Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunter2 View Post
so with ESys - just remove the 8S4 from the VO and code the rest?
If you want to enable VLD, yes. Follow the steps for VO coding in the first post of this thread. You will start by removing 8S4 from your FA and then you will VO code BDC_Body. There are links to YouTube videos in that same post that will walk you through the process.

I should also clarify what I said above about HBA: Technically, HBA is available on US spec cars, but it only turns the high beams on and off. It is not the same as Anti-Glare high beam (also referred to as AGHB, Anti-Dazzle high beam or AG/AD) that is found in most other parts of the world. However, if you have LED headlights and the right hardware, AGHB can be coded on US models.

Last edited by Rotzy; 10-25-2018 at 03:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #24
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunter2 View Post
so with ESys - just remove the 8S4 from the VO and code the rest?
If you want to enable VLD, yes. Follow the steps for VO coding in the first post of this thread. You will start by removing 8S4 from your FA and then you will VO code BDC_Body. There are links to YouTube videos in that same post that will walk you through the process.

I should also clarify what I said above about HBA: Technically, HBA is available on US spec cars, but it only turns the high beams on and off. It is not the same as Anti-Glare high beam (also referred to as AGHB, Anti-Dazzle high beam or ADHB) that is found in most other parts of the world. However, if you have LED headlights and the right hardware, AGHB can be coded on US models.
All you need is the LED headlights and Anti dazzle can be coded. No special hardware.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #25
RotaryPowered
Rep
Drives: F15 x50i M Sport

I coded VLD on my US X5 with Xenons using bimmercode and the spreadsheet below and it does work as described in the early post on page 1. The only caveat is that I still feel like my headlights are pointed too low on the freeway and do not illuminate far enough at higher speed. I can clearly see the change in the pattern (headlights moving) at 30mph, but havent noticed the highway speed setting.

Link to coding spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...8JY/edit#gid=0
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #26
eggyacid
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Still want to do Anti-Dazzle thru Bimmerapp...
is there a reason to do both VLD and Anti-Dazzle on LED?

Current Ride
- 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
- 2014 X5 xDrive35 M
- 2013 ML-350 (Gone)
- 2012 Audi Q7 TDI (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 09:44 PM   #27
rtlee
Rep
Drives: 540i

Hi guys - I have a 2019 540ix with executive package and looking to get VLD and AG/AD coded. I have some questions please, to make sure I will be happy with how things work after coding VLD and AG/AD:

1. Once AG/AD is coded in, they run automatically whenever the lights are on and you are above a certain speed? Will regular high beams also come on automatically?

2. Once VLD and AG/AD are coded, can these be toggled on and off. For instance let's say I want to temporarily disable VLD or AG/AD - can I turn these off? Or are they permanently on any time my headlights are on, and the only option would be to re-code them if I wanted to turn them off?

3. I don't have any special coding yet. Currently when I get in the car at night I have to manually enable the auto high beam. So I get high beams at both low and high speed (I think). With VLD and AG/AD coded, will I still need to turn on the auto high beam option each time as well? Or with these it is automatically enabled at each start of the car?

4. With VLD and AG/AD both enabled, does this mean that the highbeams will always be off below certain speeds (due to VLD)?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 09:46 PM   #28
rtlee
Rep
Drives: 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
Unfortunately US LED headlights do not have all the bells and whistles to make it work exactly like EU version...
In what ways will the EU version's VLD and AG/AD work differently than a coded US car for those options?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 10:01 PM   #29
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtlee View Post
In what ways will the EU version's VLD and AG/AD work differently than a coded US car for those options?
This stuff is missing in the US headlights:

Quote:
Each of the headlights has two stepper motors. One for the headlight beam throw adjustment, and the second stepper motor is responsible for the function of the curve light and also the function of the non-glare headlight assistant. Each headlight can hereby be swivelled up to a maximum of 15° separately. This results in an adjustment of the headlight, which provides a non-glare range from 5° - 7° in the event of oncoming traffic or traffic ahead.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...stant/Ie9ZQN09
      10-25-2018, 03:46 AM   #30
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyacid View Post
Yes. VLD is for low beams while "Anti-Dazzle" is for automatic high beams. If your going to do the coding, you might as well code both.
      10-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #31
eggyacid
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Quote:
Yes. VLD is for low beams while "Anti-Dazzle" is for automatic high beams. If your going to do the coding, you might as well code both.
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you, I'm going to do it next week

I see that expert mode is required to do VLD and Anti-Dazzle... any new updates? Rather not get into expert mode Incase I mess anything up

Current Ride
- 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
- 2014 X5 xDrive35 M
- 2013 ML-350 (Gone)
- 2012 Audi Q7 TDI (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 08:18 AM   #32
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I wouldn't do VLD. It just makes you look like you have a burned out headlight and you really don't notice the difference. Notice in the pic how the inner half of the outboard lens is off.

But Anti dazzle is definitely worth it. Use it all the time and it all works just fine on my US headlights. But for the LEDs they don't need to swivel for anti dazzle as they just selectively turn off the LEDs as the oncoming vehicle comes into view of the onboard camera.

Again tons of threads covering this and YouTube videos
Attached Images

'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 08:33 AM   #33
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
I wouldn't do VLD. It just makes you look like you have a burned out headlight and you really don't notice the difference. But Anti dazzle is definitely worth it. Use it all the time and it all works just fine on my US headlights. But for the LEDs they don't need to swivel for anti dazzle as they just selectively turn off the LEDs as the oncoming vehicle comes into view of the onboard camera.

Again tons of threads covering this and YouTube videos
I actually like it. Although it does look like i have a little midget sitting on the grill with a flashlight. ))))
      10-26-2018, 09:00 AM   #34
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
But Anti dazzle is definitely worth it. Use it all the time and it all works just fine on my US headlights. But for the LEDs they don't need to swivel for anti dazzle as they just selectively turn off the LEDs as the oncoming vehicle comes into view of the onboard camera.
You just do not have the experience with the EU LED headlights. They swivel and it makes a lot of difference. Though we do not have much choice here anyway...
      10-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #35
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
You just do not have the experience with the EU LED headlights. They swivel and it makes a lot of difference. Though we do not have much choice here anyway...
Ya but mine swivel as well sooooo ya don't know what to tell ya. I mean obviously sitting a US and an EU next to each other you could probably see there's a difference but at the end of the day it works nonetheless for anti glare. Plus BMW video on anti glare doesn't mention swiveling
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
artem123249.50
      10-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #36
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I wouldn't do VLD. It just makes you look like you have a burned out headlight and you really don't notice the difference.
I happen to like VLD and notice a difference with it in both my X5 (Xenon) and M4 (LED). The beam pattern is definitely wider at low speeds and moves around quite a bit. It's also great in fog when you have the fog lights on. I also wonder if the "burned out headlight" look is only when you are at low speeds and the additional light comes back on above 30MPH when the beam moves back towards center.

Quote:
Quote:
Ya but mine swivel as well sooooo ya don't know what to tell ya. I mean obviously sitting a US and an EU next to each other you could probably see there's a difference but at the end of the day it works nonetheless for anti glare. Plus BMW video on anti glare doesn't mention swiveling.

I agree that Anti-Dazzle is worth it and a lot of fun to watch in action. I think we're splitting hairs when debating if the headlights "swivel" or "turn on/off LEDs" to make the light pattern move. At the end of the day, both VLD and Anti-Dazzle move the beam around quite a bit and work well!

We also know that all BMW adaptive headlights swivel/move. The difference is that without VLD, the low beam remains at a fixed height (as adjusted for the suspension loading/vehicle pitch) and only moves laterally with the steering wheel. With VLD, the headlights adjust beam width and height (based on the four different modes of operation listed above) in addition to moving with the steering wheel.

Quote:

I see that expert mode is required to do VLD and Anti-Dazzle... any new updates? Rather not get into expert mode in case I mess anything up
Why don't you try coding each and see what you like. You can always remove one or both if you don't like it. I've never used Bimmercode, only esys. But, I don't believe expert mode is anything to be worried about. Just take your time and change only the values that the sheet tells you to change and you'll be fine.
artem123249.50
      10-26-2018, 05:28 PM   #37
mpowered5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E34 M5

Don't think we can code AD/AG through BimmerCode yet. Expert or not.
1988 M5
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #38
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I wouldn't do VLD. It just makes you look like you have a burned out headlight and you really don't notice the difference.
I happen to like VLD and notice a difference with it in both my X5 (Xenon) and M4 (LED). The beam pattern is definitely wider at low speeds and moves around quite a bit. It's also great in fog when you have the fog lights on. I also wonder if the "burned out headlight" look is only when you are at low speeds and the additional light comes back on above 30MPH when the beam moves back towards center.

Quote:
Quote:
Ya but mine swivel as well sooooo ya don't know what to tell ya. I mean obviously sitting a US and an EU next to each other you could probably see there's a difference but at the end of the day it works nonetheless for anti glare. Plus BMW video on anti glare doesn't mention swiveling.

I agree that Anti-Dazzle is worth it and a lot of fun to watch in action. I think we're splitting hairs when debating if the headlights "swivel" or "turn on/off LEDs" to make the light pattern move. At the end of the day, both VLD and Anti-Dazzle move the beam around quite a bit and work well!

We also know that all BMW adaptive headlights swivel/move. The difference is that without VLD, the low beam remains at a fixed height (as adjusted for the suspension loading/vehicle pitch) and only moves laterally with the steering wheel. With VLD, the headlights adjust beam width and height (based on the four different modes of operation listed above) in addition to moving with the steering wheel.

Quote:

I see that expert mode is required to do VLD and Anti-Dazzle... any new updates? Rather not get into expert mode in case I mess anything up
Why don't you try coding each and see what you like. You can always remove one or both if you don't like it. I've never used Bimmercode, only esys. But, I don't believe expert mode is anything to be worried about. Just take your time and change only the values that the sheet tells you to change and you'll be fine.
Ya all the LEDs come back on once above 30. I just hate pulling into parking spots and seeing my reflection and knowing how anal I am about people driving down the road with burnt out head lights drive me nuts. Almost as much as them also driving with their brights on so they don't get pulled over as if that's even legal or no a dick move to everyone else around you. Haha
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0