BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Track day insurance

11-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
AndyinHou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2023 M2 BG O.T.W.

Track day insurance

Hey guys, sorry but this'll be a bit of a noob post.

My wife got me an instructed track session for my birthday, and having never taken (any) car on a track before, what's the best way to insure it? I'd guess the track would have contacts, but I'm looking for good coverage at a reasonable price!
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      11-06-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyinHou View Post

My wife got me an instructed track session for my birthday, and having never taken (any) car on a track before, what's the best way to insure it? I'd guess the track would have contacts, but I'm looking for good coverage at a reasonable price!
Check out motorsportreg.com. You'll find a reference there to buy track day insurance. Don't forget to use your BMWCCA membership to get a discounted price.
Attached Images

11-06-2017, 10:34 PM   #3
Ktmdriver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB DCT

Hagarty offers track day insurance.

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/track-day-insurance
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      11-07-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Lockton offers track day insurance too

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 2
rich8566608.50
      11-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #5
digdiss
Rep
Drives: M2 FY17 MG 6MT

Quote:

Check your current policy before buying additional insurance. If it's an instructed event you may be covered...I have geico and they do cover me for certain track instruction.

Get on the phone with the company, let them review the web site with info on the event you're signed up for and they can give you a definitive answer.
Appreciate 2
rich8566608.50
AndyinHou479.00
      11-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdiss View Post
Check your current policy before buying additional insurance. If it's an instructed event you may be covered...I have geico and they do cover me for certain track instruction.

Get on the phone with the company, let them review the web site with info on the event you're signed up for and they can give you a definitive answer.
NOT RECOMMENDED..... many people have been DROPPED by their insurer after calling to INQUIRE about track day coverage with their standard insurer
Appreciate 3
rich8566608.50
nachob2316.00
      11-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
digdiss
Rep
Drives: M2 FY17 MG 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:

NOT RECOMMENDED..... many people have been DROPPED by their insurer after calling to INQUIRE about track day coverage with their standard insurer
Oh. News to me.

So...even though they explicitly told me I was covered should I be getting track day insurance anyway?

Been with geico for 15 years for cars and motorcycles. Never had an issue but...
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      11-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #8
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh. News to me.

So...even though they explicitly told me I was covered should I be getting track day insurance anyway?

Been with geico for 15 years for cars and motorcycles. Never had an issue but...
Don't go with the word of mouth, read your insurance policy and find out if it covers.
Geico is a big company with cost cutting everywhere, I wd not trust those customer service ppl unless it's in writing.
Appreciate 2
rich8566608.50
Aronis2274.00
      11-07-2017, 08:12 PM   #9
gds52
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Whatever event you are going to, check the website, there must be a track insurance company covering that event.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh. News to me.

It all depends on your agent.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      11-07-2017, 09:22 PM   #11
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
It all depends on your agent.
It all depends on what is written into your insurance declaration

USAA will not cover any event (timed or untimed) that happens on a racing surfaced...I believe State Farm has similar language

I wouldn't even attempt to do this with your standard insurance company...there are others out there that can insure

WITH THAT SAID...if this is the first time out and you are a mature adult with an instructor, its pretty low risk to go without insurance. I've never gotten track day insurance in my life. I'm also not driving 10/10th as if I was going to win the HPDE Championship
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #12
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh. News to me.

Don't go with the word of mouth, read your insurance policy and find out if it covers.
Geico is a big company with cost cutting everywhere, I wd not trust those customer service ppl unless it's in writing.

For GODS SAKE - don't go asking your insurance company to " put it in writing " that they will cover your car on track !

It's ALREADY in WRITING. The policy is a CONTRACT.

If you don't understand the policy contract , I recommend contacting an attorney, not your local agent or claims-person-in-a-box to help you interpret it.
Appreciate 3
McPurrs290.00
omasou2090.50
rich8566608.50
      11-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #13
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post

It all depends on what is written into your insurance declaration

USAA will not cover any event (timed or untimed) that happens on a racing surfaced...I believe State Farm has similar language

I wouldn't even attempt to do this with your standard insurance company...there are others out there that can insure

WITH THAT SAID...if this is the first time out and you are a mature adult with an instructor, its pretty low risk to go without insurance. I've never gotten track day insurance in my life. I'm also not driving 10/10th as if I was going to win the HPDE Championship
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      11-08-2017, 09:22 AM   #14
gds52
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh. News to me.

For GODS SAKE - don't go asking your insurance company to " put it in writing " that they will cover your car on track !

It's ALREADY in WRITING. The policy is a CONTRACT.

If you don't understand the policy contract , I recommend contacting an attorney, not your local agent or claims-person-in-a-box to help you interpret it.
I think it's miscommunication between u and me ..lol.
I was replying to a post where someone said Geico standard insurance covers instructed track days. All I said was don't go for it unless it's written in the policy.
And yes, do not call ur insurance. They just don't cover any track. Just get track insurance for the event. Simple.
Appreciate 2
rich8566608.50
      11-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:

I just had to deal with two insurance companies after getting rear ended. Yes, not track insurance, but I can tell you they hold all the cards and there is little you can do and they will find a way to screw you. The vast majority are ignorant people. I could not find a single "car" person between both companies. They didn't understand anything. I have super clean, lower mileage, no accident, all original paint, mechanically perfect 330i ZHP with the bespoke Alcantara Laser Cloth interior and 6 speed. It was only offered in manual the year it came out. They deducted my car for not being automatic and not having leather interior. When they couldn't find clean ones in California like mine, they refused to look outside of California for comps. They simply ignored it and tried to use Sea Foam green automatic 330i with cream white leather and not ZHP for comparisons. They would add like $300 value on top for ZHP. Crap like that.

So I tried my insurance, same idiots, same process. It was hopeless. They are car ignorant people whose job depends on paying out the least amount of money. So you have a special car and you should get special insurance IMHO! At least these companies understand cars and you have a pre-agreed amount. Also even if your insurance ends up paying, they will probably cancel you after. Once they cancel you, they report to all other insurance companies that you were canceled and most other normal companies won't insure you. They will just deny you and say their report says you were canceled by X company regardless of reason. It's a horrible scam. It has happened to me twice.

Once when I was young, I had been with Allstate for 5 years and relocated to the South. I went straight to Allstate and applied. They took my money then called me a couple of days later and said my credit report was below their requirements and they canceled me. I went to all the other companies and they all ask you if you have been canceled by any other company. The also share data so they all said, can't insure you because allstate canceled you, even if it was 2 days. The perfect no accident, paid on time past 5 years didn't matter.

Then a few years back my wife got in a fended bender with a guy that had a cold. The next day the guy calls to get additional information from my wife and she asks how he is doing. He says he is achy but is not sure if it's the cold or accident. My wife tells him he should got get checked to be sure. So he goes to the doctor and gets checked out. The doctor tells him he is all good just a cold. He then submits the copay for the visit to our insurance comapny, GEICO. They then cancel both of us with previously perfect records because they paid $25 in medical expenses and tell us we have to go into an indemnity policy with drunk drivers. Same story again, all the other regular companies say you were canceled by Geico we can't insure you. So we have to get drunk driver policy for 3 years over a $25 copay that was for getting checked out. California insurance commission is basically toothless and most of the time they just regurgitate the same crap. I was told by them, if they spend a penny on anything "medical" you are screwed. But it was just a prudent checkup?? Doesn't matter.

So my two cents is that this is bad advice. Your insurance company is there for regular situations not track day regardless of what they call them...schools, whatever. I wouldn't risk it. The trouble that could come from a claim is not worth the $200 or even $300 they charge.

I hope that helps!

Last edited by nachob; 11-08-2017 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 2
rich8566608.50
akkando5867.50
      11-08-2017, 10:44 AM   #16
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, yes! As I mentioned in my reply below, once they drop you, you will have a hard time getting normal companies to take you back after getting dropped! M3Adjuster is probably the last "car guy" left in the entire insurance industry. It's maddening how the people assigning values in total loss departments at least for Mercury and Wawanese know absolutely nothing about cars.
Appreciate 2
rich8566608.50
      11-08-2017, 10:46 AM   #17
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Oh. News to me.

As a former insurance adjuster for a different company , I have read Geico's standard CA policy and it's clear that they didn't include any sort of track day, instructed or not, timed or not. Same goes for AAA, Esurance, and Progressive.

For most companies, when you call in a question about your auto insurance, the call will not go to an actual adjuster but a call center employee. That person will have generally less understanding of an insurance policy or more importantly how its actually gets put to use.

Last edited by greasypeanut; 11-08-2017 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 2
rich8566608.50
      11-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #18
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Thank you, yes! As I mentioned in my reply below, once they drop you, you will have a hard time getting normal companies to take you back after getting dropped! M3Adjuster is probably the last "car guy" left in the entire insurance industry. It's maddening how the people assigning values in total loss departments at least for Mercury and Wawanese know absolutely nothing about cars.
Fwiw if those two companies you spoke of in your previous post are Mercury and Wawanesa. There was some unluckiness on your part, Mercury and Wawanesa are two companies I've heard from former employees and insureds that are really harsh when it comes to dropping people after claims. Of course this info is not known to normal consumers, hence the unluckiness if you had chose those two.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      11-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #19
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypeanut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Fwiw if those two companies you spoke of in your previous post are Mercury and Wawanesa. There was some unluckiness on your part, Mercury and Wawanesa are two companies I've heard from former employees and insureds that are really harsh when it comes to dropping people after claims. Of course this info is not known to normal consumers, hence the unluckiness if you had chose those two.
Geico was the one that dropped both of us with longtime perfect records over a dr check up copay reimbursement and Allstate also and once dropped for ANY reason whatsoever you are blacklisted and few normal companies will take you after a drop. There is no complaint process like credit reporting agencies and they share information without recourse. They hold all the cards. The last good insurance experience was when I was in a hit and run. The person hit me and left. I got partial plate and car description but police wouldn't follow up because it wasn't worth their time. I was going to have to pay $500 deductible on my policy. By miracle the adjuster was a fellow autocrosser and he took it upon himself to run the plate and found a matching car a couple of miles from the accident. He went to the house and a guy answers the door. He asks if he could see the car and he says it's his 86 year old moms car and is in the body shop. She told him she hit something but didn't see anyone so she left. She didn't see me because she almost rolled me over and I was basically in a ditch by then so she
Just left. So again a car guy in the industry made the difference but I can tell you there are few left. Proceed at your own blissful peril but for OP he should get track insurance . That is the better answer than hope you will find a Decent insurance Company that will cover you and not drop you if you have a track mishap.
Appreciate 2
rich8566608.50