bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-17-2023, 03:55 PM   #1
veejayy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Honda s2000

Need advice on modding the M240x by the book

Hello- coming from Honda, Supra and Stangs back in the day I had no problem modding my cars without worrying about warranty issues.

So totally new to BMW and was pleasantly surprised that between BMW and Dinan there are opportunities to do manufacturer modding by the dealership if you will.

I am older now and I have the modding bug but not the time or the knees to do it myself anymore. I know it is a more expensive way to go but I am ok with that.

So I already had MPE installed and very pleased with it.

What else should I do from the Dinan/BMW menu only and have the dealer take care of install?

Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 06:04 PM   #2
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Dinans flash tunes had warranties currently they don't offer that for our cars. I think the only thing is the piggy back from carbahn that you can get a warranty with. Otherwise intake dp no tune or piggy back heck leaving it stock is probably best if you are really worried about the warranty. If you did decide to want to actually flash tune it currently you have to send the ecu overseas to be unlocked first.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 06:05 PM   #3
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Keep in mind that dealers can still void parts of your warranty with Dinan parts, especially if you use a Dinan piggyback.

Using any sort of piggyback, including Dinans, is easily detectable by BMWs computer systems. Even if you remove it.

This will “flag” your car as having a modified ecu which if in the future have any power train issues could bite you in the ass and not be covered under warranty.

For some of dinans piggybacks they offer a very pricey model that includes a dinan warranty, this is NOT a warranty though BMW but their piggybacks for our car do not have an option to purchase the dinan warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 07:37 AM   #4
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Have a look at AC Schnitzer. In the UK, at any rate, they warrant engine etc in parallel with BMW. They also use BMW dealers to fit parts.

Last edited by Pentland; 09-18-2023 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 07:42 AM   #5
Nate48
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

veejayy I'm in a similar boat. I WANT THAT WARRANTY. So, I'm still having fun. Added some Carbon Bits, 50th M logos, and plan on doing the Dinan Cold Air Intake, and Exhaust, but no ECU Piggy back. The car datalogs this info (I'm told) so even though it's a quick install and removal, BMW will know you had it on the car. So, I'm just sticking with the standard "Sound Fast" parts. The car itself is plenty fast. I mean... 500hp would be nice, but I like not having to worry about anything with the extended warranty.
Appreciate 1
Ruebarb375.00
      09-18-2023, 05:52 PM   #6
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
Using any sort of piggyback, including Dinans, is easily detectable by BMWs computer systems. Even if you remove it.
Has anyone figured out how this is logged? Normally a piggyback in its simplest form is just spoofing the readings at the MAP/MAF, so there isn't much for a car to know. I thought maybe it would read the parameters of airflow and log them. Seeing AFR out of whack or boost volumes outside of normal parameters considering throttle position and whatnot would be red flags? Or the fact the car is often pushing extra fuel outside of normal parameters (due to overboost compensation)?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 06:37 PM   #7
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
Has anyone figured out how this is logged? Normally a piggyback in its simplest form is just spoofing the readings at the MAP/MAF, so there isn't much for a car to know. I thought maybe it would read the parameters of airflow and log them. Seeing AFR out of whack or boost volumes outside of normal parameters considering throttle position and whatnot would be red flags? Or the fact the car is often pushing extra fuel outside of normal parameters (due to overboost compensation)?
You answered your own question.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 07:25 PM   #8
Ihatecats78
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90

I’m curious.. has anyone on this forum actually had their car flagged and/or their warranty cancelled due to a piggyback?

I get that it’s possible to dig deep into the data logs of the car, and if presented with a total engine replacement, a dealer might just look that deep.

That said, I contacted a BMW dealership who sold Carbahn and they acted like I was crazy when I brought up flagged vehicles and potential trade-in issues.

I’m not recommending anyone roll the dice with their warranty based on the above comment, but I’d be interested to hear a story first hand from someone who went through it.
Appreciate 1
Ruebarb375.00
      09-27-2023, 09:28 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatecats78 View Post
I’m curious.. has anyone on this forum actually had their car flagged and/or their warranty cancelled due to a piggyback?

I get that it’s possible to dig deep into the data logs of the car, and if presented with a total engine replacement, a dealer might just look that deep.

That said, I contacted a BMW dealership who sold Carbahn and they acted like I was crazy when I brought up flagged vehicles and potential trade-in issues.

I’m not recommending anyone roll the dice with their warranty based on the above comment, but I’d be interested to hear a story first hand from someone who went through it.
With hundreds of thousands of tuned cars on this forum alone, i'd be shocked if you can find 5 cars that had issues with standard bolt ons.

Its crazy to me how these scare tactics still work on some people even after 15 years of history with this forum

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201842.50
      09-29-2023, 03:16 PM   #10
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Has anyone here used TDI Tuning?
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 12:14 PM   #11
veejayy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Honda s2000

Hey guys - OP here. Great discussion and thanks. Very helpful.
Appreciate 0