bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-05-2024, 05:19 AM   #1
Rag9000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘23 m240i

IAW Cold Air Intake

I saw some reviews on the Dinan that the sound was disappointing and they were way behind in shipping product out, so I was kind of waffling on whether to get an intake at all. I ended up going with the IAW intake. I don’t have much experience working on cars but it was a pretty damn simple install. There’s one tube down underneath that might require a pair of pliers to grab but it’s NBD. The sound is fantastic IMO- definitely audible in the cabin. I’ve had it installed for a few weeks now and can’t stop doing pulls to hear the turbo. It sounds mean
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
VegasG42373.50
grooveK111.00
      03-05-2024, 11:26 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats but its the same design as the MAD which costs half the price and comes with a lifetime warranty.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 01:09 PM   #3
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Congrats but its the same design as the MAD which costs half the price and comes with a lifetime warranty.
Most of these intakes seem to be very similar Made in China designs.

Do you know if there are any differences in the cone filter ? Or do they mostly all just use a generic cone filter ?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 01:13 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasG42 View Post

Do you know if there are any differences in the cone filter ? Or do they mostly all just use a generic cone filter ?
the filters are always going to be different, you can easily tell the difference by putting them side by side and comparing the sound it makes. the higher flow filters will have a louder sound.

When you are buying a product directly from China, you are most likely getting a copy of a copy of a copy. With each copy, the quality goes down a little bit.

If the price is too good to turn down and you are on a limited budget, you can give it a try but when you have brands like MAD offering products at a very reasonable price, you are better off getting it from a US company that has a reputation to keep and will offer solid customer support when needed.

Appreciate 1
VegasG42373.50
      03-08-2024, 01:18 PM   #5
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
the filters are always going to be different, you can easily tell the difference by putting them side by side and comparing the sound it makes. the higher flow filters will have a louder sound.

When you are buying a product directly from China, you are most likely getting a copy of a copy of a copy. With each copy, the quality goes down a little bit.

If the price is too good to turn down and you are on a limited budget, you can give it a try but when you have brands like MAD offering products at a very reasonable price, you are better off getting it from a US company that has a reputation to keep and will offer solid customer support when needed.
Nice , thank you. MAD seems to be the best compromise of price and quality. For basically something most of us are just buying for the sound.

Do you know if MAD makes a turbo intake pipe?

And in your opinion , do aftermarket turbo intake pipes make any different for the G42 B58 ?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 01:20 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice , thank you. MAD seems to be the best compromise of price and quality. For basically something most of us are just buying for the sound.

Do you know if MAD makes a turbo intake pipe?

And in your opinion , do aftermarket turbo intake pipes make any different for the G42 B58 ?
yes the inlet will improve the sound and air flow, mad does make a G chassis B58 inlet, the part number on our website is MAD-2078
sorry I'm not allowed to post links on here but my website is in my signature

Appreciate 1
VegasG42373.50
      03-08-2024, 01:30 PM   #7
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
yes the inlet will improve the sound and air flow, mad does make a G chassis B58 inlet, the part number on our website is MAD-2078
sorry I'm not allowed to post links on here but my website is in my signature
Thank you. I will check it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 01:46 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. I will check it out.
My pleasure

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 06:18 PM   #9
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

Quote:
The IAW intake is superior to the MAD. The mad top plate doesnt work. The wire loom on that side of the engine bay doesnt fit theough the opening on some cars. Secondly, the IAW filter is USA made. The mad one is chinese. The iaw uses black oxide stainless steel hardware. The iaw includes the turbo inlet. The list goes on. Also, IAW is a usa company that stocks parts in their warehouse. They have a phone number you can call and people answer.

I get you are posting to push a product but lying about another company’s product and name is unprofessional without knowing Who they are.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 06:39 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane435 View Post
The IAW intake is superior to the MAD. The mad top plate doesnt work. The wire loom on that side of the engine bay doesnt fit theough the opening on some cars. Secondly, the IAW filter is USA made. The mad one is chinese. The iaw uses black oxide stainless steel hardware. The iaw includes the turbo inlet. The list goes on. Also, IAW is a usa company that stocks parts in their warehouse. They have a phone number you can call and people answer.

I get you are posting to push a product but lying about another company’s product and name is unprofessional without knowing Who they are.
Let's keep the discussion respectful, my friend. There's no need for unnecessary aggression.

I stated the obvious. the design is similar to MAD's, which is also less expensive, a fact that stands.

The manufacturing location of the filter, whether in the US or elsewhere or the use of stainless steel hardware, doesn't change that MAD, IAW, and MST share the same design.

It's perfectly fine to discuss differences in finish or hardware and to have preferences in which intake is best. This is, after all, a car forum. However, calling me dishonest for highlighting a design similarity, which is quite evident, seems a bit much.

I guess the design looks similar just to me

MAD
Name:  mad50682__45975__51892.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  121.3 KB

IAW
Name:  IAWB58TUCAI00008-Revised-6.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  207.3 KB

Last edited by mike@x-ph.com; 03-15-2024 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 06:49 PM   #11
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

Quote:
Let's keep the discussion respectful, my friend. There's no need for unnecessary aggression.

I stated the obvious. the design is similar to MAD's, which is also less expensive, a fact that stands.

The manufacturing location of the filter, whether in the US or elsewhere or the use of stainless steel hardware, doesn't change that MAD, IAW, and MST share the same design.

It's perfectly fine to discuss differences in finish or hardware and to have preferences in which intake is best. This is, after all, a car forum. However, calling me dishonest for highlighting a design similarity, which is quite evident, seems a bit much.

I guess the design looks similar just to me

MAD
Attachment 3410851

IAW
Attachment 3410852

You also implied the iaw product comes from china. That is also not true. Mine came directly from the states. The designs are similar but one is superior and the price reflects that. No disrespect intended!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 06:55 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You also implied the iaw product comes from china. That is also not true. Mine came directly from the states. The designs are similar but one is superior and the price reflects that.
Quote:

Quote:

I wasn't addressing IAW in my response; I have never heard of them until i read this thread. We were discussing the differences between purchasing an intake directly from China versus buying from a US-based company that manufactures in China.

I mentioned that if the price is exceptionally good, it's worth considering. This comment wasn't about IAW, as their pricing is higher than MAD's, making it a different conversation altogether.

Quote:
No disrespect intended!
Im glad thats not the case

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 02:45 PM   #13
bimmerstar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340xi

i have researched both of these intakes (as well as MST as it is similar) in depth to try to find the differences. the biggest difference is the IAW intake comes with inlet which the MAD or MST doesn't come with. There is sound dampening and restriction in the OEM inlet which the IAW inlet resolves. the minute you add inlet to Mad (MAD doesn't sell so you'd have to buy IAW, MST, or Paragon Engineering for $140+ship). I have seen reviews the MST inlet doesn't fit so they were out of my consideration. The $250 MAD intake becomes $390+ ship with inlet from one of the other sources. For $30 or less if you consider shipping and tax id rather just buy the complete kit with USA filter with option and the stainless hardware etc from a USA company with someone I can talk to if I have issues.

Second, the IAW kit includes a USA made filter which IMO is the biggest selling point. The filter is the most important part of the kit and I feel better knowing its made in the USA with better quality control. I have worked in OEM manufacturing and quality control and tolerance standards for years and cheapening the filter material or density, mold gaps, plastic material choice etc could be many ways the over seas filters can be made "cheaper" and reduce protection for your engine.

For me the final deciding factor was that IAW was local to me in Michigan. I called them up and was able to pick up the intake next day. they explained to me the difference between dry and oiled filters. i ended up with the oiled as Michigan is not super dusty and you get a little more flow with oiled and can clean and re use them.

@mike you should check these guys out if you haven't heard of them. I have bought from numerous companies (including X-PH and IAW has great customer service and the products I have got have always been great. I may be biased because I am happy to have a local place near me with good stuff but I have had sub par experiences with plenty of other online stores. its hard to find good parts now a days with the influx of drop ship stores and aliexpress/ebay sellers pawning junk to the uneducated American consumer.
2017 W205 Black C43 AMG - E40 FBO No Turbo | 0-60 3.21 | 1/4 11.18@124 | 60-130 9.17
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 03:11 PM   #14
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

There is no less than 5 sources to purchase the exact same Chinese made intake for the G42.

And as far as the IAW kit having a US made filter - Do we have any more information on that ? Any idea of the brand ? If it was a major high quality brand such as K&N , you would think IAW would be eager to advertise this.

Name:  Screenshot 2024-03-24 130611.png
Views: 119
Size:  342.0 KB

Exact same intake being sold with different branding.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 11:00 AM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerstar View Post
@mike you should check these guys out if you haven't heard of them
i will reach out to them

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 11:23 AM   #16
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
i have researched both of these intakes (as well as MST as it is similar) in depth to try to find the differences. the biggest difference is the IAW intake comes with inlet which the MAD or MST doesn't come with. There is sound dampening and restriction in the OEM inlet which the IAW inlet resolves. the minute you add inlet to Mad (MAD doesn't sell so you'd have to buy IAW, MST, or Paragon Engineering for $140+ship). I have seen reviews the MST inlet doesn't fit so they were out of my consideration. The $250 MAD intake becomes $390+ ship with inlet from one of the other sources. For $30 or less if you consider shipping and tax id rather just buy the complete kit with USA filter with option and the stainless hardware etc from a USA company with someone I can talk to if I have issues.

Second, the IAW kit includes a USA made filter which IMO is the biggest selling point. The filter is the most important part of the kit and I feel better knowing its made in the USA with better quality control. I have worked in OEM manufacturing and quality control and tolerance standards for years and cheapening the filter material or density, mold gaps, plastic material choice etc could be many ways the over seas filters can be made "cheaper" and reduce protection for your engine.

For me the final deciding factor was that IAW was local to me in Michigan. I called them up and was able to pick up the intake next day. they explained to me the difference between dry and oiled filters. i ended up with the oiled as Michigan is not super dusty and you get a little more flow with oiled and can clean and re use them.

@mike you should check these guys out if you haven't heard of them. I have bought from numerous companies (including X-PH and IAW has great customer service and the products I have got have always been great. I may be biased because I am happy to have a local place near me with good stuff but I have had sub par experiences with plenty of other online stores. its hard to find good parts now a days with the influx of drop ship stores and aliexpress/ebay sellers pawning junk to the uneducated American consumer.

Quote:
You also implied the iaw product comes from china. That is also not true. Mine came directly from the states. The designs are similar but one is superior and the price reflects that. No disrespect intended!
First off are do you work for IAW? After a quick search it kinda sounds like you do based on all of your vehicles being displayed on their website.
2020 G20 Tanzanite Blue II M340 xDrive -
2017 W205 Black C43 AMG - https://infiniteautowerks.com/gallery/

If you own or work for the company you should not be posting as a customer.

We are a USA based company with all of our support and sales teams also based in the USA. While many of our products are not made in the USA all of our parts ship 100% from our local warehouse and backed by a lifetime guarantee .

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 03-25-2024 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
speed817128.00
      03-25-2024, 02:48 PM   #17
bimmerstar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
First off are do you work for IAW? After a quick search it kinda sounds like you do based on all of your vehicles being displayed on their website.
2020 G20 Tanzanite Blue II M340 xDrive -
2017 W205 Black C43 AMG - https://infiniteautowerks.com/gallery/

If you own or work for the company you should not be posting as a customer.

We are a USA based company with all of our support and sales teams also based in the USA. While many of our products are not made in the USA all of our parts ship 100% from our local warehouse and backed by a lifetime guarantee .

Hello

I am not affiliated with Insane 435. not sure why i was quoted with them.

Speaking for myself I have gotten close with the guys at Infinite Autowerks over the last few years. I am even friends with them now so of course I will support thier brand. They helped me with most of the upgrades on my C43 and now under IAW they have used my vehicles for a lot of pics and development as most companies do. I really like what they do. i work for a supplier here in Detroit and I am picky about the stuff that goes on my cars as I know what it takes to design to OEM requirements. Yes I give them all the rights to use pics of my cars that i provided them. No problem here with that! I am always happy to support local business and will support on forums as I see fit.

Not trying to start anything with any companies, I just evaluated my options and I still think with my wallet in mind. The IAW setup just worked well for me that's all.

I have been eyeing the MAD exhaust as IAW doesn't offer exhaust and my standard non MPE exhaust just isn't cutting it. I can appreciate companies that are here in the US so I hope all well and didn't mean to upset anyone just expressing my opinion. IAW has helped me a lot and I will continue to vouch for them on the forum and lend the car whenever they need a test fit as long as I get a deal unfortunately they also got an M2 so wont be able to get deals for test fitting on my M2 parts
2017 W205 Black C43 AMG - E40 FBO No Turbo | 0-60 3.21 | 1/4 11.18@124 | 60-130 9.17
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 11:18 AM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@mike you should check these guys out if you haven't heard of them
I spoke to the owners yesterday, and we are considering offering their products. Just finalizing the last few details.

It sounds like the filter is made in the US, and the rest of the intake is made overseas (not surprising given the similar design to numerous other brands).

Appreciate 0