BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-29-2023, 06:04 AM   #1
TankerFlight
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subaru Outback

New and Looking for X3M Insight

Hello everyone! Just joined the forums, so forgive me as I'm sure many of my questions have probably been answered before.

I'm an Audi enthusiast by trade (had 3x S4s), now drive a Subaru (family), and I think it's time to start looking at German cars again. I'm in love (I think) with the X3M (non-competition), so looking for all your expert insight. Non-competition due to the harsh ride and negligible performance increase for the money.

1. How has reliability been on your X3M?
2. Should I buy or lease? This would be the "fun" car while I keep the Subaru.
3. Seems like these cars depreciate pretty significantly with sub-30k miles. Is that normal? If I buy, I would get a used one somewhere.
4. If you had to pick, have later model years fixed any issues from when the car came out?
5. When is the refresh? 2025, I think?
6. Any must-haves in options?
7. Is the X3M that much "better" than the M40i?

I appreciate everyone's help as I look into the X3M. Biggest thing will be convincing the wife....

Last edited by TankerFlight; 12-29-2023 at 06:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1222.50
      12-29-2023, 06:32 AM   #2
HeatJoey
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I’m In a similar boat, expect I have wife approval already lol. I can’t speak for the m as I don’t have it yet but I do have a 23 x3m40 and it’s been great so far. My only complaint is the seats are terrible but that’s not an issue with the m.

I too am looking for a slightly preowned .they are hard to find around here. I want a 22 as I like the updated tail lights etc and need as much warranty as I can get . Sorry I can’t add real value here lol but I’m curious to see answers from current owners.

Agreed they depreciate , I had one in my hands that I should have bought last month, it was a 22 with 8k, cpo, asking 67k. I don’t recall its original msrp but it had comp package so I assume it was just about it over 80k. I guess it’s a pay to play kind of deal lol. It’s not any worse than my current m40 that I paid 63k for and now it seems it’s worth about 48-49 so basically same depreciation as an M? Mine is only 7 months old lol
Previous rides '23 MBW X3 30i, '22 Charger Hellcat Triple Nickel, '21 Charger Widebody Scat Pack F8, '21 DD R/T White, '19 Challenger Widebody Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8, '18 Audi SQ5, '18 Daytona 392, '16 Scat Pack Granite, '15 Durango R/T Blacktop, '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue, '12 Audi Q5, '10 Mustang, '08 BMW E90 M3, '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 06:50 AM   #3
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21'-x3m40i 23'-m4c 24'-x3mc

GF has a 2021 M40i. Great vehicle. Pretty fast/sporty and still very utilitarian. My biggest single complaint about that vehicle is that you have to fumble around for sport mode on the console. No "M" button on steering wheel.

I just bought a 2024 X3Mc - it's a car you shouldn't "talk" yourself into. Very fast. Burns plenty of gas. If you want a sports car/muscle car that subs as a utilitarian vehicle. That is the one. Super practical or even practical?? No not really.

You need to drive both.
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1222.50
      12-29-2023, 09:15 PM   #4
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

My wife has a '22 X3M Competition currently 22k miles. She purchased it used with 15k miles.

1. Only regular maintenance so far, no issues.

2. I've never leased a vehicle, so I can't comment.

3. Yes they do. My wife paid right at $20k less than it would've cost to purchase the same optioned vehicle brand new. That's a pretty big hit for 1 year old and 15k miles, imo.

4. I much prefer iDrive 7 in her X3MC to the iDrive 8 in my new '23 M2. It's much more user friendly & intuitive. I also prefer actual buttons for certain things like heated/ventilated seats vs having to scroll through the screen to turn those things on/off. iDrive 8 has so many useless apps to scroll through to simply try to find vehicle settings. I don't need a Dominos Pizza app in my car, for example.

6. Personal preference. All my vehicles have Head Up Display, so I now hate driving vehicles without it. Some people have to have the adaptive cruise control, whereas I don't like it at all. My wife's X3MC has the Executive Pkg which is nice tho we turn off the gesture control feature. She has front ventilated seats, which I don't think work that great compared to other vehicles we've had with that feature. I wouldn't pay the $500 for it. I also wouldn't pay for the wireless charging pad as it basically just overheats your phone.

7. My wife drove the M40i first and was not impressed at all. If she didn't see the MC, she would've left and looked for an X5. The clueless sales guy kept trying to convince her to buy the M40i for the cushier ride, less power, etc. He clearly didn't know who he was talking to

I can't compare the ride quality between the X3M and X3MC, but I'll say the tires make a difference. Her MC had summer high-performance ZP tires on it, and I recently replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4s. The ride is noticeably better in all suspension settings.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1222.50
      12-30-2023, 06:21 AM   #5
HeatJoey
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
My wife has a '22 X3M Competition currently 22k miles. She purchased it used with 15k miles.

1. Only regular maintenance so far, no issues.

2. I've never leased a vehicle, so I can't comment.

3. Yes they do. My wife paid right at $20k less than it would've cost to purchase the same optioned vehicle brand new. That's a pretty big hit for 1 year old and 15k miles, imo.

4. I much prefer iDrive 7 in her X3MC to the iDrive 8 in my new '23 M2. It's much more user friendly & intuitive. I also prefer actual buttons for certain things like heated/ventilated seats vs having to scroll through the screen to turn those things on/off. iDrive 8 has so many useless apps to scroll through to simply try to find vehicle settings. I don't need a Dominos Pizza app in my car, for example.

6. Personal preference. All my vehicles have Head Up Display, so I now hate driving vehicles without it. Some people have to have the adaptive cruise control, whereas I don't like it at all. My wife's X3MC has the Executive Pkg which is nice tho we turn off the gesture control feature. She has front ventilated seats, which I don't think work that great compared to other vehicles we've had with that feature. I wouldn't pay the $500 for it. I also wouldn't pay for the wireless charging pad as it basically just overheats your phone.

7. My wife drove the M40i first and was not impressed at all. If she didn't see the MC, she would've left and looked for an X5. The clueless sales guy kept trying to convince her to buy the M40i for the cushier ride, less power, etc. He clearly didn't know who he [...]
This is what I’m looking for ! Now that I’ve made up my mind to get the m, I see none Availabke , which is fine as I’ll be patient and wait. Thanks for the info
Previous rides '23 MBW X3 30i, '22 Charger Hellcat Triple Nickel, '21 Charger Widebody Scat Pack F8, '21 DD R/T White, '19 Challenger Widebody Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8, '18 Audi SQ5, '18 Daytona 392, '16 Scat Pack Granite, '15 Durango R/T Blacktop, '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue, '12 Audi Q5, '10 Mustang, '08 BMW E90 M3, '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 09:13 AM   #6
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

I'll also add, my wife changes vehicles every 2-3 years, but puts a lot of miles on them due to work, thus no lease. We purchased this used because of the large depreciation and no real "deals" on new.

Her previous 4 vehicles we purchased brand new because we were able to get significant $$ off that allowed us to not lose much when we trade in. We also trade in because we get a nice sales tax break.

For the X3MC she traded a '23 Grand Cherokee L Summit 4x4 that was only 11 months old. We ordered it for 4% below invoice and with the trade-in of her previous vehicle plus sales tax savings we actually came out ahead with $ in our pocket.

Like I mentioned above, the MSRP of my wife's vehicle now is $88,695 and she paid $67,995 I think. I wouldn't buy one of these brand new unless you were planning to keep it for some time.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1222.50
      12-30-2023, 12:35 PM   #7
HeatJoey
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
I'll also add, my wife changes vehicles every 2-3 years, but puts a lot of miles on them due to work, thus no lease. We purchased this used because of the large depreciation and no real "deals" on new.

Her previous 4 vehicles we purchased brand new because we were able to get significant $$ off that allowed us to not lose much when we trade in. We also trade in because we get a nice sales tax break.

For the X3MC she traded a '23 Grand Cherokee L Summit 4x4 that was only 11 months old. We ordered it for 4% below invoice and with the trade-in of her previous vehicle plus sales tax savings we actually came out ahead with $ in our pocket.

Like I mentioned above, the MSRP of my wife's vehicle now is $88,695 and she paid $67,995 I think. I wouldn't buy one of these brand new unless you were planning to keep it for some time.
Yes sounds about right. I’m in a situation too where I use it for business and personal so it gets lots of miles. There is an x4m that I just found my dealer has, might go see it even though I like the x3 shape much better, it’s also yellow which scares me a little lol, but it does do a good job of being bold and not looking like every other suv around here lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 05:41 PM   #8
TankerFlight
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the replies. I'm definitely leaning the X3M and pretty surprised on the depreciation. A 2022 coming off lease is at least $20k off MSRP. Why is that?

I don't see other performance SUVs dropping like this. The GLE AMG is still up close to $100k and the RS5 sedans hold their value pretty well. I'm not complaining as it helps me and to convince the wife (lol), but curious why this is the case.
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1222.50
      12-30-2023, 06:34 PM   #9
Potatohead-M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

A GLE AMG competes with an X5M, so yes it’s going to be more expensive. The X3/4M competes with the GLC63s. AMG typically depreciate like bombs too. RS’s aren’t usually as bad because they don’t produce as many.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 09:32 PM   #10
cardtables
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC, 2020 X7 40i

Regarding depreciation, I bought a 2022 in February of 2023, with 7000 miles on it, for $15K under MSRP. Their loss is your gain if you go the lightly used route. Absolutely love mine, still get giddy everytime I hop in.
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1222.50
      12-31-2023, 12:26 AM   #11
Potatohead-M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Mine was 108k new (Canada) and I got it at 2.75 years old and 44k km for 74k.
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1222.50
      12-31-2023, 07:13 AM   #12
TankerFlight
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardtables View Post
Regarding depreciation, I bought a 2022 in February of 2023, with 7000 miles on it, for $15K under MSRP. Their loss is your gain if you go the lightly used route. Absolutely love mine, still get giddy everytime I hop in.
Yea, that's what I'm hoping for. I think it would be better to do this than lease a new one for $15-20k more overall.

My main concern is maintenance and reliability. How hard are y'all driving the car? That will have an effect over long-term. How was a potential used car treated? Obviously you want to have fun. I see threads here with oil leaks, and that's not good. I've only had Audis and they've been solid, but I also have them since near new. I've never had a BMW.
Appreciate 0