bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-02-2023, 10:13 AM   #1
pantdino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E36 M3, 2024 M240i RWD

"fake" burbles?

I'm not sure why people are calling the exhaust burbles fake.
Especially with the right tailpipe valve open, the burbles are clearly heard out the exhaust pipe. So how is it fake? It's not like those are just coming out of the speakers inside the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 02:40 PM   #2
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Lots of people watch youtube car reviews then spew whatever they say everywhere.
Appreciate 3
      11-02-2023, 06:47 PM   #3
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

In sport mode, I can def hear them when I have the windows down and can hear the exhaust bouncing back off of surrounding objects. Almost worth the cost of admission to drive this thing around in sport mode to hear the exhaust sounds.
Appreciate 2
DrJLag420799.00
jpf3409.00
      11-03-2023, 02:16 AM   #4
nype
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i / BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
In sport mode, I can def hear them when I have the windows down and can hear the exhaust bouncing back off of surrounding objects. Almost worth the cost of admission to drive this thing around in sport mode to hear the exhaust sounds.
You could just pull the fuse and leave the flap open regardless of mode
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 09:48 AM   #5
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post
You could just pull the fuse and leave the flap open regardless of mode
Nah, for me, it's just about right in comfort mode for everyday city/urban driving. And I like the personality change when going to Sport and Sport+ when I want to play a bit. Not sure I would feel comfortable pulling any fuses either in my brand new (only 630 miles) car.
Appreciate 1
nype138.00
      11-03-2023, 10:25 AM   #6
winter.zed
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Boxster 718/982

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantdino View Post
I'm not sure why people are calling the exhaust burbles fake.
Maybe because they are (can be) controlled by software.
On my Boxster - for example - I have two FVD Brombacher tune options that will put out the same amount of power/torque, but one of them is doing it with the "normal" engine sound, while the other is adding the farts/burbles.
I occasionally switch between them just for fun, but try to not annoy neighbours too much
I also think they are "fake" since I can have the same engine output without burbles, and they were just a "free add-on" to the tune. That's even how FVD marketed the tuning package.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 11:09 AM   #7
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter.zed View Post
Maybe because they are (can be) controlled by software.
On my Boxster - for example - I have two FVD Brombacher tune options that will put out the same amount of power/torque, but one of them is doing it with the "normal" engine sound, while the other is adding the farts/burbles.
I occasionally switch between them just for fun, but try to not annoy neighbours too much
I also think they are "fake" since I can have the same engine output without burbles, and they were just a "free add-on" to the tune. That's even how FVD marketed the tuning package.
The "fake" they are talking about here is sound through the speakers. Not sure even if from the tune how sounds coming from the exhaust could be considered fake. Exaggerated maybe but fake def not.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 02:23 PM   #8
winter.zed
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Boxster 718/982

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
The "fake" they are talking about here is sound through the speakers. Not sure even if from the tune how sounds coming from the exhaust could be considered fake. Exaggerated maybe but fake def not.
Yes, I see your point.
I meant "fake" (in my case) because neither engine nor exhaust actually need to make those burble noises to achieve the desired hp/tq numbers.
Noise is added just for show.
That being said - Porsche also has this pumping noise into the cabin fixation that you mention. At least theirs is actual noise from own engine, amplified by something called "soundaktor".
The cabin is plenty noisy anyway in a Boxster, so I pulled the plug on my soundaktor as soon as I found out where it is.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 02:53 PM   #9
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I know they're fake because I have a downpipes, equal length midpipe, and a valves rear section from AA. When I turn the button off in M1 mode with the valves open, I don't hear them as much. From the outside the sound does not change. Also, the "burbles" in my car are more like snaps and cracks, and the sound coming through the speakers is significantly more muffled.

I need to code ASD out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 04:57 PM   #10
pantdino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E36 M3, 2024 M240i RWD

I think if you asked most people what "fake" engine sound is they would say "sound made by an audio program that comes out of the speakers in the sound system and is not audible from outside the car." Saying that a sound is fake just because the exhaust system has a valve in it which changes the sound output doesn't make sense.

That would mean that all aftermarket exhaust systems are "fake" unless you have carefully controlled dyno tests showing they actually increase the power output.

Somewhere on Youtube there is a road test of a 230i where when they turn off the IS it sounds like a 4 cylinder Honda or Toyota. THAT is fake sound

Last edited by pantdino; 11-03-2023 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: add comment
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 05:57 PM   #11
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Fake is not the right word. Augmented is likely more appropriate. The engine and exhaust makes it's own sound and burbles of a particular volume depending on drive mode and if the exhaust flap is open. This is supplemented (augmented) by additional sound from the speakers, both the exhaust note and the burbles. If it was an EV, all the combustion noises you hear are fake. In ours, it's just making the existing noises louder for the cabin occupants, although not perfectly replicating the tone.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 06:37 PM   #12
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Fake:

https://www.protributebands.com/bohe...-tribute-band/

Not fake:

Appreciate 0