E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > P107A and no power at high rpm

04-11-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
Indyeah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT SGM

P107A and no power at high rpm

Hey all,

About a year ago I found oil in the eccentric shaft sensor well so I replaced it and all the gaskets in the valve cover. I'm ashamed to say I didn't place the valvetronic motor in the correct service position before removing its retaining bolts. As a result I had a massive grinding noise as the motor literally shot off of the valve cover. After suppressing the urge to jump off a cliff I check it out and the shaft was still ok so I reinstalled it.

Lately I've been noticing that while the car drives normally under 4,500 RPM, there's basically zero power above that. It'll rev to 7k but it feels like it stops pulling after about 4.5. About a week ago I got a P107A VVT Overload Protection Control Motor Current Too High code and no other codes. Searching forums reveals only a handful of threads and all of those people had other codes along with it. Others have gotten this with bad coil packs but I have no misfires. Anyone know where I should start? Should I just replace the valvetronic motor?

Thank you,
George