F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Best led drl bulb
ARMA SPEED

01-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #1
asilverstone22
Rep
Drives: 2012 f30 328i

Best led drl bulb

Anyone have any luck with led drl bulbs for their 3 series ? What's the best one for the money
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
simsimma777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by asilverstone22 View Post
Anyone have any luck with led drl bulbs for their 3 series ? What's the best one for the money
Are you looking to replace the halogen DRLs? If so, I'm looking for the same.

I bought the IJDMTOY ones from Amazon (they were the only ones with the right size), but for some reason they didn't fit but I think it was just a faulty bulb. Haven't pursued it further.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

I've been running the IJDMTOY one since I bought my car back in '14 without any problems. I did have to code it to stop the flickering, but it never gave me an error.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 06:21 PM   #4
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

I am running "error-free" PW24W from eBay (~$20/pair). They flicker slightly at start, but I don't notice the warm checks (every 8-15 minutes), but might be wrong timing on my part. No error, minimal flickering (without coding). Been about 4/5 months now and the bulbs appear to be just as bright as day one and no burn outs yet (*knock on wood*).

@ballinisahabit Was the base area of your bulb "fatter" than the stock halogen DRLs? That was the issue with mine, I had to really jam it into the socket for it to "click". Once they did go in, they functioned without issue.

Just be wary that you actually "click" in the bulb, the last thing you want is the bulb to drop into the housing
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
simsimma777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleruckus View Post
I am running "error-free" PW24W from eBay (~$20/pair). They flicker slightly at start, but I don't notice the warm checks (every 8-15 minutes), but might be wrong timing on my part. No error, minimal flickering (without coding). Been about 4/5 months now and the bulbs appear to be just as bright as day one and no burn outs yet (*knock on wood*).

@ballinisahabit Was the base area of your bulb "fatter" than the stock halogen DRLs? That was the issue with mine, I had to really jam it into the socket for it to "click". Once they did go in, they functioned without issue.

Just be wary that you actually "click" in the bulb, the last thing you want is the bulb to drop into the housing
Sort of. I think the issue was the 'wings' on the base of the bulb which hold it in place after you turn it were either mis-aligned or too wide.

They offered me replacement/refund but I never went through with it. Will give it another shot based on your input. Thanks!

BTW, how are the high beams with this bulb?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #6
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinisahabit View Post
Sort of. I think the issue was the 'wings' on the base of the bulb which hold it in place after you turn it were either mis-aligned or too wide.

They offered me replacement/refund but I never went through with it. Will give it another shot based on your input. Thanks!

BTW, how are the high beams with this bulb?
IIRC, the high beams use a separate bulb, so they are unaffected by the LED swap -- I haven't noticed any difference, but I also don't really use high beams much. I can check a bit closer this weekend on if the high beams are affected.

I have attached image below of my car with the bulb (apologies for the crappy picture):

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
simsimma777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
IIRC, the high beams use a separate bulb, so they are unaffected by the LED swap -- I haven't noticed any difference, but I also don't really use high beams much. I can check a bit closer this weekend on if the high beams are affected.

I have attached image below of my car with the bulb (apologies for the crappy picture):

Hey thanks a lot for your reply. Just to follow-up, any updates on the high beam thing?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #8
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinisahabit View Post
Hey thanks a lot for your reply. Just to follow-up, any updates on the high beam thing?

Thanks in advance!
My bad on not following up on the high beams. I haven't had any issues with my high beams, they rely on a different bulb, so the LED DRL has no real impacts on high beam function. I did not notice any flashing or anything that would affect the function of high beam (at least from my testing). That being said, I did end up coding out the cold/hot checks, so the DRL LEDs do not flash anymore regardless of situation.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
simsimma777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My bad on not following up on the high beams. I haven't had any issues with my high beams, they rely on a different bulb, so the LED DRL has no real impacts on high beam function. I did not notice any flashing or anything that would affect the function of high beam (at least from my testing). That being said, I did end up coding out the cold/hot checks, so the DRL LEDs do not flash anymore regardless of situation.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
No worries. Really appreciate your feedback!!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 06:18 PM   #10
joec1101
BMW Fanaddict
Rep
Drives: '18 F87 ///M2

I assume you're talking about the angel eyes? I had a 2009 E93 that came with the yellow-ish colored angel eye bulbs. I swapped them out for Lux Angel Eyes and was pretty happy with them. Updated the look to the newer style white light. They're not cheap, but they are good quality and don't throw any error codes.
Appreciate 0