BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

04-27-2022, 11:05 AM   #1
machop
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

question on preordering IX

my local dealer is asking a deposit.

Want to ask those who put deposit for ix, is this deposit refundable in your case? If production delay too long, customer decided to go for another vehicle, etc.

Update: I realized I used wrong word, what I am asking is if you are ordering now, you need put down a deposit.

Last edited by machop; 04-27-2022 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: correct wrong wording
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
smiley47
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80,

Quote:
Originally Posted by machop View Post
my local dealer is asking a deposit.

Want to ask those who did preorder, is this deposit refundable in your case? If production delay too long, customer decided to go for another vehicle, etc.
Mine was a $1000 fully refundable deposit.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 11:48 AM   #3
machop
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley47 View Post
Mine was a $1000 fully refundable deposit.
Good to know, thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 12:12 PM   #4
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Preorders closed the end of last year but for those who did preorder, the deposit amount was $1,500. The preorder process was handled directly on BMW's web site, not through a local dealership. BMW then assigns these preorders to the nearest dealership.

Anyone ordering an iX since preorders closed is likely getting a preorder slot that was canceled by the original person who changed their mind and got their deposit back. I was told all 2022 orders are filled so dealers taking new orders are doing so for 2023 models or for someone who backed out of their preorder. If you are are getting a 2023 be prepared for a long wait regardless of what your dealer tells you.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 12:26 PM   #5
q_e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW ix XDrive 50

Unfortunately if you are ordering iX now, you are at the mercy of your SA / Dealer. Lot of the dealers are offering early deliveries if you are ready to pay over the MSRP. So even if your turn comes, the dealer can allocate that to someone else if they are ready to premium. This is the risk you need to take if you want buy from any of the legacy car companies which have the dealership model.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 01:14 PM   #6
machop
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by q_e View Post
Unfortunately if you are ordering iX now, you are at the mercy of your SA / Dealer. Lot of the dealers are offering early deliveries if you are ready to pay over the MSRP. So even if your turn comes, the dealer can allocate that to someone else if they are ready to premium. This is the risk you need to take if you want buy from any of the legacy car companies which have the dealership model.
Consumer is no longer having upper hand, sadly in this environment, I had horrible experience last year with home builder, now this. Sigh
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 10:16 AM   #7
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Are you speaking from experience or with first hand conversation with a BMW dealer? When I ordered through my local dealer, I received a build sheet and was told there would be no markup. The only build spots being "sold" with a markup are cancellations that are about to go into production. The dealer basically contacts everyone else on the list and whoever is the first to agree to pay the premium gets it.

In this scenario the customer is receiving something of value: An earlier build slot. Charging a markup after being told no markup, especially after being given a build order in writing sans markup, would be considered bait-and-switch and is likely illegal.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13714.50
      04-28-2022, 11:11 AM   #8
q_e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW ix XDrive 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
Are you speaking from experience or with first hand conversation with a BMW dealer?
This is based on the experience with SA I am working with for my iX order. He is not ready to give out any details like how many people are in the queue nor how many allocations the dealer is getting. Without these details, there is no way to guesstimate when we can expect the order or if they are placing someone else above me.

When enquired about the test drives, this is the response I got on 04/22.
Quote:
Sorry, no info on test driving or seeing the car as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 03:15 PM   #9
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
This is based on the experience with SA I am working with for my iX order. He is not ready to give out any details like how many people are in the queue nor how many allocations the dealer is getting. Without these details, there is no way to guesstimate when we can expect the order or if they are placing someone else above me.

When enquired about the test drives, this is the response I got on 04/22.
I'm sorry that is happening to you! My experience with my local dealer has been different. He reached out to me a few weeks ago to let me know he had a car to drive. We test drove it and gave him a build code from the configurator. He processed the order, sent me confirmation, and we are just waiting for a production number.

He said there are 12 M60s on order at his dealership. He said he spoke with a regional BMW rep who told him the M60s were being prioritized over the 50s and I'd have my build code in the next 30-60 days with delivery in the fall. Personally I don't believe any of it because it sounds too optimistic and runs contrary to what I'm reading in the forums.

I guess we shall see!
Appreciate 2
Paladin15640.00
BigHunk269.50