BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-24-2023, 12:47 AM   #1
V i C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 205 C63S, AMG GT-R

increased battery discharge

ok. i did do a search as i'm confident this has been discussed before but i could'nt find a thread.

getting this warning in the AM. car wont unlock with my hand on the handle; have to use the fob/remote. usually 0 to +4/6C in my garage at this time. the error shows when i get in. after 10-12h sitting in the garage.

bought the car used. i'm thinking weak battery.

thoughts?

seems i prob need a new battery. while i'm doing that, any value in adding a bigger battery? i like to camp a lot so maybe that would help in that regard? can i just add a bigger battery?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 01:15 AM   #2
suitedcboy
Cattlecar
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport

A likelihood is something is not going off as that message is supposed to mean that. If the batteries are aged then you can have the anomalies of BMWs with weak batteries actually causing some shutdown process to go awry and drain the weak battery (Ain't technology fun!!!). The main battery is size is maxed out for the mount space and is big already being an H8. The supplemental battery is a hard to find, extra expense for being odd smaller size H4. The mount for the supp battery has a metal pop out piece that allows H5 to be used and they are common and easy to find in AGM type needed. H5 use requires the power control unit (finned aluminum box) between batteries be moved over 13 mm. I needed new and have access to big discount on batteries but H4 was not offered so I got the larger H5 and it works fine and sets no errors. The supp battery is not so closely scrutinized and does not use IBS integral in terminals. The relocate is an easy DIY but requires drilling three 2.5mm holes and using three short sheet metal screws. You abandon the welded nut-6mm bolts and drill the new screw holes 12-13 mm left of originals. If you do it at dealer or a BMW indy shop then they will source H8 and H4. The supp battery is not for starter supply, it is to provide more power for some modules during engine start and many other times extra capacity can prevent low V issues. On F15/16 50i it has stop/start functions too (is there one left with this not coded off?).
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 09:25 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

VIC, did you buy the BimmerLink app along with the Bimmercode app? If you did, just plug in and open the Bimmerlink app and click on the 12v Battery tab. This will give you your batteries state of charge.

If it is consistantly below 75% (do a couple of readings 1st thing in the morning or before you drive to see if what the battery's health is prior to driving and getting a charge from the alternator)...then the battery is getting weak.

If you have a battery tender...you probably can squeeze more life out of the battery...but you may want to start over with a new battery if it is getting old.

As far as larger battery...you may already be as big as you can get if you have a 105AH 95R/H9 battery class size. If you have a 90/92/95 AH 49/H8 battery...then you can upsize to the 95R/H9.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-24-2023 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 11:20 AM   #4
Spirtatu
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Recently bought car too, battery becomes dead next morning and only way was to unlock with key and then i need to jump starter to turn off alarm
My issue was water pump, it’s electric and it was running after car was off until it discharge battery, you can try to listen neear hood after you lock car if there is some noise
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 08:25 PM   #5
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Fwiw, get in the habit of putting the car on a tender every time you drive it home. I pop my hood to let the engine cool and pop on the tender.
      03-23-2023, 01:40 AM   #6
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
VIC, did you buy the BimmerLink app along with the Bimmercode app? If you did, just plug in and open the Bimmerlink app and click on the 12v Battery tab. This will give you your batteries state of charge.

If it is consistantly below 75% (do a couple of readings 1st thing in the morning or before you drive to see if what the battery's health is prior to driving and getting a charge from the alternator)...then the battery is getting weak.

If you have a battery tender...you probably can squeeze more life out of the battery...but you may want to start over with a new battery if it is getting old.

As far as larger battery...you may already be as big as you can get if you have a 105AH 95R/H9 battery class size. If you have a 90/92/95 AH 49/H8 battery...then you can upsize to the 95R/H9.

Hey, for the original (2017-ish) 90AH battery what should it be charging and discharging too? Getting a "Battery Not Holding Charge" warning light on my Noco 10A.

I went out to my X a couple of weeks ago, and the noco had an error. Wasn't paying attention took it off, and went for a drive no issues. Put it back on the tender, and about a week-ish later checked and this time noticed it had the "Battery not holding charge" error.

As before took it off, went for a drive into the office, came back that arvo(6ish hours) and left the car without a charger. 5 days later, I checked the batter level via BimmerLink and it showed at 82/85%(cant remember exact). Put it on the NOCO, and in the morning the NOCO was maintenance mode(just the massive green light pulsing). No warning lights, and BimmerLink said the battery is at 92%

The NOCO is about 1.5yrs old and has had the X connected to it for most of that time. Just wondering if its dyeing or I'm going to be dealing with a battery soon.

Last edited by Chilled; 03-23-2023 at 01:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 03:14 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Hey, for the original (2017-ish) 90AH battery what should it be charging and discharging too? Getting a "Battery Not Holding Charge" warning light on my Noco 10A.

I went out to my X a couple of weeks ago, and the noco had an error. Wasn't paying attention took it off, and went for a drive no issues. Put it back on the tender, and about a week-ish later checked and this time noticed it had the "Battery not holding charge" error.

As before took it off, went for a drive into the office, came back that arvo(6ish hours) and left the car without a charger. 5 days later, I checked the batter level via BimmerLink and it showed at 82/85%(cant remember exact). Put it on the NOCO, and in the morning the NOCO was maintenance mode(just the massive green light pulsing). No warning lights, and BimmerLink said the battery is at 92%

The NOCO is about 1.5yrs old and has had the X connected to it for most of that time. Just wondering if its dyeing or I'm going to be dealing with a battery soon.
The chart below shows a comparison of state of charge vs percentage rate. If Bimmerlink starts showing your state of charge in the 30% - 40% level...then you are falling into a low discharge state. If it drops below that, you'll start getting sluggish or no start scenarios if certain conditions are tough (heat/cold/heavy draw on battery/etc).
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
Chilled363.50
      03-23-2023, 06:49 PM   #8
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

So 80%+ is good. I guess will keep an eye on it.

Have you heard anything on the Noco's failing this way tho?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 08:07 AM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
So 80%+ is good. I guess will keep an eye on it.

Have you heard anything on the Noco's failing this way tho?
I'm not familiar with the Noco...so I'm of no good use to you on that one.

Appreciate 0