BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

02-09-2022, 04:53 PM   #1
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Accessory Trackstar

Does anyone have any experience with "Accessory Trackstar" with BMWs? As of fairly recently, it's listed as an option in the configurator (here in the UK at least). The details state:

Quote:
Trackstar is BMW UK’s approved Stolen Vehicle Tracking supplier.

The BMW Trackstar S5 product has a unique wireless tag paired with the tracking device. If this isn’t present, the system will send an alarm to the 24/7 monitoring centre if the car is driven. The customer will receive a call to verify the situation.

This product is fully supported by all police authorities and includes European coverage as standard. Furthermore, it attracts full Thatcham S5 accreditation.

Subscription costs apply: 1 Year £168 or 3 Years £399
While I would like tracker functionality both for peace of mind and insurance purposes, this feature looks like it would kind of make the whole 'use your iPhone as a car key' feature redundant as you'd need your keys with you anyway otherwise the tracker alert would go off. I do typically have my house keys on me (not car keys though) so I'd likely have the fob on me most of the time but there are times I've forgotten and my wife forgets her keys all the time (stupid pockets on women's clothing).
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 09:50 PM   #2
NiallG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive40 Sport

If not aware - the ConnectedDrive system/app already shows the vehicles location & you can get the internal camera option to take a snapshot of whoever is driving. It doesn't do any of the 'if car is driving without a fob' type stuff though.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 09:56 PM   #3
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiallG View Post
If not aware - the ConnectedDrive system/app already shows the vehicles location & you can get the internal camera option to take a snapshot of whoever is driving. It doesn't do any of the 'if car is driving without a fob' type stuff though.
I do remember that being mentioned in some of the reviews. It seems like a superior system to the Trackstar (or equivalents) in pretty much every way, so I'm kind of surprised that BMW have recently added Trackstar as an option (it definitely wasn't there a week or two ago). Maybe there have been issues with insurers not trusting BMW's system and only wanting Thatcham compliant trackers.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 04:39 PM   #4
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiallG View Post
If not aware - the ConnectedDrive system/app already shows the vehicles location & you can get the internal camera option to take a snapshot of whoever is driving.
The problem with OEM system is that it would be the first system to get deactivated by professional car thieves. It is only useful for the amateurs or joyriders.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 11:43 AM   #5
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

I have on my X5 - the app is horrible and I often find the system fails to detect the fob and then bitches about the car being stolen etc.

Even BMW Insurance (who I'm with) wouldn't insure without a tracker, so in a way I'm glad I have it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 04:36 PM   #6
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
I have on my X5 - the app is horrible and I often find the system fails to detect the fob and then bitches about the car being stolen etc.

Even BMW Insurance (who I'm with) wouldn't insure without a tracker, so in a way I'm glad I have it.
Yeah, I guess it's a necessary option unless you go with a third party tracker but I suspect all trackers with that level of protection will need a fob.
Appreciate 0