bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-12-2023, 12:37 PM   #1
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

AA DP @ Mid-Pipe Air Leak

Installed the Active Autowerke DP the other day and for those that have done this know there's a slit in the mid-pipe that allows for some expansion for the DP to slide into. It's not visible under normal circumstances while under the car since the clamp conceals it.

I had a hell of a time getting the OEM DP out as it was tightly wedged into the mid-pipe and had to use a screwdriver to slightly pry the slit apart a little to wiggle the DP out. I also think the AA DP does not extend fully past the slit in the mid-pipe, thus leaving a very small gap for air to leak.

After install I started the car and crawled back under to feel for leaks and the DP to turbo felt good, but I could feel (and hear) air coming from the DP to mid-pipe. After the car warms-up for about 10-15 seconds and the idle drops a little, I no longer hear the air pump sound.

I'm thinking about taking the car to my trusted muffler shop and having them do a proper weld. I know in the past with previous cars the muffler shop has told me they hate clamps as they will almost always leak.

Anyone else weld your mid-pipe to your DP? I'm about to leave on a 2,500 mile road trip and may wait until I return just to make sure there's no CEL's before having anything welded.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 07:49 PM   #2
M240SLC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
Installed the Active Autowerke DP the other day and for those that have done this know there's a slit in the mid-pipe that allows for some expansion for the DP to slide into. It's not visible under normal circumstances while under the car since the clamp conceals it.

I had a hell of a time getting the OEM DP out as it was tightly wedged into the mid-pipe and had to use a screwdriver to slightly pry the slit apart a little to wiggle the DP out. I also think the AA DP does not extend fully past the slit in the mid-pipe, thus leaving a very small gap for air to leak.

After install I started the car and crawled back under to feel for leaks and the DP to turbo felt good, but I could feel (and hear) air coming from the DP to mid-pipe. After the car warms-up for about 10-15 seconds and the idle drops a little, I no longer hear the air pump sound.

I'm thinking about taking the car to my trusted muffler shop and having them do a proper weld. I know in the past with previous cars the muffler shop has told me they hate clamps as they will almost always leak.

Anyone else weld your mid-pipe to your DP? I'm about to leave on a 2,500 mile road trip and may wait until I return just to make sure there's no CEL's before having anything welded.
I haven't taken the DP leap yet, but I agree with your intuition to wait until after your trip to possibly weld it. That'll let it break in a bit, too...and as you said, see if any CEL gremlins pop up.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 10:42 PM   #3
Tryboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 330

I just removed the OEM DP and it was a PIA. At first blush, seemed real easy with everything being easy access but didnt realize there was clip behind the 2 bolts on the DP bracket, that cost me time and effort.

The biggest hurdle tho is getting the DP to go in the midpipe as I cant get it to slide in. I try to align but fittment is way too tight. Almost sounds like you had then butted up and then just used bracket to hold together?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 05:16 AM   #4
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryboz View Post
I just removed the OEM DP and it was a PIA. At first blush, seemed real easy with everything being easy access but didnt realize there was clip behind the 2 bolts on the DP bracket, that cost me time and effort.

The biggest hurdle tho is getting the DP to go in the midpipe as I cant get it to slide in. I try to align but fittment is way too tight. Almost sounds like you had then butted up and then just used bracket to hold together?
Getting the downpipe seated into the mid pipe is definitely a pain. I rented an exhaust pipe expander and just ever so slightly opened the mid pipe a tiny bit. I also used some exhaust paste as a lubricant and the downpipe slid right in. Zero problem with leaks.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 02:33 PM   #5
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryboz View Post

For me the AA DP slid into the midpipe pretty easy, probably because I slightly expanded the midpipe with a flathead while trying to get OEM DP out. But the AA DP is definitely slid into the midpipe, just maybe not as deep as OEM??

I also had to use a floorjack to ever-so-slightly lift the midpipe through the bolt-hanger to get the nut started.

Also, I didn’t know about the clip above the 2 nuts. I was telling my son about it, as he just installed the same DP on his Supra, and he scolded me for not watching YouTube. lol
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 11:52 AM   #6
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
Have any other members experienced the air leak issue that XC3LLR8 had? I am having a local muffler shop install my AA DP tomorrow morning and I am debating between having them bolt it on or weld it. It's a very reputable shop with 4.9/5 reviews. I can definitely see the pros of not having it welded on if I ever want to remove it for whatever reason. Would the air leak be something that the shop notice/hear right away after the bolt-on? I was thinking of mentioning it to them when I drop it off so that they check for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 11:57 AM   #7
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx100 View Post
Have any other members experienced the air leak issue that XC3LLR8 had? I am having a local muffler shop install my AA DP tomorrow morning and I am debating between having them bolt it on or weld it. It's a very reputable shop with 4.9/5 reviews. I can definitely see the pros of not having it welded on if I ever want to remove it for whatever reason. Would the air leak be something that the shop notice/hear right away after the bolt-on? I was thinking of mentioning it to them when I drop it off so that they check for it.
Yes, they'll be able to notice right away. My shop used a rubber hose to put up to the pipe and the other end to his ear to listen for leaks. He didn't do a weld all the way around (I don't think there was room), but he welded the expansion slot where air was leaking from. This also made it possible to use a small grinder to grid down the weld if I need to remove it for any reason.
Appreciate 1
viperx100627.50
      04-03-2023, 12:17 PM   #8
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

They also snugged the hell out of the clamp after welding, so may want to make sure they don't remove the clamp (that's what I thought they would've done).
Appreciate 1
viperx100627.50
      04-03-2023, 12:24 PM   #9
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
They also snugged the hell out of the clamp after welding, so may want to make sure they don't remove the clamp (that's what I thought they would've done).
Thanks for the heads up and the sound advice. I'll let them know and report back when the job is done. I appreciate ya!
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50