E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > pam and Bounty for bug protection?

12-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Roentgen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 335i Jet Black

pam and Bounty for bug protection?

Local detailer is telling me that wiping front fascia with Pam or Bounty dry sheet is good for trips to reduce number of stuck bugs....damn florida love bugs drive me nuts. Is this common practice? any down side?

J
      12-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
zaxjax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
I've heard of using both but why not just add another coat of wax to the area. Spray wax like Duragloss Aquawax is cheap and very durable.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

We'd use about a can of Pam on my buddy's track quad racer, and then just hose the mud off after the races. It's different than a coat of wax, in that it sheets the contaminants off a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
Icedog_16
No Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

How are you having problems with lovebugs now? They only fly in April-May and August-September. The key is to drive when they're least active, have a good wax job, and get them off the car at your earliest opportunity. Personally, I have a clear bra, which helps a bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Roentgen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 335i Jet Black

love bugs are out of season and my question is more for summer time...but I drove 500miles on interstate last week and found quite a few bugs. Just researching options for staying ahead of the game and quick removal. I may look into clear bra but havent seen one for 2009 335 e90. Good wax job was kind of assumed....
      12-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

I suggest staying far away from this "detailer" unless you like oily paint.
      12-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
Icedog_16
No Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roentgen View Post
love bugs are out of season and my question is more for summer time...but I drove 500miles on interstate last week and found quite a few bugs. Just researching options for staying ahead of the game and quick removal. I may look into clear bra but havent seen one for 2009 335 e90. Good wax job was kind of assumed....
Gotcha! Still, there really is no miracle cure. Just get 'em off as soon as you can. UF agrees (seeing as you're from Gainesville):
Quote:
There are several things that can be done to lessen the problem facing motorists. By traveling at night motorists can avoid the insects; lovebugs reach peak activity at 10:00 am and stop flying at dusk. Traveling at slower speeds will reduce the number of bugs that will be spattered. A large screen placed in the front of the grill will keep the radiator fins from clogging, and will protect the finish on the front of the car. If a large screen is not used in front of the grill, at least place a small screen behind the grill in front of the radiator.

Spattered bugs should be washed off the car as soon as possible. Lovebugs are more easily removed, and the chance of damaging the car's finish is lessened if the car has been waxed recently. When the remains are left on an unwaxed car for several days, the finish will often be permanently damaged. Soaking for several minutes with water aids in their removal. When lovebugs are numerous, some motorists spread a light film of baby oil over the front of the hood, above the windshield and on the grill and bumper. This practice will make their removal a simpler task.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG068
However, despite their recommendation, I'd rather not oil up my car as I think the cure may be more difficult to remove than the original problem.

I'd assume that clearbras will be available soon. All that is needed is the plotter pattern. I have a friend in Wesley Chapel who does them.

Edit: He already has the patterns. www.autopaintguard.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 0