BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-24-2024, 06:44 PM   #1
jeffNC
Rep
Drives: 2018 F86 X6M

What is this part? Hose is leaking from it?

Good evening forum!

I have a 2018 x6m with the s63 engine in it.

Vehicle has 45,000 miles on it I got it when it had 32,000 on it

The other day after a couple hour drive I brought it back to work and parked it in the warehouse as I was not driving at home that evening. Came back next afternoon and there was a fairly large puddle of fluid under the car. It's kind of a clear fluid first I thought it might be coolant . But I don't think it is and I don't think it's engine oil.. it feels a little slippery

I checked my coolant on the engine and it's between the man and Max the coolant level on the turbo is it max. Engine oil also reads okay on the screen inside the vehicle

I jacked the car up this evening and took off the black plastic/felt cover. I found this cylinder looking part that was very dirty and wet so not sure if it's leaking from the hoses that go to that.

Does anyone know what this part is and what fluid flows through it?

This part is at the bottom behind the radiator but in front of the stiffener plate

Thanks for all your help

Jeff
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 09:51 PM   #2
zeroping
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M (F85)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffNC View Post
Good evening forum!

I have a 2018 x6m with the s63 engine in it.

Vehicle has 45,000 miles on it I got it when it had 32,000 on it

The other day after a couple hour drive I brought it back to work and parked it in the warehouse as I was not driving at home that evening. Came back next afternoon and there was a fairly large puddle of fluid under the car. It's kind of a clear fluid first I thought it might be coolant . But I don't think it is and I don't think it's engine oil.. it feels a little slippery

I checked my coolant on the engine and it's between the man and Max the coolant level on the turbo is it max. Engine oil also reads okay on the screen inside the vehicle

I jacked the car up this evening and took off the black plastic/felt cover. I found this cylinder looking part that was very dirty and wet so not sure if it's leaking from the hoses that go to that.

Does anyone know what this part is and what fluid flows through it?

This part is at the bottom behind the radiator but in front of the stiffener plate

Thanks for all your help

Jeff
It appears the hydraulic lines for the active sway bars (dynamic drive; ///M standard option) are leaking. I believe there are internal seals that can leak also. Unsure if repairable. These are known to fail and are quite expensive. BMW part number 37116856418. I do not believe there are aftermarket alternatives but used are around.

With that much fluid loss, check the level in the black canister on the driver side of vehicle. The dynamic drive system shares its reservoir with the steering rack with both both systems working from the same belt driven pump. Certainly don't want to take the pump out too or run the rack dry. CHF-11S is the fluid in that system.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 06:24 AM   #3
jeffNC
Rep

Hi zeroping thanks so much for the reply!!

Can you take a look at this picture and let me know which canister you're talking about?

There are two canisters on the driver side. I thought the larger of these two was engine coolant. There is also a smaller canister.

Thanks again for your help.

It does look like one of these lines has a hex on the end of it where you could get a wrench on it and possibly tighten it up.

Can you help me identify these two reservoirs and let me know what they are. Owners manual doesn't really help.

Which canister do you mean that takes the fluid for the active swaybar system that takes the CHF-11S fluid? I definitely don't wan't to let it run dry!

Thanks again!

Jeff
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 07:58 AM   #4
jeffNC
Rep

Good morning forum!

So I have been researching the dynamic stabilizer bar (active sway bar) system on these vehicles. Some notes, comments appreciated:

The two reservoirs in my pic above,

The larger one with the yellow airs is the engine coolant reservoir?

The smaller one with CHF11 on it is the power steering reservoir which also holds the fluid for the active say bar that seems to be leaking on this vehicle?

My coolant reservoir is just on the low part of the gauge inside the reservoir. Weird that my coolant almost looks clear not blue or green. I have 3 gallons of the BMW blue concentrate coming. Maybe I need to flush the system, have to read up on how to do that.

The power steering reservoir is full on the gauge inside the reservoir. I guess my leak isn't bad enough to lower the level yet. I have some CHF11 power steering fluid coming in case the level drops.

On the active sway bar itself I guess I will clean it up and drive the car and see if I can determine if the leak is from the lines going in to the motor in the middle of the sway bar or the from the motor itself. If you buy the whole sway bar with motor it is $2000!!!!!

Any thoughts on above notes appreciated!

Thanks!

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:03 AM   #5
zeroping
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hi zeroping thanks so much for the reply!!

Can you take a look at this picture and let me know which canister you're talking about?

There are two canisters on the driver side. I thought the larger of these two was engine coolant. There is also a smaller canister.

Thanks again for your help.

It does look like one of these lines has a hex on the end of it where you could get a wrench on it and possibly tighten it up.

Can you help me identify these two reservoirs and let me know what they are. Owners manual doesn't really help.

Which canister do you mean that takes the fluid for the active swaybar system that takes the CHF-11S fluid? I definitely don't wan't to let it run dry!

Thanks again!

Jeff
It's the one directly next to the intake filter housing, without yellow markings, it has CHS-11S written on the top.

You may be able to tighten but from what I've seen this might be a full replacement for you, unfortunately.

This type of system is uncommon in vehicles let alone BMWs. It's one of the many ways ours M's handle the way they do - it works to defy physics! Dynamic drive was standard on the F85/F86 chassis' and I believe the new X5/X6 M's also. It is also found as an option on other BMW SAVs, large sedans such as the 7 series, and also many Rolls Royce vehicles (which falls under the BMW umbrella).

If you are curious, here is a terrific explanation of the system:
https://eeuroparts.com/blog/demystif...l-bar-systems/

Certainly keep us in the loop!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 11:09 AM   #6
jeffNC
Rep

Thanks Zeroping!

I actually found that same awesome writeup while researching this morning. That is a great writeup with diagram (although the part #'s marked don't have a key that tells the name of what they are)

Can you confirm that the reservoir with the CHS-11S written on it that serves this active swaybar system is also the reservoir for the power steering fluid?

Also the other larger reservoir with the yellow arrows is the engine coolant reservoir? My fluid in there is on the low side. It almost looks clear not colored like maybe it is mostly distilled water? I have ordered 3 gals of BMW coolant concentrate (which will me 6 gallons diluted to 50/50). I might go ahead and change all the coolant but not sure if there is a special procedure on how to do this or if I can do myself.

Thanks again

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 03:31 PM   #7
zeroping
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Zeroping!

I actually found that same awesome writeup while researching this morning. That is a great writeup with diagram (although the part #'s marked don't have a key that tells the name of what they are)

Can you confirm that the reservoir with the CHS-11S written on it that serves this active swaybar system is also the reservoir for the power steering fluid?

Also the other larger reservoir with the yellow arrows is the engine coolant reservoir? My fluid in there is on the low side. It almost looks clear not colored like maybe it is mostly distilled water? I have ordered 3 gals of BMW coolant concentrate (which will me 6 gallons diluted to 50/50). I might go ahead and change all the coolant but not sure if there is a special procedure on how to do this or if I can do myself.

Thanks again

Thoughts?
Yes, the reservoir with CHS-11S written on it is for active swaybar and power steering fluid.

Yes, the larger reservoir is for engine coolant.

The reservoir on passenger side is intake charge fluid for the air to water dual intercoolers.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 09:21 AM   #8
jeffNC
Rep

Thanks Zeroping!

What fluid goes in the intercooler reservoir on the passenger side that you mentioned? Is it the same engine coolant that is in the reservoir on the drivers side? BMW antifreeze/coolant?

I want to flush my engine coolant as I don't know if it has ever been done. Have some on order of the blue BMW coolant. Is this easy to flush or is there some kind of BMW voodoo that is needed??? LOL

I am not convinced that my leak underneath is from the active swaybar as my power steering fluid reservoir is full. My engine coolant reservoir is right at low (light is not on) so I am wondering if this is engine coolant leaking from above down on to my swaybar.

I am going to check it out this weekend and pull the plastic engine cover off so I can see better from above.

This is the engine coolant/antifreeze I have on order.

Stay tuned!

Thanks!

Jeff
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2024, 09:22 AM   #9
jeffNC
Rep

Name:  BMW coolant.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  44.5 KB
Appreciate 0