BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-12-2023, 05:53 PM   #1
Northernx5m
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m

buying a used 2017 x5m

Hey guys, so I’m coming up from a 2002 320i, I’m just curious as to what common issues I should watch for, the x5m I’m buying is a 2017 f85 x5m with 55k kms on it, any kind of Information would be appreciated! Thanks in advance! 🤙🏼🚙💨
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 02:57 AM   #2
V i C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 205 C63S, AMG GT-R

Hey, so I bought the 2016 with the same amount of kilometers and I wondered the same thing. There’s really no problems with this vehicle. Just look at the service history and the usual stuff. There are two things that I’m aware of and look at the form there might be more. One is that the air suspension Might stop working well however it is a relatively inexpensive fix even if you decide to delegate it rather than do it yourself. If you do it yourself it seems like you do it pretty quickly. It’s pretty easy. Lots of YouTube videos. I’m going to say there’s no other issues. I know that there are other things that people of brought up like Ventilation valves for the crank case and there is an issue about some chain that could fail at some point. I’ve never really bought a used vehicle since I’ve had money, when I was poor, I bought a lot and they sucked ass because I didn’t have money to pay for a decent vehicle, this is my first vehicle that is used and it is an absolute blast to drive. It’s a fun vehicle. I’m not worried that anything wrong is going to happen. if it happens, then I’ll deal with it and I’ll keep the post updated. I think you’re picking a good solid car. These vehicles were meant to be driven hard, so we never have to worry about that kind of stuff but it’s the other things that you’re asking about. I get that so far nothing other than what I mention.

Tongue in cheek joke. watch out for the transmission shifters lol you will see what I’m talking about very quickly

Btw, BMW gave me extended warranty after the inspected my car and it wasn’t that bad what they were charging and I think you could probably explore that option because with the limited number of Km the only reason this car is out of warranty is because of the number of years and I think we can all agree that generally speaking number of kilometers usually is a indicator of wear more than number of years. We do understand that a car that has 1000 km that is 1000 years old is going to have its own problems but those are not the cars we are speaking of. So for me here in Toronto BMW give me bumper-to-bumper warranty they charged me $7000 for four years and 80,000 km. I took it. It’s the equivalent of the extended warranty they offer. MB does the same

Last edited by V i C; 02-13-2023 at 03:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2023, 07:46 PM   #3
Northernx5m
Canada
Rep

Has anyone come across many of these issues?

https://youtu.be/tdoSD_wfk5M
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 09:38 AM   #4
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

I think the biggest issue is rear air bags leaking, but they arn't that expensive.
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 03:02 PM   #5
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Make sure to keep up with the oil changes with the CORRECT oil at least twice a year at the bare minimum.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 03:42 PM   #6
V i C
Enlisted Member
Rep

musa

just to clarify: 0w30 bmw synthetic at 7000 km intervals or q6m, whichever comes first?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 07:55 AM   #7
Northernx5m
Canada
Rep

Okay so im pretty sure I’ve scared myself pretty good watching all these horror story YouTube videos on the s63 f85, kinda thinking I should back out of this deal because I don’t have an extra 15-30k laying around to fix a grenade engine if it goes
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 04:17 PM   #8
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernx5m View Post
Okay so im pretty sure I’ve scared myself pretty good watching all these horror story YouTube videos on the s63 f85, kinda thinking I should back out of this deal because I don’t have an extra 15-30k laying around to fix a grenade engine if it goes
If your after that BMW badge get yourself a F8*/G8* or the X5 35i.

The S63 does have the BMW unique issues, however there is only 1 real grenade issue on these. All the other issues can be summarised as #BMWlife. All BMW's have issues with Vanos, PCV, oil leaks, not new and doesn't matter with which engine you go with. They will follow.

(Look at the S/N55, and the crank hub spinning, or sucking in the belt through the front main seal.)

The only 1 real issue with the S/N63 engines is that the rod bearings made of cheese. Replace these with ACL/king, and your good. Some of these have gone 150+mil without issues and some have gone at 30mil. So change them, its better to be safe than sorry.

Don't go tuning it because you will run into the other real issue. The rod's. At tuned power levels, they start turning into breadsticks.

So don't go messing with it, keep the power stock, stay on-top of your oil changes, change the rod bearings at around 50-70mil, and have fun.

PS. If you do want to tune, even the most aggressive tune at 700awhp(will bend rod, sure not straight away. But it will happen) a stock F10 M5 will keep up with you and a F90 will walk you.

Last edited by Chilled; 02-20-2023 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 12:31 AM   #9
kangfu84
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
If your after that BMW badge get yourself a F8*/G8* or the X5 35i.

The S63 does have the BMW unique issues, however there is only 1 real grenade issue on these. All the other issues can be summarised as #BMWlife. All BMW's have issues with Vanos, PCV, oil leaks, not new and doesn't matter with which engine you go with. They will follow.

(Look at the S/N55, and the crank hub spinning, or sucking in the belt through the front main seal.)

The only 1 real issue with the S/N63 engines is that the rod bearings made of cheese. Replace these with ACL/king, and your good. Some of these have gone 150+mil without issues and some have gone at 30mil. So change them, its better to be safe than sorry.

Don't go tuning it because you will run into the other real issue. The rod's. At tuned power levels, they start turning into breadsticks.

So don't go messing with it, keep the power stock, stay on-top of your oil changes, change the rod bearings at around 50-70mil, and have fun.

PS. If you do want to tune, even the most aggressive tune at 700awhp(will bend rod, sure not straight away. But it will happen) a stock F10 M5 will keep up with you and a F90 will walk you.
I remmeber in one of my first posts here you mentioned you were planning on changing out your rod bearings, did you end up getting it done? I'm trying to figure out now how many hours it'll take my favourite local Indy to do them.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 06:09 AM   #10
Terrytibbs168
Registered
Rep

Just recently purchased a 2017 with 33k and these are my thoughts..

I got 5year mechanical and electrical warranty for some peace of mind,
BMW near me looks like they'll do the next three oil changes for $230 but need to confirm this. I'm sure they'll inspect car for any issues at each one.
Brakes are expensive on this but for good reason as it's too much fun not to put your foot down. Previous owner had these done already.
I'm trickle charging overnight as got a battery warning when really cold. Brought a good charger as heard this is possibly a monthly requirement.
Brought bimmerlink and Bimmerpost to tinker myself so have been sitting in the car for endless hours modifying.
Brought radar yesterday and it already saved me on the freeway once.
Pleased to find out new tires will cost $1600 and not the $3k others have written about as I didn't need run flats.

All in all, I was scared after buying the car after realizing what a beast it is but after reading up and a little self tuition, not longer concerned with warranty and these forums.
Only negatives are the possible speeding tickets which can be calmed with Waze and a radar and the fact it's 4am and I've woken up to read up more on my little beauty sitting in the garage.
Do it...I have zero regrets and these forums are great!
Appreciate 2
      02-21-2023, 10:50 AM   #11
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Congratulations on your purchase. I have a 2015 X5M, and the only issue thus far has been rear air bags, and A/C Blower Motor failure. So we have replaced the blower motor with voltage regulator and rear air bags. All other things has just been mods, like the following Carbon Fiber pieces; front splitter, mirror caps, rear diffuser, shift knob, center console, steering wheel trim, rear 4 piston calipers. Here are a few pics
Attached Images

02-21-2023, 11:06 AM   #12
V i C
Enlisted Member
Rep

Northernx5m

don't worry about fixing a grenade engine. if that happens you just leave the car outside with your blue bins on recycling day. the city will take it, often free of charge.

or, maybe consider getting extended warranty. empire auto will do it for about 4K canadian and they work with stealerships too.

the problem with youtube, and the internet in general, is that anyone can write anything. i once proved this to myself. i google random thoughts that were absurd, and there they were, loads of opinions on my stupid thoughts
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2023, 11:12 AM   #13
Northernx5m
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytibbs168 View Post
Just recently purchased a 2017 with 33k and these are my thoughts..

I got 5year mechanical and electrical warranty for some peace of mind,
BMW near me looks like they'll do the next three oil changes for $230 but need to confirm this. I'm sure they'll inspect car for any issues at each one.
Brakes are expensive on this but for good reason as it's too much fun not to put your foot down. Previous owner had these done already.
I'm trickle charging overnight as got a battery warning when really cold. Brought a good charger as heard this is possibly a monthly requirement.
Brought bimmerlink and Bimmerpost to tinker myself so have been sitting in the car for endless hours modifying.
Brought radar yesterday and it already saved me on the freeway once.
Pleased to find out new tires will cost $1600 and not the $3k others have written about as I didn't need run flats.

All in all, I was scared after buying the car after realizing what a beast it is but after reading up and a little self tuition, not longer concerned with warranty and these forums.
Only negatives are the possible speeding tickets which can be calmed with Waze and a radar and the fact it's 4am and I've woken up to read up more on my little beauty sitting in the garage.
Do it...I have zero regrets and these forums are great!
Yeah I went without warranty due to this dealership only wanting to warranty it for 5k kms lol, and no this isn’t a bmw dealership, but on the plus side they thought it was base spec so I am getting the executive package without them even knowing 😂
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 02:18 PM   #14
WZS_M
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 17' BSM X5M

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah I went without warranty due to this dealership only wanting to warranty it for 5k kms lol, and no this isn’t a bmw dealership, but on the plus side they thought it was base spec so I am getting the executive package without them even knowing 😂
how much did you pay, if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 02:51 PM   #15
Northernx5m
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WZS_M View Post
how much did you pay, if you don't mind me asking?
I paid 69,850 for it with 56k kms so about 37k miles
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 03:48 PM   #16
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangfu84 View Post
I remmeber in one of my first posts here you mentioned you were planning on changing out your rod bearings, did you end up getting it done? I'm trying to figure out now how many hours it'll take my favourite local Indy to do them.
Still in the thinking stage. I've just ticked 55Km and would like to do this around 70Km, but only managed to put on less than 3000km last year. Yes that is sad, and yes i have a calendar reminder to start it and move it forward/back in the the garage. Whilst been connected to the battery tender.

I did have a conversation with a BMW dealer about possibly doing the upper oil pan and they wanted $2,600 for just the labor and 2 days to do it. I would say the bearings add at least half a day to this. So realistically 2-3 days would be a good estimate.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 06:23 PM   #17
WZS_M
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 17' BSM X5M

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
I paid 69,850 for it with 56k kms so about 37k miles
and that's CAN, so about $52k USD?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 07:06 PM   #18
Northernx5m
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WZS_M View Post
and that's CAN, so about $52k USD?
Something like that, why?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 03:41 AM   #19
kangfu84
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Still in the thinking stage. I've just ticked 55Km and would like to do this around 70Km, but only managed to put on less than 3000km last year. Yes that is sad, and yes i have a calendar reminder to start it and move it forward/back in the the garage. Whilst been connected to the battery tender.

I did have a conversation with a BMW dealer about possibly doing the upper oil pan and they wanted $2,600 for just the labor and 2 days to do it. I would say the bearings add at least half a day to this. So realistically 2-3 days would be a good estimate.
Still debating as well if it's worth it cost wise. My 2015 is on 98k kms at the moment and has been mechanically great other than replacing the airbags/compressor. It's a fair cost to get it done purely from a preventative standpoint but then again you'd kick yourself if you ended up needing a new engine. Decisions decisions
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 10:05 AM   #20
V i C
Enlisted Member
Rep

Northernx5m is that with taxes or before taxes? just curious - comparing prices
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 10:12 AM   #21
Northernx5m
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V i C View Post
Northernx5m is that with taxes or before taxes? just curious - comparing prices
Before taxes, and it had pretty high apr but I’m not worried about it, literally my dream spec lol
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 05:03 PM   #22
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangfu84 View Post
Still debating as well if it's worth it cost wise. My 2015 is on 98k kms at the moment and has been mechanically great other than replacing the airbags/compressor. It's a fair cost to get it done purely from a preventative standpoint but then again you'd kick yourself if you ended up needing a new engine. Decisions decisions
I guess the question is how long to you plan on keeping it. With parts I doubt you will get much change from $5K.

But if you do grenade the engine, I haven't seen to many shops up here(Bris) that do these things regularly. You maybe be more lucky in Syd, but most I've found when pressed have only ever built 1 or so as a test. Not a regular thing.

Just FYI.
If you spin a bearing and need a new crank, thats $7k AUD, or a new long block is $59K
Appreciate 0