bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-08-2023, 10:53 AM   #1
Ninjageezer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240I G42

xHP

Anyone got any results /thoughts who have used this flasher ?
worth the money or not,does it give more clamping pressure also ?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 12:47 PM   #2
Zemzam
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i '22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjageezer View Post
Anyone got any results /thoughts who have used this flasher ?
worth the money or not,does it give more clamping pressure also ?
I have a thread in these forums that goes into a lot of detail about my experience, but here is the short version:
  • Is it worth it? YES. Transforms the shift behavior of the car and gives you a LOT of control over how you want it to perform.
  • Increase clamping pressure? Yes, but this is more complicated. There are several settings that change the behavior of the shifts, and the line pressure can be adjusted. However there are situations where extreme changes to these values can begin to degrade the lifespan of the clutch packs. They have a fantastic wiki page that goes into a lot of detail and I would suggest pouring through that and even reaching out to them with questions.
  • How was your experience with RBTtuning (the makers of xHP)? Fantastic. They are responsive and knowledgeable and they care about their customers.
  • Which flash tool should you get? The MHD Uni WiFi Adapter (RED). There are others that can work with xHP as well, but that is the one that worked for me.
  • Did you have any issues? YES, due to a defective xHP adapter (the blue one), I had some issues that were resolved relatively quickly. See the thread for more info.
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      05-09-2023, 04:18 AM   #3
Ninjageezer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemzam View Post
I have a thread in these forums that goes into a lot of detail about my experience, but here is the short version:
  • Is it worth it? YES. Transforms the shift behavior of the car and gives you a LOT of control over how you want it to perform.
  • Increase clamping pressure? Yes, but this is more complicated. There are several settings that change the behavior of the shifts, and the line pressure can be adjusted. However there are situations where extreme changes to these values can begin to degrade the lifespan of the clutch packs. They have a fantastic wiki page that goes into a lot of detail and I would suggest pouring through that and even reaching out to them with questions.
  • How was your experience with RBTtuning (the makers of xHP)? Fantastic. They are responsive and knowledgeable and they care about their customers.
  • Which flash tool should you get? The MHD Uni WiFi Adapter (RED). There are others that can work with xHP as well, but that is the one that worked for me.
  • Did you have any issues? YES, due to a defective xHP adapter (the blue one), I had some issues that were resolved relatively quickly. See the thread for more info.
ok great thanks for the info ...
i got fast replys from RBTuning but was a little confused by the last email...this is what it said.

we would not recommend using a JB4 instead of a flash tune. The JB4 does not send the correct torque values to the transmission, so the transmission still sees stock torque values.
If the transmission only sees stock values, only stock clamping pressures will be applied.

With a proper engine tune a healthy 8HP51 can handle up to 700 NM, a bit more with the custom feature "line-pressure bump" being enabled.

Does this mean its a waste of time with a piggyback box and it will not increase the line pressure to help with possible slip ?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 02:52 PM   #4
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Quote:

ok great thanks for the info ...
i got fast replys from RBTuning but was a little confused by the last email...this is what it said.

we would not recommend using a JB4 instead of a flash tune. The JB4 does not send the correct torque values to the transmission, so the transmission still sees stock torque values.
If the transmission only sees stock values, only stock clamping pressures will be applied.

With a proper engine tune a healthy 8HP51 can handle up to 700 NM, a bit more with the custom feature "line-pressure bump" being enabled.

Does this mean its a waste of time with a piggyback box and it will not increase the line pressure to help with possible slip ?
Someone recently posted their dyno numbers with a JB4 on Map 5 with a Mustang dyno at 20 psi (Map 5 can target 22 psi):

432 WHP
408 TQ

I'd guess this increased torque is just making the transmission yawn.

Playing with my settings I can tell a difference in shift speeds/firmness, so something's certainly changing or it's a great placebo.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 03:24 PM   #5
Ninjageezer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
Someone recently posted their dyno numbers with a JB4 on Map 5 with a Mustang dyno at 20 psi (Map 5 can target 22 psi):

432 WHP
408 TQ

I'd guess this increased torque is just making the transmission yawn.

Playing with my settings I can tell a difference in shift speeds/firmness, so something's certainly changing or it's a great placebo.
thanks for the info...

just got another email from xHP ..

Correct, xHP will apply more line pressure if the engine sends higher than stock torque values.
With any piggyback ECU, the torque values the transmission controller sees are still "stock" because the DME also still thinks that all parameters like inlet air temperature, boost etc also, still are "stock".

The changes listed on our website are the ones do still apply, but shifting performance might not be as good as with a car with an ECU tune. Also, if you are starting to run even higher power levels, we really recommend running a flash tune instead of a piggy back ECU.

Best Regards,
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 03:54 PM   #6
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Quote:
thanks for the info...

just got another email from xHP ..

Correct, xHP will apply more line pressure if the engine sends higher than stock torque values.
With any piggyback ECU, the torque values the transmission controller sees are still "stock" because the DME also still thinks that all parameters like inlet air temperature, boost etc also, still are "stock".

The changes listed on our website are the ones do still apply, but shifting performance might not be as good as with a car with an ECU tune. Also, if you are starting to run even higher power levels, we really recommend running a flash tune instead of a piggy back ECU.

Best Regards,
I think you'll find 100% agreement that a flash tune is ideal...but here we are with locked ECU's.

Again, while the extra power the car is making with a JB4 is very noticeable, it's nothing to write home about. Mid 400's for HP and TQ are nothing earth shattering, but when combined with how/when/where the B58 makes the power, combined with the ZF8 and xDrive, and it becomes a potent package!

I'm definitely a fan of the xHP combined with the JB4, and it's good to know it only gets better with a flashed ECU.
Appreciate 0