F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Aero pieces: Painted, CF, or leave matte?
ARMA SPEED

03-08-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
skw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Aero pieces: Painted, CF, or leave matte?

Torn now on which way to go on the new 340 M-sport. Definately getting the tint and gloss black wrapped roof again. Also getting the side blades painted AW to contrast w/ the matte M-Performance decals and painting the lower part of the front splitter AW. And this is where the confusion starts.

Original plan was that the wings on the front splitter were going to be CF, CF wrap the mirrors and grills again, then do a CF rear diffuser and trunk spoiler. Having 2nd thoughts since the side decals will still be matte black, if I should leave the wings on the front splitter matte black, gloss black grills, mirrors either left AW or gloss black, AW spoiler, and matte or gloss black for the diffuser.
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #2
iki4life
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i SportLine

I prefer painted because it doesnt look "aftermarket", and gives it a more OEM look.
To each his/her own, but I've seen tons of AW cars that have carbon fiber or matte spoilers, etc, and it just doesnt look good to me personally. I think you can get away with the carbon fiber look if your car color is blue, grey or black, but I dont like it on lighter colors such as white and silver. I think Matte is a big NO, no matter what color the car is.
Ive seen cars with color matched spoilers and they look gorgeous, but thats just my personal opinion. As a matter of fact, I was going to wrap my car roof in gloss black on my AW car but I ultimately decided against it because I wanted it to look the least "aftermarket" as possible and not make it into something it wasn't meant to be.

Last edited by iki4life; 03-09-2017 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #3
iMinLuv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i M-Sport track pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by skw View Post
Torn now on which way to go on the new 340 M-sport. Definately getting the tint and gloss black wrapped roof again. Also getting the side blades painted AW to contrast w/ the matte M-Performance decals and painting the lower part of the front splitter AW. And this is where the confusion starts.

Original plan was that the wings on the front splitter were going to be CF, CF wrap the mirrors and grills again, then do a CF rear diffuser and trunk spoiler. Having 2nd thoughts since the side decals will still be matte black, if I should leave the wings on the front splitter matte black, gloss black grills, mirrors either left AW or gloss black, AW spoiler, and matte or gloss black for the diffuser.
Matte for front lip leave it unpainted it will get messed up unless it's just a show car. Spend $200 on a nice unpainted one and then you won't cry if you nic it on something like you would on an $800 carbon fiber piece.

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images