Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > A little winter tire help.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-24-2007, 10:07 PM   #1
beauderek
Client Advisor/Radio DJ
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 330xi/2019 bmw 230i

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
A little winter tire help.

So my area is supposed to get some more snow and I want to change my stock all season runflats to winter tires. We're supposed to get hit on Sunday. The dealership is closed and the owners manual says to have the dealer do your tires.
So can I buy tires at a place like Discount Tire and have them mount and balance them? Could that void the warranty? Should I get runflats? Will they know how to install runflats on the BMW properly? Does anyone have a couple tire suggestions?
Sorry for the stupid questions but I don't have much experience in this situation. Thanks for any help.
f22 230i delivered 12/27/18/Seaside Blue/Oyster Sensatec/Manual/Heated front seats, Track & Handling package/CF mirrors and rear spoiler/M Sport front bumper/Shadowline trim/M Performance shift knob/1 Series (f21) M Sport steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
montreal_bimmer
OEMconcept
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
buy yourself good winter tires, preferably mounted on steelies, its really hard to get the run flats off your stock wheels and they charge you extra for it. mount them yourself. no need to go to bmw for this.

excellent winter tires for your car are Toyo Garit's, Good Year Ultra Grip GW3, Bridgestone Blizzak's, any Pirelli winter's, Dunlop M3's, and Yokohama AVS V901.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
beauderek
Client Advisor/Radio DJ
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal_bimmer View Post
buy yourself good winter tires, preferably mounted on steelies, its really hard to get the run flats off your stock wheels and they charge you extra for it. mount them yourself. no need to go to bmw for this.

excellent winter tires for your car are Toyo Garit's, Good Year Ultra Grip GW3, Bridgestone Blizzak's, any Pirelli winter's, Dunlop M3's, and Yokohama AVS V901.
Thanks for the info. I have style 17" 158 wheels that came on my xi. I was hoping to put winters on those and then buy a summer wheel (probably csl rep) and tire. Could I go to a local tire store and have them put something like Blizzaks on my 158's?
f22 230i delivered 12/27/18/Seaside Blue/Oyster Sensatec/Manual/Heated front seats, Track & Handling package/CF mirrors and rear spoiler/M Sport front bumper/Shadowline trim/M Performance shift knob/1 Series (f21) M Sport steering wheel

Last edited by beauderek; 02-25-2007 at 01:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 11:36 PM   #4
montreal_bimmer
OEMconcept
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
yes of course no problem at all.... you can bring it anywhere ou want
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 01:58 AM   #5
beauderek
Client Advisor/Radio DJ
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal_bimmer View Post
yes of course no problem at all.... you can bring it anywhere ou want
Yeah, but is that recommended?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 06:53 AM   #6
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauderek View Post
Yeah, but is that recommended?
BMW recommends you do everything with one of their dealers. I would recommend you do many things there but not everything is necessary or even desired. Tires/wheels are easily done elsewhere, and if done properly, won't void any factory warranty. It's hard to image a situation where a new tire/wheel combo will void a new car warranty, although I suppose it's possible. It's possible Lake Michigan will rise an flood all of Chicago also. Seriously though, tire at the dealer will be out of control expensive and you will have limited choices. Frankly when I checked into winters last fall, they did not even seem that interested in wasting their time. I go Blizzak LM22 RFT mounted on 156's. LM22's are pretty good and generally quiet for a snow. There better then the all seasons but I would not stay home just because I had the all seasons on. But I'm a seasoned snow driver and learned to drive during the winter at 16. I won't mention the place because I will not do business with them again, nor will I recommend anyone to them. Tire Rack ( I suggest using the link on e90 post) has a lot of options. Good wheels and tires balanced on a Hunter road force and you will be good to go.

Body work is another item. BMW recommends one of their certified shops. Here is a link as to how they certify.

http://www.wagnercertifiedcollision....rt_program.pdf

I went to my closest center (30 miles away) and while I might end up there, I found one equal and one way better closer to me. I'm just not all that impressed with the guys I have seen or talked to there to date. The best place is more of a craft place and is a bit more difficult to work with because they don't work with insurance much. My point is I used the info on the certified program pdf to ask a lot of questions and find a shop that could do equal or better work. BMW work necessary? NO
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #7
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

To the OP, please search this forum as this discussion has been beaten to death. But to help you out, the choice to use or not use runflats is yours. There are many opinions on this topic. In my case, I decided to go without RFTs and put a mobility kit in the truck. Going with aftermarket rims will not void your warranty in any way (unless you purchased the tire warranty from the dealer at time of purchase). I would use the OEM rims as your winter rims (as you suggested) and use the CSL reps for summer tires. Any good tire shop in a metro area should already have some experience in dealing with RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #8
Lucid4000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i AW Sport 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i Sport  [0.00]
This is what I did. I use my 162's as my winter setup than I have my summer setup. I use Bridgestone Blizzak's which are probably one of the best all around winter tire you can get. But all the others mentioned above are also good.

Also, I only go to BMW for scheduled services. If I can avoid going to them I do. They over charge for work and really there is no other reason to go there.

Mobile Addictions
718.877.7700 or info@mobile-addictions.com
www.mobile-addictions.com
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
beauderek
Client Advisor/Radio DJ
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Good information, everyone. Thanks. I know the topic's been covered, but I wanted some fresh and possible local thoughts. I appreciate all the help. I'll probably buy online at Tire Rack.
Appreciate 0