Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Non-RF tires: Conti DWS, Michelin HydroEdge or...?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
abcommercial
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Non-RF tires: Conti DWS, Michelin HydroEdge or...?

I'm at 110k on my '06 325i, and about to buy my fourth set of tires. I'm doing so many miles, I'm not getting the Continental run flats this time, and looking for a longer-wearing non-RF tire that will save me money either by being lower cost and/or lasting longer.

Based on reviews (which are SO subjective) I have a couple of ideas:

Continental DWS (rated for 50k miles)
Michelin HydroEdge (rated for 90k miles)

Most of my miles are commute miles. I don't do any sport driving. I just want good performance for evasive maneuvers, like sudden lane-changes.

I am driving in Houston, Texas, which is hot and humid and often rainy.

Ideas??

Thanks

Last edited by abcommercial; 05-24-2012 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Switched from stock RFT to DWS this past December. They are a little soft compared to the RFT for cornering, but way better in every way.

Quiet, pretty good in rain and puddles, great traction on dry, Happy with them and they appear to be wearing well(not much tread worn off) Would buy them again. I dont know about the michelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcommercial View Post
I'm at 110k on my '06 325i, and about to buy my fourth set of tires. I'm doing so many miles, I'm not getting the Continental run flats this time, and looking for a longer-wearing non-RT tire that will save me money either by being lower cost and/or lasting longer.

Based on reviews (which are SO subjective) I have a couple of ideas:

Continental DWS (rated for 50k miles)
Michelin HydroEdge (rated for 90k miles)

Most of my miles are commute miles. I don't do any sport driving. I just want good performance for evasive maneuvers, like sudden lane-changes.

I am driving in Houston, Texas, which is hot and humid and often rainy.

Ideas??

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Hey,

A search will do you well ;-)

I posted an initial comparison between the Pilot Sport A/S and the DWS last weekend. The DWS won... and I'm in Austin btw.

Keep in mind the tire ratings/warranties are halved due to the staggered setup.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Flyer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92xi

I've been driving on DWS for 45k and still have a ton of tread left. I'm very happy with the tires. I run mine with some extra psi and it really stiffens up the sidewall. I use about 45 psi. They are rated at 51 max.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

Check out the Kuhmo LX Platinums. High tread rating and pretty quiet. Not a dedicated summer tire, but good on wear and in all-season conditions.

Discount Tire is running $100 gift card on Fri/Sat and you can get manufacturer's rebates on top.
      05-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
abcommercial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys! I was pleased to find some responses/suggestions from y'all already after returning from my workout tonight.

I've searched DWS until my mind is numb. On the tire sites, there are so many 5-stars and so many 1-star ratings and it's really hard to sift thru it all. I'm happy to receive some specific Q&A targeted to my specific use.

@ EYE4SPEED:

Thanks for the tip on the $100 gift card. I pre-negotiated a very good price on the DWS at Discount Tire with plans to take delivery on Friday, and there was no mention of the gift card. I see no reason why I shouldn't qualify for this card on top of the negotiated price.

I'm going to be on-my-guard about the reports of occasional defects with this model, but I will request the special "force matching" balancing technique I saw in one of the articles.

(since I don't have the Sport option I think I get the full warranty.)

Last edited by abcommercial; 05-24-2012 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcommercial View Post
I'm going to be on-my-guard about the reports of occasional defects with this model, but I will request the special "force matching" balancing technique I saw in one of the articles.
That's a good thing to look out for and I'm glad you picked that up in other recent threads. At least you'll be getting these local and not through the mail which makes a huge difference if something doesn't end up feeling right.

Good luck and respond back with your thoughts next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
abcommercial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

At the risk of being redundant (I mentioned this in a related thread) but for completeness of THIS particular thread, I am very happy with the switch from run-flat (RF) tires to non-RF tires. I ended up going with the DWS. Just driving off the tire lot, they felt eerily smoother...but after a weekend of adjusting they feel like the new normal to me. Much smoother over moderate bumps, and I no longer feel and hear the texture of freeway or road surface. I have to keep in mind, the two sensations I am comparing are the two extremes of (1) nearly worn-out RFs with their stiffer sidewalls and very little tread remaining for cushion and (2) brand new, softer side-wall all-season passenger tires with new, cushy tread.

No negative issues with the DWS tires like have been anecdotally reported in some reviews. They roll very smooth and well-balanced up to 90mph so far.

Drive-out price was much cheaper, too, than RFs, and I'm expecting longer tire life.
Appreciate 0