BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions blew 530i subwoofer under passenger seat *how?*

07-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530i

blew 530i subwoofer under passenger seat *how?*

I started to hear rattling and shaking that drove me crazy so I started to investigate the problem and found out it was coming from under the passenger seat. took it to bmw dealer and they told me the subwoofer was blown caring distorting. told me its going to be 7-10 business days for the part to arrive. will it be an issue if I still listen to the music medium to high or will it cause further damage to other speakers.... also why did subwoofer blow like that .. bmw stuff should be top of line... I didn't add or modify anything audio wise......
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #2
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

probably had the volume too loud with bass heavy music.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #3
Phas
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinlife View Post
I started to hear rattling and shaking that drove me crazy so I started to investigate the problem and found out it was coming from under the passenger seat. took it to bmw dealer and they told me the subwoofer was blown caring distorting. told me its going to be 7-10 business days for the part to arrive. will it be an issue if I still listen to the music medium to high or will it cause further damage to other speakers.... also why did subwoofer blow like that .. bmw stuff should be top of line... I didn't add or modify anything audio wise......
Oh Dear.... here we go again... LOL
More than likely playing music too loud with too much bass. Turn it down "Bossman", and return to livinlife.
Cheers
      07-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep

lol thanks.... but u know what I mean.... so they will blow again? like if playin to loud?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Playing "one direction " at full volume will do that!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #6
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinlife View Post
lol thanks.... but u know what I mean.... so they will blow again? like if playin to loud?
Lol yes? I mean you should be covered under warranty. I’ll say this with the HK, some of my songs definitely sound louder in bass even in same genre so I adjust volume more song to song . I like bass too so I get you. Funny for me now driving a hybrid the music is way louder than I expected from the outside as there’s little to no engine noise to buffer. It must sound like I’m purposely trying to deafen myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 11:56 PM   #7
2tek
Daddy Wagon
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G31

Thinking differently should the speakers not be matched in power rating to the amp ab initio for a brand like BMW?

It's not like some DIY install...like my old Mazda in college days?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 05:50 AM   #8
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tek View Post
Thinking differently should the speakers not be matched in power rating to the amp ab initio for a brand like BMW?

It's not like some DIY install...like my old Mazda in college days?
The setup is designed for most users. Playing music loudly with lots of bass is not most users. Sure they could design a system to handle that but that would cost extra and not be of any benefit to most buyers.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #9
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I don't have HK btw.... I have HiFi.... it sucks as it is....

and if I put bass level in the "tone" menu at middle "0" will it help it by not blowing? it was a notch or two over 0 +1 or +2 I believe

also is it causing more damage as of now since im still playing music until the part arrives at dealer.... or whatever blew is blown and nothing else can be caused by that being blown....

also is there a test they can do to see if anything else popped or blew since that... or they probably won't even bother to check it.... there mfs in the dealer
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #10
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive, 2021 X5M co

Garage List
You should be fine to continue playing your music, just try not to blow the other woofer. I don't know about the hifi system but the HK puts out some pretty decent bass but I think the subwoofers are pretty low quality compared to aftermarket so I am always careful.
      07-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #11
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep

got u.... yeah I haven't been playing it like before due to worrying of ruining the system... can the door speaker on pass pop if playing.... or not possible .... in this situation
Appreciate 0