Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > wheel prep for winter...

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

wheel prep for winter...

Hey,
Let's say you are running a pretty decent set of wheels for winter and you want to make sure the salt, grime etc don't affect it or atleast reduce it's influence...what would you guys suggest (other than store 'em away).

few pointers i've already received..
-you shouldn't use wheel wax on chrome rims cuz chrome needs to breathe. My wheels are hyperblack so I'm not sure if that applies.

-wash wheels right away after driving in the winter (doubt I can do that often but gonna try)

-wheel cleaner you use should be non-caustic and non-acidic...anyone know of a product that has both of these properties

-dry wheels after wash (wet wheels can build up road salt and other debris even faster)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Hey,
Let's say you are running a pretty decent set of wheels for winter and you want to make sure the salt, grime etc don't affect it or atleast reduce it's influence...what would you guys suggest (other than store 'em away).

few pointers i've already received..
-you shouldn't use wheel wax on chrome rims cuz chrome needs to breathe. My wheels are hyperblack so I'm not sure if that applies.
Really? Never heard that before.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Really? Never heard that before.
You didn't know that chrome is a living organism?

Whoever told the OP that was clueless. The other advice was pretty correct. P21S makes a decent wheel cleaner but I don't know well it does on hyperblack (isn't that a matte finish?)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Thanks guys for the pointers ... will put a coating of wheel wax on.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
SG07
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Someone told me I should stick with painted rims for winters as the clearcoat on machined face rims are not strong enough as a protection and the rims will quickly deteriorate. That said, I am on the verge of getting a set of machined face gunmetal coloured rims for winter use because painted rims are just not very nice to look at. Am I in trouble with these rims? Are they gonna all rust out after 1 winter?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Seems common sense on several points: clean as frequently as possible, apply wax or sealant if possible, etc.
In winter I try to hand wash when the weather allows, but will take the cars through a touchless machine wash otherwise. The tip about drying the wheels is a valid tip - if nothing else, it prevents water spots from forming. I agree that water mixed with dirt, grime, brake dust, etc. will dirty a wheel much faster than a dry wheel.

Anyone ever use the new ArmorAll product for wheels? A spray that you apply that basically coats the wheel like teflon. I'm thinking about trying it out on the winter set - especially the inner hub of the wheel that is hard to clean.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
We recommend cleaning our wheels generously with soap and water. Leaving road salts and harsh road debris can damage a painted or polished finish over time. We have found that diluted P21S has worked well for our wheels along with a coating of wheel wax to help with cleaning later down the road.

-Charles@VMRWheels
      10-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #8
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
You didn't know that chrome is a living organism?

Whoever told the OP that was clueless.
LMAO , +1

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0