bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-14-2022, 12:06 AM   #1
702MoxyBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i purple

Honest Tune question for the future

Will we actually crack this DME/ECU for the new model cars? I think so but man they are doing so much to track everything we do. This engine is meant to be upgraded and go fast! What say you? Thoughts on this key important question for the B58 community.
      04-14-2022, 09:45 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2022, 03:52 PM   #3
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Dunno. I feel like "382" horsepower is more than enough on these cars. BMW already underrates them from factory. If you wanna go faster, might as well do it right and splurge for an M2. It's not like anyone getting their hands on this car isn't spending $50,000+. Otherwise you're going to be falling down the black hole that is performance upgrades to manage the increased horsepower. Wider wheels, better tires, coilovers, etc, etc. and end up where an M2 costs.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2022, 04:02 PM   #4
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

I think this car is going to be like the S2000, fun to drive as is, mods not necessary.
Appreciate 1
Caerus531.50
      04-14-2022, 04:28 PM   #5
702MoxyBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
Dunno. I feel like "382" horsepower is more than enough on these cars. BMW already underrates them from factory. If you wanna go faster, might as well do it right and splurge for an M2. It's not like anyone getting their hands on this car isn't spending $50,000+. Otherwise you're going to be falling down the black hole that is performance upgrades to manage the increased horsepower. Wider wheels, better tires, coilovers, etc, etc. and end up where an M2 costs.
This is probably the best response. I was going to buy an M2 comp but they wouldn't let me order one back in June so this was the next alternate option. Actually, I almost bought a 3.0 supra several times and got sick of the asking prices for those with older tech than this car. I might trade this in for an M2 but it would have to really make sense.
      04-24-2022, 10:37 PM   #6
onderyetiskin
Private
Rep
Drives: 230i

you can check new nissan z, supra over prices. or keep m240i and just add simple jb4 and add 80 hp. this car enough power.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 05:04 PM   #7
702MoxyBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I think the idea of getting a tune is just like my old 335i. You can get it at 300hp or get it at 400hp fairly simple. Its not going to kill the car honestly but it will feel drastically different and more fun.
      04-25-2022, 06:19 PM   #8
JDM_240
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i (Thundernight)

Quote:
Yea but the M2 is RWD only.

This engine will sit very happy at 500-550 without needing much. Jb4 will get you mid 400s. Add some better breathing supplies and some new shoes and you can handle.

I’m into it for mss springs for 1k, intake for 500, exhaust will be 1.8-3k, wheels another 3k, high flow dp 1.5k and the tune
Appreciate 2
      05-02-2022, 12:09 AM   #9
702MoxyBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I think for this car I will keep things conservative with the tune and upgrades. Now if I get another track car than it will be a different animal completely but to others, I get it for sure. I might get the M2 possibly in a year or two Who knows.
      05-02-2022, 10:24 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
A simple tune with basic bolt-ons will make the car a lot more fun to drive (its already fun, I know, but more fun is always better )

Won't cost much and does not decrease reliability

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 02:03 PM   #11
hutchsoclutch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i XDrive

Speaking of reliability… has anyone had experience with Carbahn tunes? My salesman just had one installed on his M240i and sent me a video. Only other mod he has is a high flow cat. It rips. I'm going to drive it on Wednesday.

I may just be a copy cat and add a Dinan CAI on top just for grins and under-hood sounds and sex appeal. What I am curious about is Carbahn's "factory match" warranty that in spirit would cover anything that BMW declines as a result of the tune. Reading the fine print doesn't give me much confidence though… they can obviously decline anything which means their reputation is everything here. Anyone have experience in this department?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 04:57 PM   #12
bmwman4life11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 s1000rr/ 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchsoclutch View Post
Speaking of reliability… has anyone had experience with Carbahn tunes? My salesman just had one installed on his M240i and sent me a video. Only other mod he has is a high flow cat. It rips. I'm going to drive it on Wednesday.

I may just be a copy cat and add a Dinan CAI on top just for grins and under-hood sounds and sex appeal. What I am curious about is Carbahn's "factory match" warranty that in spirit would cover anything that BMW declines as a result of the tune. Reading the fine print doesn't give me much confidence though… they can obviously decline anything which means their reputation is everything here. Anyone have experience in this department?

I do have some experience with Carbahn, my '22 m240 was actually their test car for their tune. They are a pretty new company but Steve Dinan runs it, he used to run the performance company Dinan which most people know him from.

I do love the tune on my car, my mpg has gone up( which was a surprise), and obviously, the performance has gone up too. I like how there is an app and you can change the tune on the fly. I feel like the mid-range is much better versus stock.

I don't have any experience with the warranty matching stuff. But I did get it, I spoke with their GM regarding how it works and he was saying that if BMW has an issue with the parts they installed, so the tune, in this case, they would write a blank check. This is just words though so I hope I never have to deal with that.

The Dinan CAI is so worth it for the sound alone. You can hear the turbo spooling from in and out of the car now, it's very audible. Plus a little carbon in the engine bay never hurts.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2022, 05:02 PM   #13
mzimand
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

I am coming from a 2020 Porsche GT4 and still have a 997 911. This car will never be a GT4 but unless you are using it for drag racing it does not need anymore power. I am blown way by the power delivery of the m240i and am having a blast driving the same great roads I drove the GT4 on. I do not think that more power will make this car anymore fun in the canyons or mountains (I live in socal and have access to some great roads). The braking is where this car is lacking. Improve the brakes and the car would be something really special. Don’t get me wrong for under $60k you getting allot of car. I am loving everything about this car and was planning on getting another Porsche to replace the GT4 but right now I have no need to get anything because the m240i is still putting a huge smile on my face with each drive. Even my friends that are the “Porsche or nothing” types are amazed by it.

I had a 2017 c63s as a daily and can say that the m240i is a better car in every way. There is no way this car only has 382hp. It pulls harder then the GT4 and the 997 911 feels slow compared to it.

This was supposed to be a car to use for a few months until I could find another sports car but I cannot find anything for under $100k that compares to it. Maybe when the M2 comes out I will consider getting that. But I seriously doubt it. The multiple personalities of the m240i is hard to beat.
Appreciate 8
      05-09-2022, 12:46 PM   #14
702MoxyBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwman4life11 View Post
I do have some experience with Carbahn, my '22 m240 was actually their test car for their tune. They are a pretty new company but Steve Dinan runs it, he used to run the performance company Dinan which most people know him from.

I do love the tune on my car, my mpg has gone up( which was a surprise), and obviously, the performance has gone up too. I like how there is an app and you can change the tune on the fly. I feel like the mid-range is much better versus stock.

I don't have any experience with the warranty matching stuff. But I did get it, I spoke with their GM regarding how it works and he was saying that if BMW has an issue with the parts they installed, so the tune, in this case, they would write a blank check. This is just words though so I hope I never have to deal with that.

The Dinan CAI is so worth it for the sound alone. You can hear the turbo spooling from in and out of the car now, it's very audible. Plus a little carbon in the engine bay never hurts.
I had a nice 335i with the Dinan 3 badging back in 2009. I went with it due to the dealer doing the install at the time. It was a great car. I would definitely consider this. I am curious how he got around tuning the ECU/DME for the car. any thoughts on this?
      05-09-2022, 04:24 PM   #15
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

I think it's a piggyback tune like the Burger JB4
So no ECU modification.
      05-09-2022, 07:00 PM   #16
Frequencyz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m240i

I'm really curious how accurate carbahns power gain claims are. And how much higher I would expect to get with an intake and high flow catted DP. I've told my self I was going to avoid piggyback tuners, but if it's warrantied, Might as well try it?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 10:43 PM   #17
idontsave
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequencyz View Post
I'm really curious how accurate carbahns power gain claims are. And how much higher I would expect to get with an intake and high flow catted DP. I've told my self I was going to avoid piggyback tuners, but if it's warrantied, Might as well try it?
I was in the exact same boat, but it sure is tempting considering the warrantee coverage.
      05-10-2022, 10:21 AM   #18
Frequencyz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Do you feel like you have ~90 more HP and ~120lb/ft more power?
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2022, 02:38 PM   #19
hutchsoclutch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i XDrive

Thanks for the great feedback! I know Steve Dinan is pretty reputable and I've always liked the OEM+ approach when it comes to modding cars.

mzimand that's awesome to hear from a Porsche guy. My intent with this car was an all-in-one performance car that didn't break the bank or compromise on everyday drive-ability. It needed to be serious fun on the backroads, rip at highway speeds, and soak up rough roads on my commute. I wrote it off because of looks and weight at first (arguably the only two real criticisms) but everyone has had overwhelmingly positive things to say about it and thus far I haven't heard of any major weak-points or design flaws.

Bummed my order got pushed to MY23 production but hey… more time to wait for the aftermarket to develop a sweet cat-back😏
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 09:34 PM   #20
Frequencyz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Gonna give the carbahn piggyback a shot, I'll have before and after dyno results for y'all.
Appreciate 9
      05-13-2022, 09:33 PM   #21
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

How do you all think the carbahn one compares to the new Dinantronics X piggyback tune? Seems to have a lot of similar features for a lot less money.

https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D440-0153
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 08:38 AM   #22
Brett_C_F30_G42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
Quote:

It says on the Carbahn website that with 93 octane you can get up to 471 flywheel horsepower. It also says that "The CPC is a plug and play ECU that increases boost pressure in turbocharged cars to dramatically increase HP and Torque."

So is it a chiptune or an actual replacement ECU? Also doubt the 471 number so if anyone has done it can you share your gains or experience? Thanks!

Last edited by Brett_C_F30_G42; 05-17-2022 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0