bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-30-2023, 05:00 PM   #1
Darus.G42
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 BMW M240i  [9.25]
Mid Pipe Options?

Greetings,

I am very curious as to what is offered for exhaust modifications for the G42 M240i…

I’ve done countless searching for Mid Pipes and I cannot seem to find any…

I just want a tad bit more sound out of it for now, eventually I’ll go with the most common choice for downpipes (AA) but that’s after warrenty…

So again I leave the question, is there any Options for Mid Pipes? Or is it that there is no point of making a Mid Pipe option because there is no gain from a “After Market” option.

All my searches end up with Cat Back exhausts or Axle back…

Thanks again, sorry if this is a dumb question… very new to this platform and curious to see if I’m just missing something!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 04:58 AM   #2
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

You won’t find anyone making mid pipes because there are no resonators on our car. So aftermarket mid pipes would be pointless.

Exhaust mods are downpipe, catback, or muffler delete.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2023, 04:00 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I dont think any reputable company makes midpipes for your car, the downpipe or exhaust are the way to go

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2023, 09:28 PM   #4
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: (G42) m240ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
there are no resonators on our car
May I ask where you got that specific information from? This made me remember a diagram from the B58 technical documentation pdf where the exhaust system was labeled with both a front and rear silencer. Is the part labeled 'front silencer' not a resonator? I just assumed that was the resonator.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-01-2023, 09:37 PM   #5
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darus.G42 View Post
I just want a tad bit more sound out of it for now, eventually I’ll go with the most common choice for downpipes (AA) but that’s after warrenty…
It seems there are quite a few members on the forum that seem happy with the stock axel back exhaust with a downpipe. I'm guessing you're probably not trying to throw CEL codes by going with a AA Catted, which seems like a pretty good choice. The videos I've seen show that it adds quite a bit of rasp which I think the stock exhaust lacks.

Now if you're trying to remain within warranty and want sound, I know that if you get the M Performance (axel-back) exhaust and have this installed by your dealership this WILL NOT void warranty, or at least that's what my dealership told me. This is despite the fact that they are going to completely saw off your OEM exahust at the axel line (there are actually two dimples on your stock exhaust that show where to make the cut).

If you go the MPE route, you're probably going to want to buy that from an online reseller like GetBMWParts, etc. Some of those sites are actually just BMW dealerships in disguise selling parts at a discount as your dealership is going to charge you MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 11:09 PM   #6
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeBimmers View Post
May I ask where you got that specific information from? This made me remember a diagram from the B58 technical documentation pdf where the exhaust system was labeled with both a front and rear silencer. Is the part labeled 'front silencer' not a resonator? I just assumed that was the resonator.
https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2064925

There is a picture from the underside there.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 05:12 AM   #7
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeBimmers View Post
I’ve been under my car numerous times. There are no resonators.

You can’t trust the diagrams online as I have found that lots are incorrect for our car. Oftentimes they are using diagrams from B58 f series cars which is just plain wrong, which is the diagram you posted. It’s from an F series B58. F series had a different B58 (gen 1) engine and different exhaust setup.

Most diagrams and info out there are for the F series and the B58 that came only in the F series. G series M340 and M240 come with a B58TU (gen 2) engine which has a lot of differences.

That diagram couldn’t be more incorrect for our car. About 3 feet from our downpipe the midpipe splits into 2 pipes going to the muffler.

Also in the link above I posted a photo of the understand of our car, just in case you don’t trust me.
Appreciate 2
BG42385.50
      12-02-2023, 12:16 PM   #8
ILikeBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
I’ve been under my car numerous times. There are no resonators..
..You can’t trust the diagrams online
No yeah I believe you, I was only aware of some of the engine related differences (fuel pump) related to the technical revision on our Gen 2 platform, but no clue that included exhaust revisions. You're right, the document is a b58 doc but not a Gen 2.

Now that I think about it, a muffler delete on our cars is practically an inch short of straight piping it 😳.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 01:27 PM   #9
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Just do a downturn off the hot side of the turbo that exits behind the front wheel.
Appreciate 0