Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Weekend Wheel Project! Please help.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
JoeDirte
Blee
Poland
Rep
Drives: e90

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Weekend Wheel Project! Please help.

Ok, so after weeks of thinking about it, i have decided to paint my rims.....myself. I was contemplating between powdercoating and painting them, but i want to paint them first see how i like the black on black look.

So you guys have to help me make this as perfect as possible:

-What kind of paint? Rim paint, Normal body part paint, or...
-How many coats of the paint? and Clear coat?
-What kind of sandpaper? I was thinking 600 then like 800
-Should I use primer?

Also any tips and any info is greatly appreciated!

Please DO NOT reply by saying "Get them Powdercoated" or "Get them
painted professionally"

I have already decided to paint them, and once again any help is greatly
appreciated!

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I think their is a DIY on this you may want to try a search. If not here I am sure you will find it somewhere else. The key to success will be in the preparation otherwise the paint will just peel off. I have seen wheels painted when the tires were not removed and for the most part they did not look great so that would be a decision point you will need to make.

My advice would be to do what you don't want to do but having said that if you don't like the results you can always have a pro do it so I don't think you have much to lose I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
JoeDirte
Blee
Poland
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I think their is a DIY on this you may want to try a search. If not here I am sure you will find it somewhere else. The key to success will be in the preparation otherwise the paint will just peel off. I have seen wheels painted when the tires were not removed and for the most part they did not look great so that would be a decision point you will need to make.

My advice would be to do what you don't want to do but having said that if you don't like the results you can always have a pro do it so I don't think you have much to lose I suppose.
you're correct it is in the DIY, but i just wanted more than one posters help, rather than just one person telling you what to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
You should definetely prime it. It's probably a good idea to sand the surface before hand so the primer has a good surface to adhere to. TheN put on like 3 coats of paint and then allot of clear coat. Your wheels will be exposed to allot of extremes and you want that top coat of clear to be think so if it chips, it's only the clear that's chipping not the paint. I hope your using spray paint. It's the only way you'll get a smooth finish. Good luck. It's a risky DIY!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

My only advice is to be careful with some of the advice because their are some folks on here that will give advice without the knowledge to back it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
JoeDirte
Blee
Poland
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
My only advice is to be careful with some of the advice because their are some folks on here that will give advice without the knowledge to back it up.
That is true, but im willing to bet most of the people on here know more than me. Thanks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
You should definetely prime it. It's probably a good idea to sand the surface before hand so the primer has a good surface to adhere to. TheN put on like 3 coats of paint and then allot of clear coat. Your wheels will be exposed to allot of extremes and you want that top coat of clear to be think so if it chips, it's only the clear that's chipping not the paint. I hope your using spray paint. It's the only way you'll get a smooth finish. Good luck. It's a risky DIY!

lol of course im using spray paint. Thanks, hopefully i dont mess it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

Check out www.rimpainter.com also has a clip on youtube.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
JoeDirte
Blee
Poland
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
ok so this got moved, hopefully you guys in the tire and wheel forum will help me.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
JoeDirte
Blee
Poland
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
....anywaysss
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
envision
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 LCI Msport

no advice here, just want to with you good luck! pretty brave of you to try...