BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

01-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
yk1988
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6

can i push the power folding mirror in and out by hand?

I have 2016 f16 with power folding mirror, the mirror is folded in. Due to cold weather, ice has built up around the base of the mirror. I want to manually push the mirror back in slow motion to make sure no ice jamming inside.

will move it by hand damage the internal part?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 09:53 AM   #2
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

I would assist, by unfolding with the button and gently pushing, not more. Usually these mirrors can be pushed by hand, and will require one fold/unfold to set properly. The gears may be plastic, or if cable driven, the spool might be. I would not force it if completely stuck.

Warm water might help, provided you figure out a way to dry it. Hair dryer is also an option.
      01-20-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
BBDDVV
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G31 530e

They should be able to handle being pushed by hand without causing damage (taking a hit from an other car is why they initially designed the (not-automatically-) folding mirrors, right? :-) ).
I had opposite traffic clipping my driver side mirror last week causing it to be slammed in. It didn't fold out with the button (nor could I get the other mirror fold in with the button anymore (assuming they'd then fold out together again using the button)), had to open the window and push it out manually. Once it was folded out again, both mirrors again fold in/out with the button...

I was afraid to see what scratches/cracks the contact caused, to then found out there was no visible damage, at all. Maybe the fact it was raining helped, but I'am still relieved with the outcome... (especially as this happened on a narrow street with busy traffic in both directions making it impossible to go after the one that hit me...)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
yk1988
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6

after i manually fold them out to the spot where they sit normally, i press the button. the right side one folds out further more toward the front, I then manually push it inward until it snaps to the base. Everything back to normal.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

yk1988 , I believe it is by design to fold manually in case of minor accident or bump to a pole.
Based on my observant, the gear is metal. It could be cast aluminum or cast iron, didn't do further checking on them.
But of course, with care, it should give you a longer life. A method that MattBianco mentioned probably the best route if you have access to them.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0