E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Camera detector

03-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Camera detector

After some advice with regards to a camera detector.
I know there are few apps for these but I want a dedicated device like snooper or road angel or any other which does the job.
I don't speed much but would like to know the speed limit of the road I'm travelling on and a presence of ANY camera including the new smart motorway cameras/mobile cameras location so pretty much everything.

Please guide me.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
Pacman83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92

Here's a decent guide - LINK

Remember that most 'premium' camera databases have an additional cost attached to them. There are some that are 'free', but take that whichever way you like. I've had loads in the past. Really depends what you want on your dash/window. It's there most of the time and you have to get it out and attach it every time you get in and out of the car. There are some small ones (Inforad K2) that are very unobtrusive and you can install them behind your sunblind for example. It's worth hardwiring them in too. Having the cable dangling all over the place is a real pain in the ass.
I don't have one now. Just set the cruise to 70 on the motorway and 30/40/60 wherever else. If I occasionally go over the limit and get caught (not in 12 years) then I'll take the rap.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman83 View Post
Here's a decent guide - LINK

Remember that most 'premium' camera databases have an additional cost attached to them. There are some that are 'free', but take that whichever way you like. I've had loads in the past. Really depends what you want on your dash/window. It's there most of the time and you have to get it out and attach it every time you get in and out of the car. There are some small ones (Inforad K2) that are very unobtrusive and you can install them behind your sunblind for example. It's worth hardwiring them in too. Having the cable dangling all over the place is a real pain in the ass.
I don't have one now. Just set the cruise to 70 on the motorway and 30/40/60 wherever else. If I occasionally go over the limit and get caught (not in 12 years) then I'll take the rap.
Thanks for the link but its little confusing to a novice like me.
Not too bothered about the Laser detector, just the location of all the cameras and the speed limit of the road I'm travelling on. Wont be using it on daily basis either just whenever travelling somewhere unknown so size of the device doesn't really matter but would prefer something not to big. any pointers ?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

I had to drive to heathrow on Sat. It's amazing how many gantry gatso are down that way on the M1 and M25. I used my beltronics 995 detector (one I got from the US 10 years ago) and it showed many cameras active, many not. People were still dashing through at 80 and 90 with none going off. Funnily this time the gatsos seemed to detect much more easily. In the past I was sure they were shielded but I've been getting a good few seconds of warning.

I followed a few drivers at similar speeds seeing that if it didn't go off for them then it didn't for me.

There was a part with the limit dropped down to 60 and people still went through unmolested at 80. It's a mystery to me?

Interesting on the variable speed cams. I was wondering how on earth they can read a plate at night. I see now they have a massive flood lit strip across all 3 lanes on certain cameras. Not all must operate at night.

I was most impressed by getting 34.4mpgs from the whole round trip of almost 300 miles. I wanted to sit at 70 but I just couldn't do it!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #5
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwysard View Post
Thanks for the link but its little confusing to a novice like me.
Not too bothered about the Laser detector, just the location of all the cameras and the speed limit of the road I'm travelling on. Wont be using it on daily basis either just whenever travelling somewhere unknown so size of the device doesn't really matter but would prefer something not to big. any pointers ?
Then choose this one. Simple to use, simple to set up simple to read. It has a laser detctor on it, but this is about as much use as an ashtray on a Motorbike, so ignore it!

I have used this for 2 years now and it's predecessor the POGO. Really good up-to-date database, they do charge, but you pay for what you get. If you want a freebie DB, that is out of date and missing the speed camera that gets you, then you have saved NOTHING!

Linky thing here...Linky thing
      03-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
Nickos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 325d

I've got a pogo alert which I can't fault. small, easy to position. #winner
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickos View Post
I've got a pogo alert which I can't fault. small, easy to position. #winner
Agreed, great little detectors, but you can't buy them anymore (Maybe on eBay), but since road Angel took over the POGO company, they have put that technology into their Gem Angel
      03-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #8
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

I find the detector most useful on new routes. You know where to be careful on your local routes but at night in the dark on a new road you are always on edge as to where there might be a speed trap.
The GPS are great. No reliance on detection and with things like inductive loops in the road you need a location anyway.
The detectors are great for any radar based speed traps as a backup. I could do without the detector but not without the gps alerting.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #9
Rich_D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport LCI

I've had various ones over the years, some good, some not so good, but I've had a Road Angel Professional for quite a while now, highly recommended, battery lasts all week too, charge it at weekend & update at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 03:11 PM   #10
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I know the laser based speed detector are useless but whats with the radar based ? how do they work ?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #11
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911.2 S4

Garage List
If you have a smart phone could install a 'Speed Camera Database' solution such as CamerAlert http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/
Appreciate 0