BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum DIY Discussions / Guides / Instructions How to remove overhead grab handle?

05-14-2022, 03:24 PM   #1
starkraven
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i G30

How to remove overhead grab handle?

I bought this sunglasses holder to replace my driver-side overhead grab handle, but I cannot figure out how to remove the panels that cover the screws. There are a couple of videos on YouTube that make it look easy. This one is the best example.

Does anyone have any tips? In that video, the guy uses a tool that I don't have. Is anyone familiar with it? Here's a screenshot of the tool.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 06:57 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkraven View Post
I bought this sunglasses holder to replace my driver-side overhead grab handle, but I cannot figure out how to remove the panels that cover the screws. There are a couple of videos on YouTube that make it look easy. This one is the best example.

Does anyone have any tips? In that video, the guy uses a tool that I don't have. Is anyone familiar with it? Here's a screenshot of the tool.
I have a screwdriver just like that!! Though I didn't buy it that way
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 07:36 PM   #3
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Quote:

Quote:

Order a pick set n Amazon. Or use a small flat heat screwdriver. Get behind the cover and pull it off.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 08:51 AM   #4
MrLatte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Does it fit a G30?

Can't find a site that list it as compatible but common sense says it should fit.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 11:02 PM   #5
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

I installed these in my G30 with no problems. Most sunglasses will fit. The really big Elton John style lenses will be a bit bulky.
Appreciate 1
MrLatte189.00