bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-02-2023, 12:24 PM   #1
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Engine Cover Utility?

Okay, did some research (not exhaustive), nothing conclusive about what the purpose of BMW engine covers are.

Reasons I've seen include: noise reduction (I believe this to be true), protect from dirt/dust (BS...my engine's filthy), routing air for cooling (sounds weird), trapping heat for controlled temps (sounds odd), and finally, looks nice (agreed, but...very subjective).

I heard of one BMW mechanic (connected to Scotty Kilmer's site) who felt it traps heat to the detriment of the engine and it is for looks and injector noise...hence removed. I've heard this from others too, but I also hear it is critical to the functioning of the engine or they wouldn't have it in the first place.

I feel this debate is like the oil debate, never gonna have an authoritative answer. Though, I recognize it is not nearly as important as oil...in fact, not that important at all. All that said, however, is there anyone who's aware of authoritative insights on BMW engine cover utility?

IMO, it's for looks and noise, nothing else. The majority of BMW buyers appreciate both, so I see why BMW would do it. I am sure this group has stronger opinions, or at least care to know.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Dinosoar; 04-02-2023 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 12:40 PM   #2
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Looks and to damper the awful noise from the injectors so every owner doesn’t start to freak out.

Nothing more nothing less. Engines are ugly to the common folk so car companies cover them in plastic to make them look “nicer”
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 07:17 PM   #3
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
Looks and to damper the awful noise from the injectors so every owner doesn’t start to freak out.

Nothing more nothing less. Engines are ugly to the common folk so car companies cover them in plastic to make them look “nicer”
I agree...though I don't know this to be true. I took mine off and will track oil temps to see if they run slightly lower. I heard one guy claim he saw such a difference. I find it hard to believe, but will run the "test" nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 10:41 PM   #4
ZM240i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

For looks …….. anything positive after that is gravy.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 05:24 AM   #5
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosoar View Post
I agree...though I don't know this to be true. I took mine off and will track oil temps to see if they run slightly lower. I heard one guy claim he saw such a difference. I find it hard to believe, but will run the "test" nonetheless.
If you take the hood off things will be cooler.

You are splitting hairs here. Nothing magical happens removing that thin piece of plastic.
Appreciate 1
danallxt738.50
      04-03-2023, 11:37 AM   #6
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

yup, this is kinda ridiculous
but if you are gonna run a "test" better make sure all the variables are the same:
ambient air temp same
air density the same
run time the same
if driven, drive exactly the same route, same distance, exactly the same throttle applications etc otherwise your test is totally invalid.
Also my BMW oil temp gauge is a bar graph type that is not exact enough for any comparison...i miss the digital oil temp readout of my previous vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 09:16 PM   #7
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
yup, this is kinda ridiculous
but if you are gonna run a "test" better make sure all the variables are the same:
ambient air temp same
air density the same
run time the same
if driven, drive exactly the same route, same distance, exactly the same throttle applications etc otherwise your test is totally invalid.
Also my BMW oil temp gauge is a bar graph type that is not exact enough for any comparison...i miss the digital oil temp readout of my previous vehicle.
Okay, I'll do my best to meet the U.S. Department of Weights & Measures' "dead on balls accurate" standard.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 02:14 PM   #8
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

excuse me for trying to be helpful, but if you don't take into account what i mentioned your so called test is a total waste of time and misleading.
your concern about oil temp and engine cover is ridiculous anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 08:15 PM   #9
AWcoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 240i xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M240  [0.00]
2015 BMW 235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Okay, I'll do my best to meet the U.S. Department of Weights & Measures' "dead on balls accurate" standard.
Joe Pesci: “Dead on balls accurate?”
Marisa Tomei: “It’s an industry term”
My Cousin Vinny leaky faucet scene. CLASSIC
2009 BMW 328xi Alpine White-Traded
Appreciate 1
Dinosoar290.50
      04-05-2023, 10:28 PM   #10
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
excuse me for trying to be helpful, but if you don't take into account what i mentioned your so called test is a total waste of time and misleading.
your concern about oil temp and engine cover is ridiculous anyway.
Oh, I believe you were trying to be helpful. Just don't know why you throw in a dash of "rude" with your advice. It's not a serious endeavor, just a question to garner people's knowledge on it, that's all. It's not ridiculous, just a conversation. You should be nicer, even on the Internet. Thanks for your concern, though.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      04-06-2023, 03:31 PM   #11
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Next time I get to Davis Monthan AFB my son and I are swapping our engine covers. I'll report back if my engine runs cooler/hotter with a Toyota Supra cover.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 07:48 PM   #12
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

The cover does quiet the loud DI fuel injectors quite a bit. My wife's old Focus had DI injectors without a cover, and you could hear them in the cabin they made such a racket. Take the cover off your car and you'll hear the loud ticking.

The other purpose of the cover is actually to hold heat in. This sounds stupid, but heat management in the engine is part of the emissions control. The engine runs way cleaner and more efficiently once it is at operating temperature. When you stop the car, the cover helps to hold the heat in so that when you restart it it is closer to operating temperature. The electric water pump and thermostat are very efficient at cooling the engine in normal operation, so it doesn't add heat to the engine. The water cooling is way more effective than any convective heat loss without the cover while running.

Does holding that extra heat in cause damage to other components? Especially if driven hard or in a hot environment? Well, you could argue that, but I'm not sure it makes much of a difference. In our cars there isn't much under the cover. And you could argue that rapidly changing/cooling temps without the cover could cause issues also. (Now one of the hot-vee V8 engines is a different story.)

And yes, the cover is also there for cosmetic reasons. Although the only people who actually open their hoods these days would rather probably see the raw engine parts. (Like me.)
Appreciate 1
Dinosoar290.50
      04-08-2023, 11:14 AM   #13
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
Next time I get to Davis Monthan AFB my son and I are swapping our engine covers. I'll report back if my engine runs cooler/hotter with a Toyota Supra cover.
I've been tracking my oil temp gauge a long time now and I have not noticed any change.

I talked to my Genius about it...he confirmed a few things. Yes, it's just for noise muting, and looks. He said while it may affect heat build-up, it would not be noticeable in the gauges when there's active oil-cooling like in both the B48 and B58 motors...same with water, of course. He said it would merely, then, have to turn on less. Makes sense.

So, I did weigh the B48 cover in at 3.5 lbs. I assume a B58 cover is easily over 5lbs....so, for us fanatics, taking weight off the front axle is good! Two, it may ease temps and cooling, and third, the cover will be it great shape when it goes back on for selling it.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 11:18 AM   #14
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
The cover does quiet the loud DI fuel injectors quite a bit. My wife's old Focus had DI injectors without a cover, and you could hear them in the cabin they made such a racket. Take the cover off your car and you'll hear the loud ticking.

The other purpose of the cover is actually to hold heat in. This sounds stupid, but heat management in the engine is part of the emissions control. The engine runs way cleaner and more efficiently once it is at operating temperature. When you stop the car, the cover helps to hold the heat in so that when you restart it it is closer to operating temperature. The electric water pump and thermostat are very efficient at cooling the engine in normal operation, so it doesn't add heat to the engine. The water cooling is way more effective than any convective heat loss without the cover while running.

Does holding that extra heat in cause damage to other components? Especially if driven hard or in a hot environment? Well, you could argue that, but I'm not sure it makes much of a difference. In our cars there isn't much under the cover. And you could argue that rapidly changing/cooling temps without the cover could cause issues also. (Now one of the hot-vee V8 engines is a different story.)

And yes, the cover is also there for cosmetic reasons. Although the only people who actually open their hoods these days would rather probably see the raw engine parts. (Like me.)
I have wondered about protecting some of the electrical lines if there was a lot of water splashing up in there. It does NOT work to keep dirt out though...my engine had enough dirt in there. Though, now that it is off, I may see more, huh? At least keeping it clean myself will be easier. I'm sure I look weird to my neighbors vacuuming and wiping down my engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 11:32 AM   #15
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
I've been tracking my oil temp gauge a long time now and I have not noticed any change.

I talked to my Genius about it...he confirmed a few things. Yes, it's just for noise muting, and looks. He said while it may affect heat build-up, it would not be noticeable in the gauges when there's active oil-cooling like in both the B48 and B58 motors...same with water, of course. He said it would merely, then, have to turn on less. Makes sense.

So, I did weigh the B48 cover in at 3.5 lbs. I assume a B58 cover is easily over 5lbs....so, for us fanatics, taking weight off the front axle is good! Two, it may ease temps and cooling, and third, the cover will be it great shape when it goes back on for selling it.
You believe what a BMW ‘Genius’ told you? 🥴🤣
      04-08-2023, 01:54 PM   #16
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisiblename View Post
You believe what a BMW ‘Genius’ told you? 🥴🤣
Haha...I guess. This issue is pretty simple, so my guess is he's accurate and truthful.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 02:32 PM   #17
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Haha...I guess. This issue is pretty simple, so my guess is he's accurate and truthful.
My Genius told me the ZTK package has a transmission cooler, but not an extra oil cooler, and has the same size calipers as the non-ZTK. So there’s that.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 05:53 PM   #18
Mike_H_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240ix, 370z, Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
My Genius told me the ZTK package has a transmission cooler, but not an extra oil cooler, and has the same size calipers as the non-ZTK. So there’s that.
I have ZTK too, once oil hits 210, it doesn't seem to budge, BMW has the cooling sorted out.

There are also people here who insist the car doesn't have active lower grille shutters.

Name:  Lower shutters closed.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  lower shutters open.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  56.1 KB
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      04-08-2023, 06:05 PM   #19
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H_ View Post
I have ZTK too, once oil hits 210, it doesn't seem to budge, BMW has the cooling sorted out.

There are also people here who insist the car doesn't have active lower grille shutters.

Attachment 3150868

Attachment 3150869
I sure hope it budges above 210, since that’s not hot enough to evaporate condensation.

But you’re right, it manages heat extremely well.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 08:53 PM   #20
apez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2, F25 X3

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [7.62]
2015 BMW X3  [7.25]
Quote:
I'm sure I look weird to my neighbors vacuuming and wiping down my engine.
Can't be worse then what they think when I am out hand washing with snow on the ground!

Car people will get you, and to hell with the rest. They have their own weird things.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 10:43 PM   #21
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apez View Post
Can't be worse then what they think when I am out hand washing with snow on the ground!

Car people will get you, and to hell with the rest. They have their own weird things.
I have an automatic car wash membership.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 02:37 PM   #22
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have ZTK too, once oil hits 210, it doesn't seem to budge, BMW has the cooling sorted out

Are you sure you are not looking at water temp?
The oil temp gauge on my M240 is way to crude to determine any exact measurement, it has a 45 degree temp rang between bar scale indicators, so it's a crude guess as to what it actually is.

Oil temp will vary a lot depending upon how its driven and the conditions its driven in. My previous ride's H20 temp would stay rock steady at 210 degrees (after a very quick 1-2 mile warmup) no matter what. On the other hand the oil temp would vary a lot. It had a digital oil temp readout to the nearest 1 degree. My oil temps would vary according to ambient air temp, urban vs rural driving, and how hard i was driving and how much turbo demand i was using.
Appreciate 0