BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-04-2020, 04:30 PM   #1
Submariner2009
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

2014 X5 Post-Battery Disconnect Errors/Issues

Folks,

An updated/more detailed posting from last week, and I appreciate the replies provided thus far.

Long story short, I installed a BimmerTech amp to improve on the old system. As directed I disconnected both batteries (main and aux) during the install (they were off for maybe 15 mins) and subsequently have been experiencing a series of errors, most of which are below (thanks to BimmerLink).

In addition to a cruise control error, I'm now getting a constant "Driving stabilization: Drive moderately. Initialization in progress" message as well as "Frontal Collision Warning System" and "Daytime Pedestrian Warning Limited" ones. Oh, and the turn signals won't turn off anymore.

I deleted/erased the error codes with BimmerLink but they kicked back up as soon as I started driving (thus the below)

So, do I:

** Disconnect the battery again to reset everything in the hopes it goes away via full reboot?
** Bring to the dealer for them to refresh/recalibrate (at great cost no doubt)
** Consider something else I'm missing in the hopes of avoiding #2?

Thanks again to those already responding and providing guidance!

Error memory

Integrated Chassis Management
2 errors
4827F3: FAS SIGNAL ERROR - UNDEFINED CONTENT OR INSUFFICIENT QUALITY
D01B2A: SIGNAL ERROR (IF POSITION EPS, ID: AVL_PO_EPS) - INVALID

Dynamic Stability Control
1 error
48078B: FRONT AXLE STEERING ANGLE STEERING ANGLE SIGNAL ABOVE VFUSI NOT INITIALIZED

Electromechanical Power Steering
2 errors
48239C: SENSOR - STEERING ANGLE INDEX - DEFECT
D51A53: SIGNAL ERROR (IS STEERING ANGLE FRONT AXLE, ID: AVL_STEA_FTAX) SENDER: ICM_QL - QUALIFIER

Camera-Based Driver Assist System
3 errors
E06C07: SIGNAL (301H): INVALID RECEIVED: IST_LENKWINKEL_FAHRER, IST_LENKWINKELGESCHWINDIGKEIT_FAHRER
E06C43: SIGNAL STATUS_AVAILABILITY_CHAIN_BRUSH RECEIVED INVALID OR BRAKE CHAIN NOT AVAILABLE
E06C44: SIGNAL STATUS_AVAILABILITY_CHAIN_WARNING RECEIVED INVALID OR WARNING CHAIN NOT AVAILABLE
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
It’s not the result of disconnecting a battery.

What did you had before installing the amp? HK?

Last edited by TheUltimateDrivingManiac; 01-04-2020 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 04:43 PM   #3
Submariner2009
Rep

Thanks, no I had the US-base HiFi system, I merely removed and replaced the amp, which came with all the cables etc, nothing beyond that and none of these issues had occurred before
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 05:46 PM   #4
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Are your batteries original? If so, that may be your problem. Weak batteries cause issues.
Other thing I can think of is you have a wiring connector disconnected somewhere. A communication issue perhaps.
Was there an extra wire at the battery that you perhaps didn't connect?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
Submariner2009
Rep

Thanks for the reply -- the main battery is OEM and was replaced in July 2019 by my local dealer

I'll double-check on the connections but I think I got everything

Fuse perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 09:13 PM   #6
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Nope, not fuse. Maybe your amp is faulty and spoofing incorrect messages into the bus.
      01-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #7
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
Nope, not fuse. Maybe your amp is faulty and spoofing incorrect messages into the bus.
Agree. Remove Amp and see if faults clear.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 07:43 PM   #8
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

Just drive the vehicle around the block and turn off and turn it back on. The vehicle’s should reset the everything.

It will do that every time you disconnect the battery, the modules needs to read the speed sensor and steering angle sensor so it can reinitialize the modules and it’s function. I’ve had this issue pop up when I had to disconnect the battery for a few hours to remove the steering wheel and SRS airbag.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #9
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

You need to recalibrate the steering angle sensor. It can be done with ISTA+ and ENET cable, or at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 08:43 AM   #10
Submariner2009
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.47 View Post
Just drive the vehicle around the block and turn off and turn it back on. The vehicle’s should reset the everything.

It will do that every time you disconnect the battery, the modules needs to read the speed sensor and steering angle sensor so it can reinitialize the modules and it’s function. I’ve had this issue pop up when I had to disconnect the battery for a few hours to remove the steering wheel and SRS airbag.
Thanks for the response -- do/should I need to disconnect the battery again, clean out all the error codes and do this or give it a try first? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 08:57 AM   #11
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

After a battery disconnect, rotate the steering wheel end-to-end.

Also, run all windows up and down, otherwise they won't run automatically.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 09:11 AM   #12
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31, 2014 F15, 2002 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner2009 View Post
Thanks for the response -- do/should I need to disconnect the battery again, clean out all the error codes and do this or give it a try first? Thanks
No need to disconnect the battery. The sensors should calibrate during a 15-30 minute drive. If they don't, you may need to have them reset using ISTA+ (at a dealer, or by yourself).
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 06:04 PM   #13
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Just driving it should take care of it.

Extremely unlikely for it to be the amp, it's not on any network.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2020, 11:35 AM   #14
rahassell
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
You need to recalibrate the steering angle sensor. It can be done with ISTA+ and ENET cable, or at the dealer.
Did this fix the problem for the original post issues?

I am getting the same errors codes after disconnecting my battery and it was off for about an hour or two. I installed a Andream CarPlay module which connects to the X5 monitor and the head unit. I put every thing back together. Immediately upon reconnecting the battery, I got all the error codes listed in this post/forum. Error messages:

1. initialization of Driving Stabilization Malfunction
2. Collision warning system malfunction
3. Pedestrian warning limited

After reading this post of error, I also notice my signal light don’t turn off after turning.

I rechecked all connections and everything was connected. I checked 3 times. I eventually just disconnected the Andream CarPlay module to test to see if the errors would go away. The errors are still there, so now I’m
Wondering if it’s a simple reset/calibration like previously mentioned.

This can’t be a coincidence. Same errors but different type aftermarket install. The only similar/same action is the battery disconnect.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #15
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Yes, try the re calibration, helps most of people.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2020, 01:33 PM   #16
rahassell
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Yes, try the re calibration, helps most of people.
Thanks, I don't have a unit to reset or recalibrate. I will take to a shop in morning and report back if that fixed my issues. Thanks again for responding so quickly.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 05:50 PM   #17
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahassell View Post
Thanks, I don't have a unit to reset or recalibrate. I will take to a shop in morning and report back if that fixed my issues. Thanks again for responding so quickly.
All you need is the enet cable and ista installed on your computer.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 10:55 PM   #18
quandary
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

It is definitely the power loss. I have the exact same problem after changing the batteries to new BMW batteries. I have read that other people have the same issue.

I have seen Youtube videos related to SAS calibration but have run into a few issues with setup.

1) I have exchanged email with Carly and they do not beleive that the issue is related and they have no fix. They cannot provide coding to recalibrate the steering angle sensor.
2) I have tried the rotate the steering wheel to each side and then to centre. It does not reset the steering angle sensor.
3) I have installed ista+. It communicates properly and reads the errors properly. However, the functions require additional files that are not as easy to download. With the limited support, i decided not to risk bricking my vehicle.
4) I purchased the Foxwell NT650 Elite and NT680 tools because i saw another Youtube video. The re calibration function tied to SAS is not available for my F15. However, the menus take you to a EPS reset menu that warn you to connect to an outside power source, so i'm not sure it does the same function. Foxwell does not seem provide any after-sale support so i'm stuck. If anyone knows how to do this, please help. I will post in another thread.
5) I have a scheduled appointment with the dealer and am expecting to spend hundred on coding and calibration.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 11:06 AM   #19
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quandary View Post
3) I have installed ista+. It communicates properly and reads the errors properly. However, the functions require additional files that are not as easy to download. With the limited support, i decided not to risk bricking my vehicle.
There is no risk of bricking your car with ISTA doing this, this calibration is standard procedure and if you installed your ISTA properly you will not need any additional files. As a recent example all problems where solved here after calibration:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1735779&page=2

ISTA installation guide is here as well as link to proper download
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1568962
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #20
quandary
Private
Rep

Thanks. That's the link i used and found the installation relatively well documented. (When you get to the VMWare and IP configuration, it is not as easy to interpret.)

The ISTA+ download does not contain the psdzdata files in the folders. So, i'm concerned about picking them from another application/ location and whether the versions are correct. Although the forums are good, it's not always easy to figure out without investing a lot of time.

Since i bought the Foxwell tools, i was hoping someone on the forum could help.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 02:09 PM   #21
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quandary View Post
Thanks. That's the link i used and found the installation relatively well documented. (When you get to the VMWare and IP configuration, it is not as easy to interpret.)

The ISTA+ download does not contain the psdzdata files in the folders. So, i'm concerned about picking them from another application/ location and whether the versions are correct. Although the forums are good, it's not always easy to figure out without investing a lot of time.

Since i bought the Foxwell tools, i was hoping someone on the forum could help.
You can get Psddzdata here https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=983244

I code my car so I already got installed. Not sure why go "one size fits it all" Foxwell solution which might not be able to do what you need vs using the BMW solution designed specifically for what are you trying to do. Foxwell scanners are great but ISTA is so much better for BMW. You can't beat that.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #22
quandary
Private
Rep

Thanks. It's not clear in the instructions but can in the thread others have had problems with the SDP data. Do i simply extract a couple folders and copy them into the ISTA folders?
Appreciate 0