E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E92 Pre LCI Rear Lights Mod?

11-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #1
HollowmanVIII
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series E92

E92 Pre LCI Rear Lights Mod?

Hi Guys

I have a silver 2009 E92 325i and I'm in two minds about which mod to do next.

I don't want to go overboard but I've added the black gloss kidney grills so far and my next mod really is a tossup between the LCI rear lights or the performance exhaust. Getting both right now is just going to be too expensive, so I have a couple of questions about the lights and exhaust -

Firstly regarding my current pre lci rear lights, I've seen a few guys on the M3 board who have vinyl wrapped around the clear indicator section to give an all red (similar to LCI look), has anyone on here done that and were happy with results, I am a little concerned about making the car look tacky by doing it.

Secondly regarding the performance exhaust, where is the cheapest place to get on as my local BMW dealer quoted me £830 fitted, which I thought was a little steep, correct me if I'm wrong?

Cheers

Lee
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #2
Raymonndo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I still don't think it'll look right as the LCI lights have LED's etc. Depends what you want though .

Also just do the "PE mod" rather than buying the PE exhaust, save yourself a fortune! Let me know if you want some videos .
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #3
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I'd definitely go with the OE LCI lights over the vinyl wrapping effect. They make such a difference to the rear.

And agreed definitely consider the PE mod unless you really want the whole look too. Then keep an eye out for a used one or different system/back box.
      11-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #4
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I disagree with both posts above, I tinted the white part red and they look great, to the average person they won't be able to tell the difference. I do think the led's on the new lci tails look good but this mod you can't go wrong with.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 04:37 PM   #5
HollowmanVIII
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
I disagree with both posts above, I tinted the white part red and they look great, to the average person they won't be able to tell the difference. I do think the led's on the new lci tails look good but this mod you can't go wrong with.
That's a neat job you've done there, was it sprayed or wrapped? I know there's a site what sells the actual indicator size cutout wrap. It definitely improves the look of the pre lci rears.

I do actual like the 3 mini led bars on the pre lci's, it's just the all red look and the led brake/indicator lights that appeal on the lci ones, however this is definitely a great cost effective alternative.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 05:07 PM   #6
codinge90
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowmanVIII
Quote:
That's a neat job you've done there, was it sprayed or wrapped? I know there's a site what sells the actual indicator size cutout wrap. It definitely improves the look of the pre lci rears.

I do actual like the 3 mini led bars on the pre lci's, it's just the all red look and the led brake/indicator lights that appeal on the lci ones, however this is definitely a great cost effective alternative.
It was wrapped. I ordered some red tint on Amazon and just traced the film for the desired white area. I used an blade to trim the edges very carefully and keep in mind if not done lightly it will leave scratch marks. I think you should give it a try! I plan on upgrading to LCI tails in the future but don't wanna spend all the money right now when I can put it towards exhaust/bumpers at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 01:25 AM   #7
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Looks pretty good. Great cost effective option in the interim me thinks.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 02:02 AM   #8
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
I never said it wouldn't look good BUT just not as good as proper LCI lights as the led indicators and the updated tubes personally look nicer.

That is a good job you've done for sure.
      11-20-2015, 02:44 AM   #9
Dsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Lci

I've also tinted my rears with red tint spray looks a lot better

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 06:24 AM   #10
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

What car you got now Darren?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 08:18 AM   #11
HollowmanVIII
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsport View Post
I've also tinted my rears with red tint spray looks a lot better

Looks smart, definitely freshens up the rear end without going the whole hog and forking out for LCI's.

How many coats did you give it? I'm just a bit weary about messing up by spraying it rather than using the wrap
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #12
Joshbm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw E93 330i M Sport

I often considered tinting the bottom red, then I got a steal and haven't looked back. LCI looks sooo much better imo. with the LED's and the side light lines.
      11-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #13
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Something to be aware of is tinting/wrapping the tail lights might make your reverse lights look red too. A big issue come MOT time.

Has anyone got pics with the reverse lights on?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #14
Dsport
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
Hey Rich I've bought a 320d how's yours coming along if you have a boot spoiler pm me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowmanVIII View Post
Looks smart, definitely freshens up the rear end without going the whole hog and forking out for LCI's.

How many coats did you give it? I'm just a bit weary about messing up by spraying it rather than using the wrap
I agree it freshens it up a tad I gave them 3 coats
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #15
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsport
Quote:
Hey Rich I've bought a 320d how's yours coming along if you have a boot spoiler pm me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowmanVIII View Post

I agree it freshens it up a tad I gave them 3 coats
Not spoilers I'm afraid. You not got the m3 lip I gave you? Mines not changed that much since you lowered it.

You keeping this one for a bit? Ordered that seat die yet haha
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #16
Dsport
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not spoilers I'm afraid. You not got the m3 lip I gave you? Mines not changed that much since you lowered it.

You keeping this one for a bit? Ordered that seat die yet haha
Lol I've lowers a few more 92s since yours, if I can remember someone said you had put them on to me, I'm not doing anything to this really
I'm wanting an e91
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #17
HollowmanVIII
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It was wrapped. I ordered some red tint on Amazon and just traced the film for the desired white area. I used an blade to trim the edges very carefully and keep in mind if not done lightly it will leave scratch marks. I think you should give it a try! I plan on upgrading to LCI tails in the future but don't wanna spend all the money right now when I can put it towards exhaust/bumpers at the moment.
Does the wrap blend in pretty well when looking at it and is there any colour fade over time?

There is a site that sells the indicator size already cut out to wrap over so I am tempted to get those. The spraying route looks pretty good but not as easier to undo should I wish to sell or de-mod in the future.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #18
codinge90
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Does the wrap blend in pretty well when looking at it and is there any colour fade over time?

There is a site that sells the indicator size already cut out to wrap over so I am tempted to get those. The spraying route looks pretty good but not as easier to undo should I wish to sell or de-mod in the future.
I'll take some close up pics for you later on today to show you. It does blend well but if you're looking at it pretty closely, you'll the the vinyl strip. But to keep in mind, the white part at the bottom has a tiny little indent along the edges so it almost looks identical just red at the bottom. As for holding up, I've only had it on for a few days now and no problems at all. I suspect, if done correctly, it'll hold up for quite a while and even if it does start to wear out, red tint is very cheap and can be re applied
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #19
HollowmanVIII
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'll take some close up pics for you later on today to show you. It does blend well but if you're looking at it pretty closely, you'll the the vinyl strip. But to keep in mind, the white part at the bottom has a tiny little indent along the edges so it almost looks identical just red at the bottom. As for holding up, I've only had it on for a few days now and no problems at all. I suspect, if done correctly, it'll hold up for quite a while and even if it does start to wear out, red tint is very cheap and can be re applied
Yeah that would be great to see thanks. Yeah I appreciate if you're looking for the line you may see it, but to the average joe they won't notice I imagine. I think the main thing is it's a definite improvement having the indicator red over the stock look. I can save towards the PE exhaust instead for now and perhaps look at LCI tails next year.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #20
codinge90
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah that would be great to see thanks. Yeah I appreciate if you're looking for the line you may see it, but to the average joe they won't notice I imagine. I think the main thing is it's a definite improvement having the indicator red over the stock look. I can save towards the PE exhaust instead for now and perhaps look at LCI tails next year.
Yeah exactly. Don't get me wrong the lci tails look amazing and I'll definitely be upgrading in the future but the same with you, I'm on a budget and don't have endless money to spend on my car at the moment so I'd rather do bigger improvements like exhaust and bumpers rather than spend it on the tail lights when there's a little mod you can do to make it look similar. Curious, how much are you looking to spend on the Performance Exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 06:02 PM   #21
HollowmanVIII
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah exactly. Don't get me wrong the lci tails look amazing and I'll definitely be upgrading in the future but the same with you, I'm on a budget and don't have endless money to spend on my car at the moment so I'd rather do bigger improvements like exhaust and bumpers rather than spend it on the tail lights when there's a little mod you can do to make it look similar. Curious, how much are you looking to spend on the Performance Exhaust?
Yeah I'd love to do the few mods I want to do all at once but it's just not practical finacially. Well my local BMW dealer quoted me £830 to supply and fit the PE exhaust, however I have seen the exhaust and clamp new on ebay for £650, so fitting perhaps £60 on top at a local garage, I could save a bit of money.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 11:54 PM   #22
codinge90
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I'd love to do the few mods I want to do all at once but it's just not practical finacially. Well my local BMW dealer quoted me £830 to supply and fit the PE exhaust, however I have seen the exhaust and clamp new on ebay for £650, so fitting perhaps £60 on top at a local garage, I could save a bit of money.
Not bad man. I'm doing exhaust this upcoming week decided to go the muffler and resonator delete route, was thinking of doing the performance exhaust but i would have had to save up for a while, definitely sounds really good! Have you done any front bumper upgrades? I'm thinking of going m3 rep route
Appreciate 0