bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

03-12-2023, 03:35 PM   #1
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
Break-in period question

Hey,

So I recently bought a 2022 M240i with only 500 some miles on it. It was a fleet vehicle for shows and is now a year old (first titled in February 2022 to BMW of North America). Am I correct to assume that even though the car is a year old, as far as the engine is concerned, it has not been properly broken in since it's under 1200 miles still? (at 810 miles currently). I am asking in terms of pushing the car before it hits 1200.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 03:46 PM   #2
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Who really knows how the car was driven if it was a fleet/company/demo car. Could have just sat at shows or was thrashed by drives and execs. It would be safest to get an oil change since it’s already been 1 year, then follow standard break in procedure until 1200 miles as stated in the owners manual.
      03-12-2023, 05:22 PM   #3
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Or you could take the approach of a Swedish, Nordic rallying friend of mine whose view is, forget the running in, drive it as you want to use it from day 1.

To be fair, a 150mph + vehicle with an automatic gear box (and computer limited shifting) is highly unlikely to break.

All that said, I’d follow the advice from Coconut
Appreciate 1
viperx100627.50
      03-12-2023, 06:17 PM   #4
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Haha, I am almost there anyway. I drive with hand controls and they are getting installed this weekend, so I can just take it easy and get used to them in the meantime.
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      03-13-2023, 09:37 AM   #5
marcsg42
Private First Class
Rep

Car is so tempting to hit the gas a go fast so I would imagine the gas pedal was definitely stepped on more then a couple times I would change the oil and drive it however you want to you will be fine
Appreciate 1
viperx100627.50
      03-14-2023, 08:56 AM   #6
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx100 View Post
Hey,

So I recently bought a 2022 M240i with only 500 some miles on it. It was a fleet vehicle for shows and is now a year old (first titled in February 2022 to BMW of North America). Am I correct to assume that even though the car is a year old, as far as the engine is concerned, it has not been properly broken in since it's under 1200 miles still? (at 810 miles currently). I am asking in terms of pushing the car before it hits 1200.

Cheers.
Did BMW change the oil at the year mark before you took delivery? Did you check the level? I think thats BMWs recommendation; change it when the mileage minder tells you to or at the 1 year mark since the last one, whichever comes first.

If BMW didn't change it, suggest you change it and continue the break-in until 1200 miles in case it was well taken care of for the first 500 miles. If it was driven hard for the first 500, getting that oil and filter out now is probably a good idea.
Appreciate 1
viperx100627.50
      03-14-2023, 09:41 AM   #7
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked View Post
Did BMW change the oil at the year mark before you took delivery? Did you check the level? I think thats BMWs recommendation; change it when the mileage minder tells you to or at the 1 year mark since the last one, whichever comes first.

If BMW didn't change it, suggest you change it and continue the break-in until 1200 miles in case it was well taken care of for the first 500 miles. If it was driven hard for the first 500, getting that oil and filter out now is probably a good idea.
That's a good idea. I was thinking the same thing, and to stop by my BMW dealership as soon as my hand controls are installed and I get the car back. I didn't see a service on the carfax and that's what made me want to reach out to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 01:04 PM   #8
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Yes,any BMW dealer service dept should be able to tell if its had its annual change. If it hasn't i would definitely change it, not because it may have been driven hard, actually the opposite, if it had a lot of short drives (lilkely with the low mileage) say less than 15 miles at a time, which really does not get the oil heated enough to burn off the moisture, etc that can accumulate, is far worse. (This is why BMW specs an annual change regardless of low mileage).
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 01:47 PM   #9
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Not to mention that the annual service is included for free for the first 3 years. I would get it no matter what, but why not take advantage of the deal?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 03:11 PM   #10
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just to elaborate a bit on short trips and oil contamination. The combustion process itself produces water vapor, which can condense with short trips (not burnt off), that water can combine with sulfur (also a byproduct of combustion) to form a sufurous acid....which in turns tends to break down oil. There are other combustion by products as well. Fuel, water and acids not burnt off contribute to the dreaded sludge you find in engines that are driven short distances and with infrequent oil changes.
Appreciate 4
viperx100627.50
apez649.50
M2siast5876.00
      03-14-2023, 03:35 PM   #11
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
Just to elaborate a bit on short trips and oil contamination. The combustion process itself produces water vapor, which can condense with short trips (not burnt off), that water can combine with sulfur (also a byproduct of combustion) to form a sufurous acid....which in turns tends to break down oil. There are other combustion by products as well. Fuel, water and acids not burnt off contribute to the dreaded sludge you find in engines that are driven short distances and with infrequent oil changes.
That's quite the elaboration and is very much appreciated. The more you know, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 11:13 PM   #12
~Barn~
Neophyte
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i xDrive

Garage List
For many years now I've adopted the hard break-in theory to get the rings seated and expose those internal to the "real world" pressures and speeds that actual (spirited) driving will produce. Maybe there is another thread buried from many years ago where this topic was hashed out to the n'th but I'm curious of any new/old owners who also have adopted this philosophy?

Not that it means anything, but I've broken in multiple sportbike engines this way, a car or two, and I've never encountered any problems. One of the bikes interestingly enough, I did the break-in on a dyno and about 6 years later did it again at the same shop and was only down 3HP, which I thought was pretty incredible.

Anyway... From what I'm reading in various threads here on the forum it looks like most folks are keeping it "by the book", and I'm just curious if the rationale is that you believe in it? Is there diagnostic data that BMW can start digging into as an excuse to void your -W-? Something other? TIA, if you're willing to share!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 04:25 PM   #13
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

oh no, not again, I'm not gonna bite.
Been rehashed over and over.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2023, 12:43 PM   #14
~Barn~
Neophyte
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
oh no, not again, I'm not gonna bite.
Been rehashed over and over.
My bad... I'll keep looking! Or if you care to link me (?).

I just want to read (primarily) if it has something to do with concerns that BMW is "Big Brother-ing" people. At the end of the day, I know my my preference is; appreciate the response though.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 03:45 PM   #15
TheGeekGuy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
My bad... I'll keep looking! Or if you care to link me (?).

I just want to read (primarily) if it has something to do with concerns that BMW is "Big Brother-ing" people. At the end of the day, I know my my preference is; appreciate the response though.
The simple answer is, do what you want. My opinion, or that of others are just that... Opinions. Some are based on experience, others on statistical info.

Here is my 2 cents - BMW cars monitor EVERYTHING and record that monitoring. Their manual calls for a 1200 mile break in. If you are happy with the probability of nothing happening if you exceed the recommended RPM, speed, etc then have it. If you're not, then 1200 miles isn't that long of time to wait.

Gone but not forgotten:
2021 MINI JCW GP • 2016 MINI JCW • 2012 MINI Couper S • 2010 MINI Cooper S Camden Edition
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 05:24 PM   #16
~Barn~
Neophyte
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekGuy View Post
The simple answer is, do what you want. My opinion, or that of others are just that... Opinions. Some are based on experience, others on statistical info.

Here is my 2 cents - BMW cars monitor EVERYTHING and record that monitoring. Their manual calls for a 1200 mile break in. If you are happy with the probability of nothing happening if you exceed the recommended RPM, speed, etc then have it. If you're not, then 1200 miles isn't that long of time to wait.
I can appreciate that. And thanks for the confirmation on what I had suspected. This is my first BMW so I guess just wanting to know what I'm in for so-to-speak.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 04:12 AM   #17
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
I can appreciate that. And thanks for the confirmation on what I had suspected. This is my first BMW so I guess just wanting to know what I'm in for so-to-speak.
It’s peace of mind. If you want to take a brand new 50 grand car and rag the nuts of it, be my guest.
As others have said, 1200 miles run in by the book then gradually bring up the engine load and revs to remove any potential BMW recourse or limit future issues, seems a small sacrifice to me.
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2023, 11:33 AM   #18
pantdino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E36 M3, 2024 M240i RWD

I thought it was 1000 miles for non-"real" M cars and 1200 for "real" M cars. Although it's a fine point.

Re the easy vs hard break-in, I remember reading in Road and Track years ago that if you use an engine hard when new it will eventually wear out faster in the long run. But I have an airplane and those engines are broken in by running at full throttle for the first 10 hrs. With those, the teaching is the rings won't seat and you'll have to redo the cylinders if you run it lightly at first. I'm not sure what to make of these opposite recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 08:11 AM   #19
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantdino View Post
I thought it was 1000 miles for non-"real" M cars and 1200 for "real" M cars. Although it's a fine point.

Re the easy vs hard break-in, I remember reading in Road and Track years ago that if you use an engine hard when new it will eventually wear out faster in the long run. But I have an airplane and those engines are broken in by running at full throttle for the first 10 hrs. With those, the teaching is the rings won't seat and you'll have to redo the cylinders if you run it lightly at first. I'm not sure what to make of these opposite recommendations.
Different engines. Why would you believe air plane engine break in applies to car engines? I doubt the opposite would be believed. That air plane engines should get the same break in as car engines.

(Is running the engine at full throttle for 10 hours really in the craft's owners manual?)

At any rate, the engine maker is the only authority on break in for its engines. My advice is to follow the break in guidelines in the owners manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 03:04 PM   #20
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

An old thread but…

I have not driven over 100mph. I’ve tried to vary speed while driving for long periods on the highway. I’ve kept rpm’s below 4500. I haven’t done any hard accelerations from a stop, and have avoided downshifts while accelerating. Certainly no launches. Hell, I’ve even let a guy in a Camry force me to get out of the fast lane because I didn’t want to push it. That was the hardest of all. I’ve been good and I’ve been restrained.

I now sit at 1198 miles.

What does “the engine and vehicle speed can gradually be increased” mean exactly? How gradual is gradual? Can I go over 100? Can I get a little pushed back into the seat from a red light? And most importantly, do I have to move aside for Mr Camry if I don’t feel like it?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 03:15 PM   #21
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
An old thread but…

I have not driven over 100mph. I’ve tried to vary speed while driving for long periods on the highway. I’ve kept rpm’s below 4500. I haven’t done any hard accelerations from a stop, and have avoided downshifts while accelerating. Certainly no launches. Hell, I’ve even let a guy in a Camry force me to get out of the fast lane because I didn’t want to push it. That was the hardest of all. I’ve been good and I’ve been restrained.

I now sit at 1198 miles.

What does “the engine and vehicle speed can gradually be increased” mean exactly? How gradual is gradual? Can I go over 100? Can I get a little pushed back into the seat from a red light? And most importantly, do I have to move aside for Mr Camry if I don’t feel like it?
Yup, you can let loose now. Just make sure the oil temps are nice and warm and enjoy! One does not bow down to a Camry!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 05:05 PM   #22
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
An old thread but…

I now sit at 1198 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx100 View Post
Yup, you can let loose now. Just make sure the oil temps are nice and warm and enjoy! One does not bow down to a Camry!
If doing it by the book, no!

Increase revs by 1000rpm every 200 miles until max

BTW, speed isn’t important- it’s the revs. Keeping it to below 100mph is irrelevant.
Appreciate 1
Fronzdan304.00