E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil spilt onto belts and alternator from oil filter.

04-20-2023, 01:12 PM   #1
madderhorn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328xi Space Grey

Oil spilt onto belts and alternator from oil filter.

I made a mistake when removing my oil filter on my n51 and managed to have oil pour out of the housing and onto the alternator and the belts below. Visually I can see it on the top of the highest belt and on the underside that contacts the pulley on the lower belt. (Sorry I am unaware of the belt names). I cleaned them off the best I could but I know the damage has been done.

I understand after looking around what my mistake was and how the oil came out- my question is about the belts and alternator. With the belts having oil on them, is this a problem to where i'd have to replace the belts or can I clean them off. As well as what to do with the alternator considering oil did make its way onto it.

Before you post please understand that I am aware of how to not repeat this mistake and that, yes I am an idiot for making it in the first place. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 01:25 PM   #2
madderhorn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328xi Space Grey

I have no idea when the belts were last changed as I took ownership nearly a year ago- may be a good idea to just get it taken care of anyways :bs:
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 07:27 PM   #3
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

This is fine.

Just wipe them clean as well as you reasonably can and don't worry about it.
      04-24-2023, 04:44 AM   #4
E90328iSedan2009
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 2009 Sedan

Saw a similar scenario, with oil from the filter housing gasket dripping on to the belt. In my case the idler pully looped in the belt needed replacement so it was an easier decision to install a new belt at the same time I installed the new pully. Like the OP, the belt (and car) were new to me so minor costs like the new belt were already in the budget.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2023, 08:00 PM   #5
Daaaaaaaan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 323i

Had this happen and my alternator started acting wonky. Would intermittently charge and not charge.

Keep an eye on your voltages and have a charger and jumper cables handy (but never ended up having to jump mine).

Problem went away after emptying a whole can of CRC Lectra-motive on the alternator over a couple of days. Been good for 2+ years now.

This stuff: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Took the opportunity to do a belt replacement after cleaning everything as much as possible.
Appreciate 1