Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > E90's Staggered Wheels - Hype?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-28-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
ShoeDog
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

E90's Staggered Wheels - Hype?

BMW markets the E90's staggered tire sizing (225 front vs. 255 rear width for 330 ZHP) as a performance advantage. However, when I researched the topic of staggered tire sizing on this board I found that many track enthusiasts prefer the same size tires at all four corners in order to reduce understeer and allow for tire rotation.

With respect to the E90, has anyone eliminated the stagger when switching to aftermarket wheels? What was the effect on handling?

Background: I'm considering replacing the beautiful but bulky 162's with lighter wheels that are not staggered (OZ Ultraleggera's, 18x8). Without stagger, I'd be able to rotate tires and avoid the considerable cost premium of replacing the wider rear tires.

I trust that BMW saw some advantage to the E90's staggered setup - other than aesthetics and reduced liability for oversteer accidents by inexperienced drivers. Would anyone like to mount a defense for the E90's staggered tire setup? Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
db17k
Chicketeh china the chinese chicken, you have?
Rep
Drives: 335ci hold out

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeDog
BMW markets the E90's staggered tire sizing (225 front vs. 255 rear width for 330 ZHP) as a performance advantage. However, when I researched the topic of staggered tire sizing on this board I found that many track enthusiasts prefer the same size tires at all four corners in order to reduce understeer and allow for tire rotation.

With respect to the E90, has anyone eliminated the stagger when switching to aftermarket wheels? What was the effect on handling?

Background: I'm considering replacing the beautiful but bulky 162's with lighter wheels that are not staggered (OZ Ultraleggera's, 18x8). Without stagger, I'd be able to rotate tires and avoid the considerable cost premium of replacing the wider rear tires.

I trust that BMW saw some advantage to the E90's staggered setup - other than aesthetics and reduced liability for oversteer accidents by inexperienced drivers. Would anyone like to mount a defense for the E90's staggered tire setup? Cheers.

You may be correct! but it won't look half as sexy as staggered wheels!

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 03:39 PM   #3
Matt_UKTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

If you use spacers, I don't think staggering makes much of a difference at all. It's an extra inch that is under the fender. Unless you spend hours looking at the back of your car, I bet you will bearly notice

As for performance, the stock 330 has 17x8 all the way around, but the sport package is staggered. When I drove both of them I didn't really notice much of a difference, and they have different suspension, wheel size, etc. So, I doubt you'll notice much by losing an inch off your back tires.

Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0