Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

03-17-2022, 10:32 AM   #1
Etmaniac
Rep
Drives: iX 4.0

Public charging issues

Does anybody have any issue with public charging? Often the public charging station will not start and gives sync issues. Home charging always works. I doubt it is the different public charging stations as this happens a lot, other car seem not to be having this issue.

Just wanted to check before I head over to BMW.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 02:35 PM   #2
grueber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50 2023

I see a fair number of complaints about non-Tesla EV charging stations not working. I would be nervous relying on a single fast charger if I was making a long-distance trip. Level 2 destination chargers are more common and usually work.

I'm still going to keep a gas vehicle at my house for longer trips. My ix is going to be my daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 04:29 PM   #3
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etmaniac View Post
Does anybody have any issue with public charging? Often the public charging station will not start and gives sync issues. Home charging always works. I doubt it is the different public charging stations as this happens a lot, other car seem not to be having this issue.

Just wanted to check before I head over to BMW.

thanks
On my current X5 PHEV it's the opposite - the home charger (level 1 that came with the car) has frequent issues but public charging is virtually flawless.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 05:00 PM   #4
NiallG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive40 Sport

I've not had any issues yet on my iX with charging not starting - but have only used public fast DC chargers a few times (mainly using a home charger). The 3rd party ones we use have their own App, so you can check both on the charging companies App and on your BMW App to ensure charging is actually started & it's progress.
Appreciate 0