BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-24-2023, 01:20 PM   #1
Wesley
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Fan after shutdown

Hi All,

Over the last week Ive heard always the engine fan after shutdown. First I thought it wasn’t normal, but then I figured at this forum that it was normal.

Now since today, I realised it is not going on after engine shutdown. As I have warrenty and going for some liquid changes next week, so far not worried. However, wondering if anybody has ideas?

I heard it when the outside air temperature was arouns 0 degrees celcius, now the outside air temperature is about 10 daily. Can this have something to do with it?

Add: its about 2018, X5M, S63.

Edit;

After some highway driving, it turned on when I parked it back. But as soon as I started it again, let it run Idle for 4 minutes and shut it down again, it didnt go on. I had the feeling that previously it also went on, even if It runner Idle for 2/3 minutes without driving, but maybe I am wrong.

Last edited by Wesley; 03-24-2023 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 03:07 PM   #2
zeroping
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M (F85)

What you are experiencing is normal. It wont always run following engine shutdown if temperatures are not high enough. Lots of details here https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&highlight=fan
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 09:11 AM   #3
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Understand the fans and pumps run to cool down the engine and the turbos. The turbos are cooled by engine oil and engine coolant that circulates thru them to cool down the input shaft that connects the inlet and exhaust turbine blades. Your vehicle has temp sensors and depending high hot will trigger the pumps and fans. A little jolt around the block, will not trigger the fans to kick on. As the outside temps rise, you will encounter this more, than in the cold.