BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-05-2021, 12:03 AM   #1
Bmwdrocher
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M SPORT

X5 F15 35i exhaust flap open.Need some help

Hi everyone,I have a X5 F15 35i,stage 2,catless downpipe,just installed a new SuperSprint exhaust.Sounds good but...when I accelerating it makes some drone which really annoying.I was really confused and I was thinking about it whole day or two,and I noticed that this exhaust has 2 mufflers,right and left.Passenger side muffler doesn't seems to be working.I mean the exhaust flap is always closed,and permanently just one muffler are working,that's why it makes that noise.So,I decided to open the flap.
Started my car in Sport+,than rev it to 5k rpm,and at this moment i pulled out 2 fuses 146 and 147,and nothing.It still stays closed.I tried everything,tried to unplug it,tried disconnect the fuse,started with sport+ when it's cold,when it's warm,i was driving aggressive, everything,and still nothing.Just wants to know if anyone has done this flap opened?Or someone can tell me how to open it's manually?I can't figure out how to pull out that spring/wire which connects flap with actuator.Please who knows help me.Thanks so much.

Last edited by Bmwdrocher; 01-05-2021 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 01:23 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

After exhaust mods, are you sure you have the flap and the actuator still connected?
It should open as engine warms up.
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1658917
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 05:36 PM   #3
Bmwdrocher
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
After exhaust mods, are you sure you have the flap and the actuator still connected?
It should open as engine warms up.
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1658917
Pretty sure,it's all connected,and when I am driving rear tip gers warm,but I can notfind that moment when it's open.That's why I am asking someone to help me open it manually
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 09:03 PM   #4
Stamps
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85

Search for the golf tee mod. It's straight forward. Two bolts to pull out the spring and some copper wire to prevent the flap from rattling. Assuming the sprinter exhaust uses the same stock actuator for the flap.

On another note, I'm not sure if it will eliminate your drone or make it worse. The flap side of the stock exhaust is significantly less noise reduction. I have done this mod (35i m-sport) and notice slight drone on the highway and am considering the RF unit ($200) so I can close it on road trips. I do not have a DP or aftermarket exhaust so do with this what you may.
Good luck! Hope you get it sounding to your liking!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 09:15 PM   #5
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamps View Post
Search for the golf tee mod. It's straight forward. Two bolts to pull out the spring and some copper wire to prevent the flap from rattling. Assuming the sprinter exhaust uses the same stock actuator for the flap.

On another note, I'm not sure if it will eliminate your drone or make it worse. The flap side of the stock exhaust is significantly less noise reduction. I have done this mod (35i m-sport) and notice slight drone on the highway and am considering the RF unit ($200) so I can close it on road trips. I do not have a DP or aftermarket exhaust so do with this what you may.
Good luck! Hope you get it sounding to your liking!

If you want to save some money get an Bluetooth ODB dongle and Carly/Bimmerlink and you can set it to Open / Close / Auto.

OP, have you done this? That way you can set it to open the pull the fuse and be good to go.

And yes, +1, the back pressure does help in regards to torque and noise so YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 07:48 AM   #6
Bmwdrocher
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty339 View Post
If you want to save some money get an Bluetooth ODB dongle and Carly/Bimmerlink and you can set it to Open / Close / Auto.

OP, have you done this? That way you can set it to open the pull the fuse and be good to go.

And yes, +1, the back pressure does help in regards to torque and noise so YMMV.
My car has stage 2 tune,someone told me that all settings are coded by that company who tuned.Not sure if that true,but don't want buy it if it doesn't work.Manually open will work for sure
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 10:28 AM   #7
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwdrocher View Post
My car has stage 2 tune,someone told me that all settings are coded by that company who tuned.Not sure if that true,but don't want buy it if it doesn't work.Manually open will work for sure
Post #7 in the thread I mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 05:19 PM   #8
Bmwdrocher
United_States
Rep

I opened the flap but between 1 and 2k rpm it's still making a lot of drone.What's next.I think it's because I have downpipe installed.Put the resonator?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 09:20 PM   #9
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

This kind of stuff is more of a personal preference but resonator is an option, you can also look into different muffler.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 09:36 PM   #10
Bmwdrocher
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This kind of stuff is more of a personal preference but resonator is an option, you can also look into different muffler.
I am not happy with it at all.I spent about $1200 for it.Since it was welded I can not return it.Need an option
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 10:45 PM   #11
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Try to find a good local shop who specializes in exhausts and discuss your options.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 11:45 PM   #12
Bmwdrocher
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Try to find a good local shop who specializes in exhausts and discuss your options.
Still trying.Can't find anyone
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 08:36 AM   #13
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamps View Post
My ears perked up when you mentioned "rattle". Is this where my exhaust rattle is coming from just upon a cold start? Only hear it when first accelerating after pulling out of the garage. Only occurs for about 5 seconds but drives me crazy! X-line w/ OEM exhaust currently.
Appreciate 0