bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-20-2023, 08:20 PM   #1
aaronchouuu
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 230i

DP, CP, Intake

Would a Catless Downpipe, Titanium Charge pipe and MST intake make a big difference to a b48's performance on a 230i that already has a racechip installed?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 09:28 PM   #2
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: (G42) m240ix

Garage List
I don't think these mods would yield that large of a performance gain on a piggy-back. Not to say that they would do nothing. I don't know about the B48, but the B58 has a decent stock airbox. If I had to guess I'd imagine that the catless downpipe would probably give you the biggest performance gain by reducing turbo backpressure.

From a more cosmetic angle the catless will certainly make your car sound much more raspy and agressive, but it's also the most labor intensive part to install whether you DIY or get someone to do it for you. The intake sounds may also make your drive more engaging.

To me it seems like a lot of money to spend unless you went with a true flash tune, but I'm guessing you already know about the option of sending your ECU on a little vacation to finland. Personally, I think I might even allocate some of the budget to a nice set of summer tires like the michelin pilot sports or something first. I think if you have your heart is set on them or you're probably going to flash tune in the future it's probably worth it.

Also what product did you find that is a fully titanium charge pipe? I could only find aluminum ones for my m240. It sounds rather expensive, though it obviously would be quite light.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 09:50 PM   #3
aaronchouuu
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeBimmers View Post
I don't think these mods would yield that large of a performance gain on a piggy-back. Not to say that they would do nothing. I don't know about the B48, but the B58 has a decent stock airbox. If I had to guess I'd imagine that the catless downpipe would probably give you the biggest performance gain by reducing turbo backpressure.

From a more cosmetic angle the catless will certainly make your car sound much more raspy and agressive, but it's also the most labor intensive part to install whether you DIY or get someone to do it for you. The intake sounds may also make your drive more engaging.

To me it seems like a lot of money to spend unless you went with a true flash tune, but I'm guessing you already know about the option of sending your ECU on a little vacation to finland. Personally, I think I might even allocate some of the budget to a nice set of summer tires like the michelin pilot sports or something first. I think if you have your heart is set on them or you're probably going to flash tune in the future it's probably worth it.

Also what product did you find that is a fully titanium charge pipe? I could only find aluminum ones for my m240. It sounds rather expensive, though it obviously would be quite light.
Thanks for this reply!

Apex built has a range of different charge pipes for bmws! definitely check them out.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 11:03 PM   #4
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronchouuu View Post
Thanks for this reply!

Apex built has a range of different charge pipes for bmws! definitely check them out.
Huh actually that was the one place I didn't check for charge pipes . But bro I saw that B48 titanium charge pipe and that shit is a THOUSAND Gs! You're better off spending that money on a nicer downpipe, it's almost as much as one of those fancy eventuri carbon fiber air intakes.

For something like a JB4 you could probably even get away with the stock plastic charge pipes. We don't have the same engine twerking problem as the N54/55 generation where the chargepipe/coolant system was mounted directly to the chasis. You only really would think about upgrading that in the first place to accomodate increased pressure from like a stage 2+ flash tune or if you wanted something like port side meth injection.

If I were you and had to go for a charge pipe upgrade I'd probably use the budget allocation to buy an aluminum charge pipe and then buy a nice ducktail spoiler or something. I mean the titanium charge pipe is sick and all, and I won't tell you how to spend your money, but damn it ain't cheap.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 09:31 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

the downpipe will add 15-20 more whp and the intake 5-10 who
the charge pipe will not make any power

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201842.50
      08-23-2023, 03:12 PM   #6
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
I would go for DP and intake + a tune: I think you could have great numbers coming from the B48!

DP will delete the restrictions and intake might increase airflow a bit. In addition, the tune is mandatory with these mods.

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 03:20 PM   #7
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeBimmers View Post
Huh actually that was the one place I didn't check for charge pipes . But bro I saw that B48 titanium charge pipe and that shit is a THOUSAND Gs!
Appreciate 1
rons e921397.00
      08-25-2023, 10:43 AM   #8
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Lightbulb

I just remembered a resource that may be helpful in extracting as much performance from your car as possible as far as tuning upgrades go: https://bmwtuning.co/category/bmw-b48/

There's a specific article that goes over acheiving 300 whp and exact figures in terms of hp and tq that the upgrades can give you: https://bmwtuning.co/b48-tuning-guide-300whp-for-1500/

As I suspected, the catless delivers the best bang for buck after a tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 05:37 AM   #9
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

The downpipe will add some power but not as much with a racechip from what i've seen on dynos. Better luck using a jb4 stage 2 which has a little more control over the ecu than the race chip does by just adding boost by rpm by gear.

Charge pipe will do little to nothing so don't spend to much money on it.

https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-b46-b48-c...e-f-g-chassis/

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 09-26-2023 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0