BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-31-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
bbl_jeff
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Blinking Brake Light Installation

For those that are interested, here is how you install Blinking Brake Light Module on your BMW X5's 3rd (center) light without cutting any wires. Not cutting any wires means, if you ever want to go back to stock and stop the blinking effect you can do so by plugging the plug back together.

Video: https://youtu.be/m_ydflbF-78
Installation Time: 15mins
Tools Required:
Flat Head Screwdriver
Rag (optional)
Pliers or Vice Grip
4 WireTap Connectors (red)

Step 1. Open the trunk.

Step 2a. Stick your flat head screwdriver under the plastic piece one side and pull up. Once you hear a pop then work your way to the other side slowly pulling up. This plastic piece is held together with plastic clips. They will require some force and when enough force is used then they will pop right off.

Step 2b. Cover Off.

Step 3. Locate the plug you'll be adding the red wire tap connectors too, I have circled the plug in the picture.

Step 4. You will pull one or the other plug off. It's a tight fit it will require some muscle to pull it apart. Make sure you don't end up pulling the wires off the plug, you want to remove the plug with the wires intact. Once you have unplugged one then you're ready for step 5.

Step 5. Take the Blinking Brake Lights Module, there are two ends on the module. One going In and the other going Out and each side has a positive wire and a negative wire.

Take the wires from the "IN" side of the module and tap them to the 3rd brake wires going into the car. The wires are

BBL Module RED Wire - BMW Grey/Yellow Wire (Positive)
BBL Module Black Wire - BMW Solid Brown Wire (Negative)

Now take the wires from the "OUT" side of the module and tap them to the 3rd brake wires going to the actual 3rd brake light. The wires are

BBL Module RED Wire - BMW Blue Wire (Positive)
BBL Module Black Wire - BMW Grey Wire (Negative)

Once you have everything hooked up. Test them to make sure you've installed them correctly and if you've followed my directions then you should not have any problem. Put the double sided 3M tape and mount it on the trunk and you're ready to install your plastic trim piece back on because you're all done.

Thank you and If anybody has any questions, please feel free to ask.
- Jeffrey

Last edited by bbl_jeff; 01-02-2018 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 3
Doanster626.50
1004ron16.00
      12-31-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

What is the purpose for brake light blinking? How do make it blinking after install? Pressing brake pedal?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
bbl_jeff
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yewlock View Post
What is the purpose for brake light blinking? How do make it blinking after install? Pressing brake pedal?

Thanks
Your 3rd brake light will blink when brakes are applied. They will stay lit after a certain amount of blink.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

I saw the video and its actually pretty neat. It quickly catchs the attention of the rear drivers without being annoying.. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by sbinshihon; 12-31-2017 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 11:30 AM   #5
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

It's called the Panic Stop. Even Carollas have this feature now.
For non-US F15s, you can actually code it to work properly. People have coded it on US cars, but all sorts of errors happen, so definitely not recommended.
      01-01-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
bbl_jeff
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
It's called the Panic Stop. Even Carollas have this feature now.
For non-US F15s, you can actually code it to work properly. People have coded it on US cars, but all sorts of errors happen, so definitely not recommended.
I have zero issues with the module installed. No Error light shows nor is the car driving any different. Can you elaborate what type of error shows up after coding? This is the best route to take if want this effect on your 3rd brake light and not have any issue's.

Last edited by bbl_jeff; 01-01-2018 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
bbl_jeff
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinshihon View Post
I saw the video and its actually pretty neat. It quickly catchs the attention of the rear drivers without being annoying.. Thanks for sharing.
You're very welcome. A lot of people say the same thing when they see it in person, It's not annoying at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #8
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

A good module would flash the 3rd brake light only on hard braking, not all the time.

I had one like that installed on my previous car.

As per the owner's manual of the F15, in case of hard braking there are additional lights that come on anyway.
Appreciate 1
1230vani648.50
      01-01-2018, 12:11 PM   #9
Doanster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbl_jeff View Post
I have zero issues with the module installed. No Error light shows nor is the car driving any different. Can you elaborate what type of error shows up after coding? This is the best route to take if want this effect on your 3rd brake light and not have any issue's.
I didn't mean to say your module would cause errors. I meant that stock... it is able to be coded, but throws errors on US-spec'd cars. I'd have to dig through the Coding thread for specifics.
Your module works because the car doesn't know any different since the module is controlling the blink rate.
      01-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #10
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Guys, this has a different function than Brake Force which I have tried and only work under really hard braking.

This meant to work as an extra protection for daily use under normal braking. We all know how people drive while using their phones nowadays. This might help catch someone's attention and prevent a rear collision.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 10:58 PM   #11
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

cool feature for at speed braking, but would look dumb in bumper to bumper traffic.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 12:16 AM   #12
bbl_jeff
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
cool feature for at speed braking, but would look dumb in bumper to bumper traffic.
At this point, I don't mind looking dumb during bumper to bumper traffic. My family has been rear-ended twice and one of them was when my wife was pregnant. I have these installed on all my vehicles and not once have I been approach saying it was annoying or dumb nor have I been given that look by other drivers while on the road. Drivers behind me keep their distance more after seeing the lights blink. It makes my family and myself feel a lot safer whenever we hit the road. One thing I always tell people to do when they don't think the product work is to "Tap their brakes 4 times" and watch the drivers behind them slow down. They often come back and make a purchase. Anyway, I don't want to make this post too long. It's not for everybody I know but just know that these do make a difference.

Last edited by bbl_jeff; 01-02-2018 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 12:24 AM   #13
bbl_jeff
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinshihon View Post
Guys, this has a different function than Brake Force which I have tried and only work under really hard braking.

This meant to work as an extra protection for daily use under normal braking. We all know how people drive while using their phones nowadays. This might help catch someone's attention and prevent a rear collision.
I was curious how hard you have to press the brakes in order for the 3rd brake light to blink.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 02:08 AM   #14
Doanster
Major
Rep

Great safety mod for $7. Good job, bbl_jeff!
      01-02-2018, 03:35 AM   #15
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbl_jeff View Post
At this point, I don't mind looking dumb during bumper to bumper traffic. My family has been rear-ended twice and one of them was when my wife was pregnant. I have these installed on all my vehicles and not once have I been approach saying it was annoying or dumb nor have I been given that look by other drivers while on the road. Drivers behind me keep their distance more after seeing the lights blink. It makes my family and myself feel a lot safer whenever we hit the road. One thing I always tell people to do when they don't think the product work is to "Tap their brakes 4 times" and watch the drivers behind them slow down. They often come back and make a purchase. Anyway, I don't want to make this post too long. It's not for everybody I know but just know that these do make a difference.
sorry to offend you. i didnt realize this was your company and product.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 05:52 AM   #16
Gilly1964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 30d MSport

Perhaps one for the coders out there as this is standard functionality in Europe. Heavy deceleration from speeds higher than about 50 miles an hour triggers the flashing brake lights and also activates the hazards if you continue to brake hard to speeds below 10 miles an hour
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 07:31 AM   #17
Yaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
So much this.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 07:54 AM   #18
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Nice $2 mod - ebay item # 182917950920
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #19
Doanster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
Quote:
So much this.
Isn't bumper-to-bumper traffic where many minor fender benders happen because people looked away and didn't notice traffic was stopped in front of them?
      01-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #20
Yaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
Isn't bumper-to-bumper traffic where many minor fender benders happen because people looked away and didn't notice traffic was stopped in front of them?
I think if drivers are doing something which prevents them from seeing a vehicle the size of a shed in front of them that a bit of blinking light that would be lit anyway is not likely to help. For those that have to stare at it every time you touched the brake just because they are actually paying attention will not benefit from it and just get rather annoyed rather quick. I really hope this doesn't become a thing. This is on the same level as with Audi / Mercs running rear fogs 24/7.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #21
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

This is what Doanster is describing that is standard on Euro spec cars, but can be coded into your US spec car:

I could not find a video of it on the F15, but essentially works the same way with 3 stages; normal, hard, very hard indications.

The center brake light flashing that bbl_jeff installed flashes the center every time regardless of how hard you press the brake.

I see this on lots of cars now. I think that if you are in an area where you drive in lots of bumper to bumper traffic that it's a good idea; anything that gets or might get the attention of someone behind you is a good thing. Studies have proven that flashing lights get more attention than steady ones.

I'd be curious if this works with the brake force coding. Be happy to try it out on mine and report back if bbl_jeff wants to send me one.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #22
Doanster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
This is on the same level as with Audi / Mercs running rear fogs 24/7.
Couldn't agree more with his. What's worse now is that many cars have rear fogs on both sides vs the traditional left side only. Makes it look like people are riding their (really bright) brakes.