bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-13-2022, 06:52 PM   #1
rashannon81
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Base IOMG 6MT

G42 Tuning Options THERE IS HOPE

My 2022 is on order, expecting delivery sometime in March, fingers crossed.

I typically go pretty wild with mods, which led me to do all the research I can even though delivery is months away.

Here's a list of information I've gathered so far. Would love some more input to have a sort of comprehensive guide on these cars.

Tuning the G42 via flash IS possible, however the situation is unique.
It requires a bench unlock from FEMTO, in Russia. (~700$)
And as of right now, requires their software (1200$ for the self tune license)for the flash with a standard cable, same as any other software.

I've heard rumor of another company that will shortly be able to flash once it's unlocked.
I.e., the only means of unlocking lies with FEMTO.
For now.. hopefully..

These ECUs cannot be cloned, as there are no "unlockable" versions available to be the "canvas" for the data copy.

Still need to figure out how to turn off OTA updates to inhibit "Big BMW" from potentially locking it again.

Personally I don't like the idea of the JB4, simply rams more boost in there and let's trim do the work. Not a fan.

Once my car gets here, I'll likely be finding the limit of some drivetrain parts if they haven't already been found.
Appreciate 3
Hendo741645.00
Niko ZV118.00
sikotic488.00
      01-13-2022, 08:30 PM   #2
Hendo741
Chief Petty Officer
Rep
Drives: 22 M4CX / 22 X3MC

I'll be keeping an eye on the situation as well, although I am unlikely to send the ECU to FEMTO for an unlock for this car as it is a placeholder until my M4CX arrives.

Some friendly advice in the interim, the JB4 is actually a pretty good device and decent performance gain for the cost. I was skeptical at first and have literal hundreds of logs between my Supra and M240. I log and pull out each run and throw them into virtual dyno for comparison. Cant deny that it works.

Figuring out the Xdrive programming with a locked ECU is going to be a challenge as well, and it probably wont be long before you reach its limits. I'll be sharing any and all info I get here and hope you will do the same!
Appreciate 1
lithe31.00
      01-13-2022, 09:22 PM   #3
rashannon81
Enlisted Member
Rep

I suspect a twisted driveshaft will happen first. Beyond that, I know there's a few places that can beef up the 8hp50.

Not sure if messing with the xdrive programming will be too kuch of a concern, seems to just operate based on wheel slip. I'm sure there's a table in there to change bias based on slip. Or something of that sort.

Maybe jb4 to hold me over before I upgrade the turbo, but we'll see when the time comes.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 02:23 AM   #4
BeemerBaron
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'm planning to run a JB4, de-catted down pipe & heat exchanger while I wait for the unlocked DME.

Also tempted to bolt a Pure800 while waiting for the DME unlock and see how the stock ECU can deal with it but who knows what drive-ability would be like without a tune?!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 09:21 AM   #5
rashannon81
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingray View Post
I'm planning to run a JB4, de-catted down pipe & heat exchanger while I wait for the unlocked DME.

Also tempted to bolt a Pure800 while waiting for the DME unlock and see how the stock ECU can deal with it but who knows what drive-ability would be like without a tune?!
I don't have the guts to send a piggyback on a big turbo. Guys are maxing out fuel trims on the stock one. Godspeed.
Appreciate 1
Niko ZV118.00
      01-14-2022, 09:37 AM   #6
rashannon81
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingray View Post

I don't have the guts to send a piggyback on a big turbo. Guys are maxing out fuel trims on the stock one. Godspeed.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 08:18 AM   #7
JDM_240
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i (Thundernight)

There is a lot of info here from people tuning the b58 with the Supra. Obviously not XDrive but this would have some info there
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 09:14 AM   #8
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Tuners?

I'm new to BMW tuning...who's the best insofar as reliability? Burger? Dinan? Carbahn (actual Steve Dinan)? Others?

I know most are wanting to push tons more power through their B58, but I'm a 230/B48 owner just wanting to crack 300hp/350lb-ft with a tune. I may do CAI and DP, but for now, I think a good tune will do me fine. Just don't know which is the best.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 10:21 AM   #9
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

All those vendors you mentioned make pretty safe, mild stage 1 tunes via a plug in type module. They generally work by "fooling" the engines ECU with changed sensor readings to generate a bit more power. They are all considered pretty safe, as the gains are still on the low side compared to a "flash" tune which changes the programming of the ECU itself.
The plug in type are also generally a lot less expensive and can be removed fairly easily, depending on the type.
Flash tunes like MHD, BM3, MG, etc. can give you much greater gains, but also need a lot more attention, modifications to be trouble free.
Also, the later B58s have locked ECUs from the factory and cannot be flashed presently, unless you're willing to ship the ECU to Russia for a bench unlock!
I'm not familiar with what's available for the B48 specifically, but I think you should be ok with any of those brands for a mild increase in performance.
Dinosoar290.50
      01-19-2022, 12:31 PM   #10
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpirx View Post
All those vendors you mentioned make pretty safe, mild stage 1 tunes via a plug in type module. They generally work by "fooling" the engines ECU with changed sensor readings to generate a bit more power. They are all considered pretty safe, as the gains are still on the low side compared to a "flash" tune which changes the programming of the ECU itself.
The plug in type are also generally a lot less expensive and can be removed fairly easily, depending on the type.
Flash tunes like MHD, BM3, MG, etc. can give you much greater gains, but also need a lot more attention, modifications to be trouble free.
Also, the later B58s have locked ECUs from the factory and cannot be flashed presently, unless you're willing to ship the ECU to Russia for a bench unlock!
I'm not familiar with what's available for the B48 specifically, but I think you should be ok with any of those brands for a mild increase in performance.
Thanks! Super helpful for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 12:54 AM   #11
702MoxyBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo741 View Post
I'll be keeping an eye on the situation as well, although I am unlikely to send the ECU to FEMTO for an unlock for this car as it is a placeholder until my M4CX arrives.

Some friendly advice in the interim, the JB4 is actually a pretty good device and decent performance gain for the cost. I was skeptical at first and have literal hundreds of logs between my Supra and M240. I log and pull out each run and throw them into virtual dyno for comparison. Cant deny that it works.

Figuring out the Xdrive programming with a locked ECU is going to be a challenge as well, and it probably wont be long before you reach its limits. I'll be sharing any and all info I get here and hope you will do the same!
I want to pick up the JB4 next month. Which version and accessories should I order it with? I tried to email Burger Motorsports but didn't get any response. I think you may have replied to my post awhile back regarding this.

Thanks.
      01-20-2022, 10:45 AM   #12
Hendo741
Chief Petty Officer
Rep
Drives: 22 M4CX / 22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 702MoxyBMW View Post
I want to pick up the JB4 next month. Which version and accessories should I order it with? I tried to email Burger Motorsports but didn't get any response. I think you may have replied to my post awhile back regarding this.

Thanks.
https://burgertuning.com/collections/jb4/products/b58-jb4

All new JB4s come with the EWG connection I believe. Only option is wired or wireless, and I would opt for wireless. I enjoy the JB4 gauges you can display on a phone and the interface is much easier on top of logging and reviewing graphs. No brainer imo.
Appreciate 1
Dinosoar290.50
      01-20-2022, 12:19 PM   #13
702MoxyBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

thank you! I just ordered it today.

Last edited by 702MoxyBMW; 01-20-2022 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 11:59 AM   #14
rashannon81
Enlisted Member
Rep

As of a few days ago, MG Flasher announced their support for the FEMTO unlock. Still needs to go to Russia, but a 300$ flash license and a LOT of tuners support it.

Also have heard word that FEMTO has an OBD unlock, so it may become ridiculously easy in the near future. BM3, MHD need to get on board and we're in business.

Considering the recency of these ECUs, by the end of the year were likely to be just as tuneable as <2019 cars.

Only issue still on the table is the TCU tune, xHP I hope is working on it and I've DMed them inquiring on the matter.

I'm digging into this pretty hard each day and will continue to update here.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 03:17 PM   #15
rashannon81
Enlisted Member
Rep

Got this reply from FEMTO:
- **** DME needs to be sent to us for the initial unlock ****
After that:
- OBD flashing is available for our selected beta testers only
- Flashing is available with use of our own femto obd flasher ONLY (If you want other flashers to work with our unlock - you'll have to ask their developers to add this option)
- Only map (calibration/swfk) area is available for OBD writing (*)
- We can flash asw (software/swfl) area only while your DME is at our labs upon your request (*)
- Another option (petrol only!): MGFlasher app (app purchased separately) - you can flash your car using their phone app after our unlock. Please explicitly indicate if you wish to use this option.
- Prices are: EUR 750/each ECU for the M series cars, EUR 600/each ECU for others, EUR 100 extra - for remote engine start fix, only if this option was already enabled and working.
- V8 Engines are eqipped with 2xECUs
- Shipping cost NOT included
- If we are taking you into our beta program, we'll be asking you to mention

The M240i is not an "M series" car per FEMTO.

With the conversion rate, it'll be around 800 USD and about 50 USD each way for shipping.

900$ total for the MG flasher route, spendy but worth it in my opinion.

Last edited by rashannon81; 01-22-2022 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Fix
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 03:52 PM   #16
613B6
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Great info appreciate you keeping people in the loop.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 05:14 PM   #17
rashannon81
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 613B6 View Post
Great info appreciate you keeping people in the loop.
Happy to do it. Nobody else is.

I got word from FEMTO that MHD and BM3 are also testing to support their unlock.

Custom coding, i.e., anti-lag/OTF map switching needs to be coded by FEMTO. You must tell them when sending your DME in.

They do in fact have an OBD unlock, but do not plan to release it such that " Big BMW" can't patch it.

As far as OTA updates, they can be turned off via the I-Drive.

Last edited by rashannon81; 01-22-2022 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 10:46 AM   #18
Dynamodux
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m240i

Do we know the weak point on the xdrive system itself? I could of sworn I read somewhere driveshafts have been broken also?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 03:46 PM   #19
rashannon81
Enlisted Member
Rep

I've read the same thing. Seems to be only on a prepped track. I can't seem to find any aftermarket driveshafts. I'll probably get with DSS to get a custom one made.

Trans will likely slip at around 650awhp, could upgrade clutches to get a bit more out of it and a xHP tune(once unlocked) would help a bit too.

Also the option of a 8hp70 swap from a diesel car in the EU. It's been done before. Just need a different crossmember, shorter front shaft to the front diff and shorter shaft to the rear diff.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 05:54 PM   #20
Dynamodux
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashannon81 View Post
I've read the same thing. Seems to be only on a prepped track. I can't seem to find any aftermarket driveshafts. I'll probably get with DSS to get a custom one made.

Trans will likely slip at around 650awhp, could upgrade clutches to get a bit more out of it and a xHP tune(once unlocked) would help a bit too.

Also the option of a 8hp70 swap from a diesel car in the EU. It's been done before. Just need a different crossmember, shorter front shaft to the front diff and shorter shaft to the rear diff.
Cheers for the info, I can't see myself going near that limit, although famous last words 😉
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2022, 10:28 PM   #21
rashannon81
Enlisted Member
Rep

MHD has just announced their support for the FEMTO unlock!

This is unraveling pretty quickly. I have not inquired on logging capabilites, it only states logging is there for the g80. But I don't imagine the g42 is much different. Likely haven't tested it yet or it's soon to come.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2022, 11:57 AM   #22
702MoxyBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

What I can say after owning the car for a few months is the idea of losing my warranty this early for flashing the ECU or unlocking it seems like a gamble. Further down the road, maybe I would. Right now I don't see it happening. I got a JB4 recently but haven't done the install yet. Been busy but we do have 100 octane fuel pretty readily available here I just saw.