Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

05-25-2022, 05:22 PM   #1
tuffcalc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 992 Turbo S

"D" vs "B" drive mode - does B use full regen?

I only got to test drive an iX for a short period.

When in B mode, is regen at it's highest level, regardless of what is input in the settings (I think it was low, medium, high and auto if I remember correctly)?

Also, when you press the brake pedal does the iX computer decide whether to use regen or the actual brakes like Audi E-tron/Porsche Taycan ... or is it like Tesla where when you press the brakes there is no regen?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 09:01 PM   #2
asrgt
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
You are correct in that when the car is in the B drive mode it is always at maximum regeneration regardless of settings selected in iDrive.

B mode is BMWs one pedal drive mode and the car will come to a complete stop and hold ( no creep ) when in this mode.

The normal D position will take into account personal settings for High, medium, low & Auto however the car will not come to a complete stop without the use of friction brakes in this mode.

In terms of regen when using the brake pedal my understanding is it is a blended system.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004039.00
      05-26-2022, 08:35 AM   #3
tuffcalc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 992 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrgt View Post
You are correct in that when the car is in the B drive mode it is always at maximum regeneration regardless of settings selected in iDrive.

B mode is BMWs one pedal drive mode and the car will come to a complete stop and hold ( no creep ) when in this mode.

The normal D position will take into account personal settings for High, medium, low & Auto however the car will not come to a complete stop without the use of friction brakes in this mode.

In terms of regen when using the brake pedal my understanding is it is a blended system.
Appreciate the reply.

This is the exact same way the Q4 E-tron works (which also has D/B modes). I wonder if Audi/BMW are sourcing this tech from the same spot.

Anyway - glad to hear this. My current E-Tron does not allow one pedal driving at all so this will be a welcome addition when my iX arrives.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 09:38 AM   #4
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

What are people pronominally using - D or B mode?

If you apply the brakes in D mode, is it utilizing any regen? Wondering how much more "efficient" B mode is.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 10:19 AM   #5
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor488 View Post

If you apply the brakes in D mode, is it utilizing any regen? Wondering how much more "efficient" B mode is.
Yes, D regens when you press brakes. I *think* Tesla is the only one that doesn't but they're pretty much married to one pedal driving right now.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004039.00
      09-13-2022, 10:21 AM   #6
svenbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor488 View Post

I always use B mode. I did try adaptive in D mode but I want to have full control over the braking power and perform the same way every time. D mode in adaptive is the most efficient as the system is tuned to make it efficient
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004039.00
      09-13-2022, 10:25 AM   #7
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
The thing about D with adaptive is you can drive the car just like any other car. Hit the brake and you're doing regen. It just as this added nice thing where it increases "drag" when there's a car in front of you so you can coast, but you don't have to let it brake. Just drive like normal.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004039.00
      09-13-2022, 10:47 AM   #8
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Right now I am liking D mode better.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 01:32 PM   #9
Zinedine
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40

About driving in B mode, how do the brake lights function?

When/how does it decide to illuminate brake lights so the car behind me is aware if I'm "braking" or not

I prefer driving in B but for safety reaso ive been sticki to D, I'm afraid in B mode, it'll confuse the drivers behind me depending on what's happening with brake lights.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 01:35 PM   #10
Louis_BE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

D with adaptive regen, I think it’s the most effective way as you can coast easily without being exact on the throttle … on the highway I coast a lot, and I easily get 20-21kWh/100km with speeds up to 125km/h when possible …
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 01:39 PM   #11
Plony
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinedine View Post

When/how does it decide to illuminate brake lights so the car behind me is aware if I'm "braking" or not

I prefer driving in B but for safety reaso ive been sticki to D, I'm afraid in B mode, it'll confuse the drivers behind me depending on what's happening with brake lights.
From the iX manual:
"Depending on the intensity of the deceleration,the brake lights illuminate, without the brake pedal being applied."
Appreciate 3
      09-13-2022, 01:45 PM   #12
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinedine View Post

Don't be afraid. These all seem to work about the same, a small amount of regen doesn't use brake lights but a significant amount does.

Even on existing ICE cars, braking by simply lifting off the accelerator or shifting gears is common, especially on manual cars. The behavior of EVs doing regen is not much different, if you're slowing at a fast enough rate that it's noticeable the brake lights come on.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004039.00
      09-13-2022, 02:08 PM   #13
Zinedine
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plony View Post
From the iX manual:
"Depending on the intensity of the deceleration,the brake lights illuminate, without the brake pedal being applied."
Thanks for this! Didn't cross my mind to read the manual about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Don't be afraid. These all seem to work about the same, a small amount of regen doesn't use brake lights but a significant amount does.

Even on existing ICE cars, braking by simply lifting off the accelerator or shifting gears is common, especially on manual cars. The behavior of EVs doing regen is not much different, if you're slowing at a fast enough rate that it's noticeable the brake lights come on.
Good point about ICE cars and downshifting.
I'll give it a go and try to get comfortable with it. It's actually convenient at times.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 02:59 PM   #14
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis_BE View Post
D with adaptive regen, I think it’s the most effective way as you can coast easily without being exact on the throttle … on the highway I coast a lot, and I easily get 20-21kWh/100km with speeds up to 125km/h when possible …
One's appreciation for one pedal driving will depend on their typical commute and how they drive. I for one do not like it one bit and will much prefer using adaptive regen in D mode, and if that doesn't work, set the regen to the lowest possible or off to control it all with the brake pedal.

Surely one gets used to one pedal driving eventually, but I do not feel it is a better way to control the car.

Adaptive worked well in my test drives. Seemed to correctly use some regen when needed and allowed me to coast otherwise. I like that the brake pedal blends regen and brakes and it felt well calibrated to me. The Tesla way of making the brake pedal only action the friction brakes is not good IMHO.
Appreciate 2
deutsch1004039.00
Louis_BE376.50
      09-16-2022, 07:44 PM   #15
kshatzka
Longtime BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I actually use both - when on highway, I use D with Adaptive because of the coasting functions. It’s really a relaxing drive. When off highway, I use B for the simplicity of one pedal driving. It’s just a matter of getting used to how fast you lift your foot off the pedal, because it can brake too hard and feel jerky if you don’t slowly lift your foot (and if too slow, it doesn’t stop in time)
Appreciate 2
      09-16-2022, 11:22 PM   #16
ricerboi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i, G30 M550i, iX 50i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX 50i  [7.50]
I'm on B all the time except for long road trips where D is better for efficiency.

I've had an issue in B though the last week or so with "ghost acceleration" when I'm at low speeds (<20mph) and I let off the accelerator and it lunges forward when it's supposed to pull back/stop. I hit the brakes right away but it could have been bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 11:51 PM   #17
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshatzka View Post
I actually use both - when on highway, I use D with Adaptive because of the coasting functions. It’s really a relaxing drive. When off highway, I use B for the simplicity of one pedal driving. It’s just a matter of getting used to how fast you lift your foot off the pedal, because it can brake too hard and feel jerky if you don’t slowly lift your foot (and if too slow, it doesn’t stop in time)
This is kind of what I do. On the freeway I use low regen and D. City driving I use B. Best of both!! I have been driving EV since about 2017, so I feel I am a master 1 pedal driver and have gotten it so smooth and seamless!!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 10:34 AM   #18
Vater
Rep
Drives: iX xdrive50

Any considerations when switching between D and B while in motion? I always switch while at a full stop. Any reason to be mindful of this - I think I'm just being overly cautious about any systems that might not like engaging on the fly.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 10:37 AM   #19
q_e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW ix XDrive 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vater View Post
Any considerations when switching between D and B while in motion? I always switch while at a full stop. Any reason to be mindful of this - I think I'm just being overly cautious about any systems that might not like engaging on the fly.
I did change during the drive between D and B modes but never had any issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 10:46 AM   #20
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vater View Post
You can switch it on the fly without issue. Did it on my test drives while cruising and felt nothing.

Obviously if you are coasting in D mode with your foot completely off the accelerator pedal and then switch it to B mode, it may cause a bit of a jerky deceleration as it switches to using full regen. I didn't test this myself so perhaps the system will gradually apply the regen instead in this situation.

And if you are in the middle of using regen braking in B mode and switch to D, it may release the braking (to favor coasting)in a jerky way.

That is the worst case scenario. So nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 2
ricerboi891.50
deutsch1004039.00
      09-26-2022, 06:40 PM   #21
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

What is weird is if you are in D mode and say driving down the street using the go pedal, and you keep your foot on the go pedal but change from D to B mode....the iX (and i4) slows the car down. Is is doing regen braking, even though the go pedal is still being pressed upon? Strange to me.
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2524.50
      09-26-2022, 06:45 PM   #22
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch100 View Post
What is weird is if you are in D mode and say driving down the street using the go pedal, and you keep your foot on the go pedal but change from D to B mode....the iX (and i4) slows the car down. Is is doing regen braking, even though the go pedal is still being pressed upon? Strange to me.
If it's like my other cars, the throttle mapping is different between D and B, because a light press on B is supposed to be in the braking range. With one pedal driving the "coast" is somewhere mid throttle.

So a light press in D mode that keeps your speed may very well be a deceleration in B mode and you have to readjust to the one pedal mapping that includes a throttle range for braking.

Also on my e-tron I know eco mode has a different throttle map vs sport. You really have to floor it in eco to accelerate but a light press is all that's needed in sport. Same idea with D vs B.
Appreciate 3
deutsch1004039.00
ggalanis2524.50
Paladin15629.50