
2.) I will be posting photos and updates on the development once we get the car in there for measurements and test fitting.
3.) if there’s enough interest within the community, we will release it to the public.

Wish us luck!

Picture of the OEM turbo inlets (intake boot) for reference:
Titanium inlets would be awesome but trying manufacture the complex design needed for inlets at a decent price point would be an incredible challenge. I would instead look into making them out of a thermoplastic such as nylon6 with a 30% carbon fiber fill. It can handle the 250+ degree heat the inlets will see during shut down heatsoak. It is pricey stuff and not the easiest to work with but can be done. That is what I used for my E70 design I am coming out with that I have worked on and off for the past year. The Original N63 had particularly horrible inlets, very restrictive and fragile. Worked out really well, this 11 year old 186k mile engine is now producing X5M competition level hp (stock was 408). You could make some beefy inlets like I did that will never crack and last the lifetime of the engine.

Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 01-24-2023 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 3
mvrt49.50
9vapors650.00
      01-25-2023, 01:17 PM   #26
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Titanium inlets would be awesome but trying manufacture the complex design needed for inlets at a decent price point would be an incredible challenge. I would instead look into making them out of a thermoplastic such as nylon6 with a 30% carbon fiber fill. It can handle the 250+ degree heat the inlets will see during shut down heatsoak. It is pricey stuff and not the easiest to work with but can be done. That is what I used for my E70 design I am coming out with that I have worked on and off for the past year. The Original N63 had particularly horrible inlets, very restrictive and fragile. Worked out really well, this 11 year old 186k mile engine is now producing X5M competition level hp (stock was 408). You could make some beefy inlets like I did that will never crack and last the lifetime of the engine.

nice! would this fit f85 platform?
      01-25-2023, 04:40 PM   #27
twonb1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Interested
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 04:43 PM   #28
mvrt
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
just off the pics it seems like a totally different design, IDK too much about n63's but i would imagine the routing is different
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 05:55 PM   #29
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
just off the pics it seems like a totally different design, IDK too much about n63's but i would imagine the routing is different

I think the e70 had a very similar design actually
      01-25-2023, 07:00 PM   #30
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately no, it is similar but this design is specific for the original n63 in the E70 as the turbo design from that era is different from the S63TU in the F85. I would need to start from scratch for the F85 (3d scan engine compartment, design & run CFD simulations on new inlets, prototype & test fit, flow bench, tweak design as needed, new prototype, tweak again (its always the 3rd prototype that is the home run) then would be ready to produce in mass. Would take about 40-60 hours of R&D to get to that point.

Since mvrt is already underway on development, best let him drive and see what his shop can do for a solution.

mvrt, if your shop doesn't want to produce a solution, let me know and I will get the ball rolling on one.
Appreciate 2
mvrt49.50
      01-26-2023, 02:36 PM   #31
mvrt
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately no, it is similar but this design is specific for the original n63 in the E70 as the turbo design from that era is different from the S63TU in the F85. I would need to start from scratch for the F85 (3d scan engine compartment, design & run CFD simulations on new inlets, prototype & test fit, flow bench, tweak design as needed, new prototype, tweak again (its always the 3rd prototype that is the home run) then would be ready to produce in mass. Would take about 40-60 hours of R&D to get to that point.

Since mvrt is already underway on development, best let him drive and see what his shop can do for a solution.

mvrt, if your shop doesn't want to produce a solution, let me know and I will get the ball rolling on one.
Will for sure keep you in the loop!
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2023, 02:09 AM   #32
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Hey question, those orange rubber-ish gaskets, are you able to say how they are made/material?

Just been having the idea rolling around in the back of my mind of a doing these as a personal mess-around DIY but drawing a complete blank on how to make those.

No I'm not interested in doing these commercially, all yours.
Appreciate 1
mvrt49.50
      02-04-2023, 02:49 AM   #33
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Hey question, those orange rubber-ish gaskets, are you able to say how they are made/material?

Just been having the idea rolling around in the back of my mind of a doing these as a personal mess-around DIY but drawing a complete blank on how to make those.

No I'm not interested in doing these commercially, all yours.
Those are actually just the stock BMW seals made for the first gen n63/s63 engines. The S63-TU in the F85 turbo inlets use a O-ring style sealing system.

If you need to print something like that, I would print them out of a TPU filament with around a shore A 70-75 rating. You would need to test how they fare at high temps, the inlets will hit 220-240ish degrees during heat soak after shutdown on a hot summer day. I know TPU does just fine at around 200 but I have not personally tested it higher then that for long durations.
Appreciate 2
mvrt49.50
Chilled363.50
      02-08-2023, 11:32 AM   #34
mvrt
Private
United_States
Rep

Just wanted to update everyone, I’ll be able to drop the car off (if the body shop finishes on time) on February 20th for initial measurements and aluminum mock up.
Appreciate 7
9vapors650.00
mstgeer29.00
blown99196.00
Cbozz688.50
WZS_M13.00
      03-23-2023, 09:16 PM   #35
das1ck1
Rep
Drives: BMW 645

Interested
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 10:23 AM   #36
ture_7
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85

Im glad to see there are at least 2 of you guys that can do this since aftermarket doesnt feel the need for them.

Whats the update? im surely interested, especially if these come a good price thats not gonna break the bank.

Would you be making these all the way from turbo to air filter in front like the RK intakes? that'd be nice too. Options would be nice.
Appreciate 1
mvrt49.50
      03-24-2023, 01:07 PM   #37
mvrt
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ture_7 View Post

Im glad to see there are at least 2 of you guys that can do this since aftermarket doesnt feel the need for them.

Whats the update? im surely interested, especially if these come a good price thats not gonna break the bank.

Would you be making these all the way from turbo to air filter in front like the RK intakes? that'd be nice too. Options would be nice.
Great question!

We have a prototype built out and are zeroing in on a manufacturer with the best price and quality.

Once we build out the first unit I’ll do some testing on my car for QC, and if it’s good to go we will begin pre-orders.

As far as intakes, we have been discussing the option to build out the intake portion as well, similar to RK, but that will likely be in motion once we have the final product for the inlets.

We have a lot more parts in mind to add to the portfolio (including modular exhaust kits that won’t cost $6k+) , it all depends on the interest we generate in this community.

On a side note, I’m also going to be tapping into carbon fiber parts in this upcoming quarter and offer parts nobody else has done yet so stay tuned!
Appreciate 3
      03-24-2023, 07:36 PM   #38
das1ck1
Rep
Drives: BMW 645

Awesome
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 01:42 PM   #39
mvrt
Private
United_States
Rep

Hey y’all,

I know a few of you have reached out asking for updates. Long story short there have been some life events for everyone involved that sort of pushed the process back a bit. The current situation being that the design is finished, previous vendor changed their mind and had set an initial order requirement at 250 units; which, let’s be honest, is a number that is not feasible for such a niche platform. A search for a new vendor is underway and I’ll make sure to update you guys as soon as we lock it in!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 02:28 PM   #40
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Hey y’all,

I know a few of you have reached out asking for updates. Long story short there have been some life events for everyone involved that sort of pushed the process back a bit. The current situation being that the design is finished, previous vendor changed their mind and had set an initial order requirement at 250 units; which, let’s be honest, is a number that is not feasible for such a niche platform. A search for a new vendor is underway and I’ll make sure to update you guys as soon as we lock it in!
does this fit the 50i x5? if so maybe we have more folks interested? 50i owner here!
      05-27-2023, 03:36 PM   #41
mvrt
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
does this fit the 50i x5? if so maybe we have more folks interested? 50i owner here!
I can definitely look into it, from my understanding the engine bay configuration is almost identical but I’ve also seen different variations of aftermarket intakes. If anyone else can chime in with concrete info that would be ideal
Appreciate 1
shimmy232348.50
      08-20-2023, 01:55 AM   #42
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Sophisticated Redneck mvrt Guys, any chance you have progressed with the idea of creating metal intake pipe?

Mine (your driver side) has cracked off and am willing to be a guinea pig.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 12:33 PM   #43
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 50i

It looks like you could sand down the outside of the compressor housings to put a 2.75 x 3.00 inch silicon elbow, use a 3" carbon or aluminum 45 degree pipe, and a 3.00 x 3.25" silicon coupling, if you don't mind eliminating the PCV connection to the intake like Panda did. This is what I think I am going to do with my n63 to s63 turbo/manifold swap..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 06:48 PM   #44
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Yeah, buts that's a bit too much damage for my liking. You have to file out that support/ spacing that goes from the flange to the bolt.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0