bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

02-18-2022, 03:26 PM   #1
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Anyone Using Red Line 5w30?

Still a long wait for the M240i to arrive, but I think I've picked my oil. Curious if anyone else is using Red Line 5w30 and/or Wix XP filters? I've read nothing but good things about Royal Purple oil filters, but I don't think there's an option (yet) for this car.

Yes, I know the viscosity and rating is not blessed by the BMW gods, and I don't care.

Just curious if anyone's had anything other than perfect praise for this Group V ester base stock synthetic oil?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-22-2022, 07:53 AM   #2
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G42 m240ix, '18 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
Still a long wait for the M240i to arrive, but I think I've picked my oil. Curious if anyone else is using Red Line 5w30 and/or Wix XP filters? I've read nothing but good things about Royal Purple oil filters, but I don't think there's an option (yet) for this car.

Yes, I know the viscosity and rating is not blessed by the BMW gods, and I don't care.

Just curious if anyone's had anything other than perfect praise for this Group V ester base stock synthetic oil?
I'm running the RedLine. The filter I got from bimmerworld in the oil change kit was a Mann filter, which was made in the same country as the OEM one I removed with BMW markings. I haven't heard of those royal purple filters.

It seems like whatever oil you go with, the key to engine longevity in the turbo DI era is changing your oil sooner rather than later.
2015 VW Golf 1.8t 5-speed (sold)
2004 Chevy Cavalier (hopefully crushed by now)
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      03-07-2022, 08:23 PM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good 4 2 reasons View Post
Quote:

I'm running the RedLine. The filter I got from bimmerworld in the oil change kit was a Mann filter, which was made in the same country as the OEM one I removed with BMW markings. I haven't heard of those royal purple filters.

It seems like whatever oil you go with, the key to engine longevity in the turbo DI era is changing your oil sooner rather than later.
BMW updated their oil certs with among higher oxidation requitements a new timing chain weae test for the B48.

That redline won't pass the oxidation requirement and who knows about timing chain wear test.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
jpcoop364.00
      03-08-2022, 05:00 PM   #4
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
BMW updated their oil certs with among higher oxidation requitements a new timing chain weae test for the B48.

That redline won't pass the oxidation requirement and who knows about timing chain wear test.
Why do you say Red Line will not pass the oxidation requirement? Red Line contains a significant amount of synthetic esters that absorb at the same wavelength as organic acids, which is not oxidation, but the absorbance of the ester in the Fourier-Transform Infrared (FTIR) spectrometry testing. In other words, esters in the base stock contain oxygen, which gives a false positive for oxidation.

Actually, Red Line should have superior anti-oxidation properties as it's a Group V synthetic ester rated for aerospace use.

Last edited by XC3LLR8; 03-08-2022 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 07:33 AM   #5
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Why do you say Red Line will not pass the oxidation requirement? Red Line contains a significant amount of synthetic esters that absorb at the same wavelength as organic acids, which is not oxidation, but the absorbance of the ester in the Fourier-Transform Infrared (FTIR) spectrometry testing. In other words, esters in the base stock contain oxygen, which gives a false positive for oxidation.

Actually, Red Line should have superior anti-oxidation properties as it's a Group V synthetic ester rated for aerospace use.
Your correct about FTIR if the machina hasn't been calibrated with a virgin sample. When looking at UOAs pay attention to viscosity. An oil with esters will show a higher figure for oxidation but if the visocity has also increased you'll can attribute that to actual oxidation rather than the presence of esters.

The operating environment of aerospace is not comparable to automotive. The fuels are different, exposure to combustion byproducts are different, heat cycling is different. The OCI is based on hours rather than distance.

RL High Performance is not only Gr V. It's not possible because esters for one cause seals to swell. It's most likely an Ester/PAO blend which is similar to Ravenol RUP Racing.

If one really wants to know they can contact Redline to see if their High-Performance Series meets the latest revisions. Their Professional Series which is advertised as Gr3/PAO base does meet spec. The people at Redline are great and they will probably tell you what's going on or you can PM Edycol on this forum. He'll probably be able to explain it better.

Most if not all ester oils dropped their certs after the 2018 revision.

RL HP oils are great for track environments etc. Just shorten the OCI to 5-7k miles.

Appreciate 1
      03-09-2022, 10:35 AM   #6
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Your correct about FTIR if the machina hasn't been calibrated with a virgin sample. When looking at UOAs pay attention to viscosity. An oil with esters will show a higher figure for oxidation but if the visocity has also increased you'll can attribute that to actual oxidation rather than the presence of esters.

The operating environment of aerospace is not comparable to automotive. The fuels are different, exposure to combustion byproducts are different, heat cycling is different. The OCI is based on hours rather than distance.

RL High Performance is not only Gr V. It's not possible because esters for one cause seals to swell. It's most likely an Ester/PAO blend which is similar to Ravenol RUP Racing.

If one really wants to know they can contact Redline to see if their High-Performance Series meets the latest revisions. Their Professional Series which is advertised as Gr3/PAO base does meet spec. The people at Redline are great and they will probably tell you what's going on or you can PM Edycol on this forum. He'll probably be able to explain it better.

RL HP oils are great for track environments etc. Just shorten the OCI to 5-7k miles.
Good info - thanks.

I'm in the camp that believes absolutely any modern oil will protect an engine with 5-7k mile oil changes, but for some reason my OCD makes me want to pick the best, which I do not believe the dealership 0w20 oil to be.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 10:50 AM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good info - thanks.

I'm in the camp that believes absolutely any modern oil will protect an engine with 5-7k mile oil changes, but for some reason my OCD makes me want to pick the best, which I do not believe the dealership 0w20 oil to be.
I wouldn't be so quick to write off dealer oil. I know it's currently Castrol but te Shell product was a top notch formulation and apparently BMW still uses it outside NA..

No reaaon to assume the current Castrol product is worse.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 04:37 PM   #8
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Cool

You don’t even own this car and are already speculating about which non-BMW spec oil to run on an engine specifically designed by BMW?

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 3
jpcoop364.00
heelsmj351.00
      03-18-2022, 12:12 PM   #9
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't be so quick to write off dealer oil. I know it's currently Castrol but te Shell product was a top notch formulation and apparently BMW still uses it outside NA..

No reaaon to assume the current Castrol product is worse.
Not so much the dealer's oil, but the 0w20 viscosity is what I just can't warm-up to, especially at the insanely long OCI's they recommend.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 12:30 PM   #10
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
You don’t even own this car and are already speculating about which non-BMW spec oil to run on an engine specifically designed by BMW?
Not sure why the car needs to be sitting in my garage to consider which oil I'll use once it's delivered?

And if you believe car manufacturers are not sacrificing some level of engine protection with thin viscosity oils in exchange for CAFE ratings, then this thread is not for you. I have no doubt the OEM oil will get you through your warranty period, and beyond that you become rather insignificant to the manufacturer.

Makes one wonder why a top-tier oil distributor like Royal Purple would make such a statement...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 03:53 PM   #11
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Makes one wonder why a top-tier oil distributor like Royal Purple would make such a statement...
Because they're trying to get you to buy it? Same reason the guy selling knives on TV at 2 am says they'll never dull
Appreciate 3
      03-18-2022, 04:53 PM   #12
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoop View Post
Because they're trying to get you to buy it? Same reason the guy selling knives on TV at 2 am says they'll never dull
You're saying higher levels of zinc and phosphorus (essentially a full SAPS oil) does not provide increased engine protection, and motor oils engineered for protection over fuel economy is really snake oil?

There's only 58 cents difference between Royal Purple's "regular" oil and their HPS. I'd say if anyone's doing the 2 a.m. knives-that-never-dull routine it's the dealerships pushing their house brand.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 05:25 PM   #13
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

I’m saying I’m not a chemical engineer, I’m gonna put in it what they say to put in it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 06:10 PM   #14
E63M6_G42M240i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 TR G80 M3CX

How about Amsoil?
Appreciate 1
Mike_H_264.50
      08-21-2022, 06:17 PM   #15
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E63M6_G42M240i View Post
How about Amsoil?
Car finally came in and I'll change the oil in the next couple weeks before a road trip to AZ, but I decided to go with Castrol 5w30 Euro Formula. I like the 5 qt. size, considerably cheaper, and a little easier to obtain. The Red Line is probably superior, but likely overkill for a car that's never tracked.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 08:13 AM   #16
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Car finally came in and I'll change the oil in the next couple weeks before a road trip to AZ, but I decided to go with Castrol 5w30 Euro Formula. I like the 5 qt. size, considerably cheaper, and a little easier to obtain. The Red Line is probably superior, but likely overkill for a car that's never tracked.
The proper oil viscosity is or should be listed on a label in the engine compartment. Too much work to walk to my car to check. But I called up my digital owners manual on my iPad and the owners manual lists 0w-20 oil as the oil to use.

Why you would use 5w-30 oil is beyond me.

I recall some years ago some Porsche owners thought the 0w-40 oil was too "thin" and switched to 5w-40 oil. Which was an approved oil but only for temperatures above -25C (-17F). But some owners failed to consider that and engine damage from lack of adequate lubrication at cold start was the result.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 08:30 AM   #17
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Quote:
The proper oil viscosity is or should be listed on a label in the engine compartment. Too much work to walk to my car to check. But I called up my digital owners manual on my iPad and the owners manual lists 0w-20 oil as the oil to use.

I recall some years ago some Porsche owners thought the 0w-40 oil was too "thin" and switched to 5w-40 oil. Which was an approved oil but only for temperatures above -25C (-17F). But some owners failed to consider that and engine damage from lack of adequate lubrication at cold start was the result.
If it's beyond you then I have nothing else to offer.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 07:26 AM   #18
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
If it's beyond you then I have nothing else to offer.
Well, I have this...

You can use any reason to deviate from the oil the factory recommends. Any reason. And any and all are equal. And they are all equally bad/wrong.

The engine maker is the only authority on what oil to use in its engines.
Appreciate 4
DrJLag420799.00
jpcoop364.00
335i E92176.50
      01-09-2023, 08:04 PM   #19
Saturns
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42,570GT,Lp5704STS,F36,F34

Garage List
Actually this is a great conversation. Even though the manual states 0w-20 that oil is very thin and for more fuel efficiency. Doesn't really do a good job with wear and tear long term.

In all the other high performance sports cars and exotic cars(NA engines v8 or v10) 5w40 is used. So I typically use Motol type race oil for performance.

Does these new turbo 6 cylinder need 0w-20. How does 0w-20 perform over 5w40 on hot summer days?

Any experienced guys or engineers chime in?

https://www.motorstate.com/oilviscosity-htm/
Appreciate 1
wb8164128.50
      01-09-2023, 08:15 PM   #20
Saturns
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42,570GT,Lp5704STS,F36,F34

Garage List
Quote:

5w30 - -35C(-31F) to 35C(95F)

0W20 is an excellent winter viscosity grade oil that provides superior engine performance and a smooth oil flow. Its thinner oil structure makes it ideal for cold starts and below-freezing temperatures.
But wouldnt that be limiting for summer temperatures. If I lived in hot climates I would worry with 0w20

I would use 0w40 (like in my mclaren) or even 5w40 ...

https://www.motorstate.com/oilviscosity-htm/

thoughts anyone?

Last edited by Saturns; 01-09-2023 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 08:40 PM   #21
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Well, I have this...

You can use any reason to deviate from the oil the factory recommends. Any reason. And any and all are equal. And they are all equally bad/wrong.

The engine maker is the only authority on what oil to use in its engines.
Oh goodness, another oil thread...these are perpetual.
Me I've always had a problem with "the authorities".

But it seems like they (BMW) tend to often change their mind about what to spec...for the identical engine. Case in point, the 2022 Euro version specs a wider oil range spec than does the 2022 US spec. Same engine (M240x)...then in 2023 the US oil spec for the identical engine changed again.

Me i ran a high quality 5-30 (Castrol Euro spec) for a specific reason...track duty...my call, my choice. Run whatever ya want, i could care less and ain't gonna tell ya what to do.
Appreciate 2
Saturns170.50
XC3LLR82062.50
      01-10-2023, 08:42 AM   #22
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
Oh goodness, another oil thread...these are perpetual.
Me I've always had a problem with "the authorities".

But it seems like they (BMW) tend to often change their mind about what to spec...for the identical engine. Case in point, the 2022 Euro version specs a wider oil range spec than does the 2022 US spec. Same engine (M240x)...then in 2023 the US oil spec for the identical engine changed again.

Me i ran a high quality 5-30 (Castrol Euro spec) for a specific reason...track duty...my call, my choice. Run whatever ya want, i could care less and ain't gonna tell ya what to do.
I'm running the same oil, ordering from Amazon. So far I'm very happy with it.
Appreciate 0