BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-02-2022, 09:24 PM   #1
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Brake Fluid - Is it needed now? If so, how?

I purchased a used 19 G05 x50i (not M50i)
Low mileage, under 8K to be exact.

Today got a message on the car that my brake fluid needs to be changed. It said April 2022 or 7000 miles.

So, question is, do I need to worry about brake fluid or can I hold off due to low mileage on the car?

If so, any instructions on what is needed and how it is done to avoid a trip to the dealership?

Or, can I go to an auto shop to get this done, or it has to be done by BMW itself due to specific parts or fluid?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 07:53 AM   #2
haggis444
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Garage List
Brake fluid doesn't really break down, but rather it collects moisture (water) which causes it to be less effective. So time is more of a factor than mileage as to when to flush it. And yes in theory if you live in Phoenix vs Seattle then timing of when to change would be different. I have a meter that you can dip into the reservoir to check the moisture, you might be able to stop by an auto parts store they might have one you can use or you can just follow the recommendation and get it changed.

It's one of the easiest maintenance items to do yourself, and there are pumps or vacuums that make it easy, if you have 2 people you can do it without any specialized tools. Tons of videos on YouTube. My best advise is to make sure you have the correct bleeder valve wrench so you don't strip it. A spanner (or open ended wrench works) works but I have one that is a line/flare nut wrench that contacts more of the valve. And if you want to do it yourself you need a pump or vacuum, but if you have a helper they can simply push the brake to bleed it. With all that said, even though it's easy you clearly don't want to mess up your braking system. Any indy shop can do this. I would not go to any quick-lube or tire place to do it--but that goes for any maintenance IMHO.

And no, it's not really specialized fluid. Any good synthetic DOT approved brake fluid will work. I know on my F10 it takes DOT4, my G05 is so new I have not looked to see what it takes. It's labeled clearly on the cap of the reservoir. There are some that are colored differently so you know when you have flushed the old completely. I have not tried that yet.
Appreciate 2
eagle_bmw182.50
floop20.00
      04-04-2022, 08:57 AM   #3
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Tha k you for all your help
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 11:53 PM   #4
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Does anybody know how to clear the service need message in My BMW app for say a DIY brake fluid flush or oil change? I did mine and was able to reset in diagnostic mode but the message in the app is still there.
—-
Edit: The app finally updated on the 2nd day with the next brake fluid service due in 2 years.