E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > JB4, Cobb or Remap???

06-11-2012, 02:26 AM   #1
335tim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i se montego blue

JB4, Cobb or Remap???

Im new to this modding stuff and im a bit confused.....

I know I can pick up a JB4 for £319 from juiced up tuning . I love the look of the way you can control things and switch maps from the steering wheel etc but having looked at the install vid on youtube, I dont really feel comfortable messing with the main ecu wires in the engine bay myself.

Then theres the Cobb which from what I have read, has great feedback and rave reviews but there is no UK distributor and it means I have to import it from the US and that will be a lot more expensive than a JB4

Then theres an evolve remap which I have read lots of good things about but being new to this, am completely unsure what one I would go for, how much cost would be involved etc.

Im sure you knowledgeable people can help???
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #2
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Doesn't Neil@juiceduptuning also now sell Cobb?

Jb4 install is easy, the guide makes it look complicated but it's really simple.

Really depends on how you want to mod the car going forwards. Whether you have a warranty etc. Are you just going tune only? Or in future likely to buy bolt ons like Intercoolers and downpipes? Need Meth integration?

Do you want to read/delete codes etc?
      06-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #3
335tim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
Doesn't Neil@juiceduptuning also now sell Cobb?

Jb4 install is easy, the guide makes it look complicated but it's really simple.

Really depends on how you want to mod the car going forwards. Whether you have a warranty etc. Are you just going tune only? Or in future likely to buy bolt ons like Intercoolers and downpipes? Need Meth integration?

Do you want to read/delete codes etc?
Hi Phil, thanks for reply....

No, Neil doesnt sell Cobb, he tried but Cobb didnt get back to him.

I dont have a BMW warranty, just a crappy aftermarket one the indy dealer gave me but if i got a JB4, I can delete any trace of change anyway cant I?

I just want to tune I think, dont have the cash at the moment to go down the bolt ons, intercoolers etc route.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:15 AM   #4
335tim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Do you have a JB4 Phil? Would you recommend it? Does the extra power take it out of brakes etc?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
B005T3D-G
Class Leading Reprobate
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Impreza STi - E92 335i (56)

Garage List
On a stock car running Map 1 (JB4) the stock brakes will be fine unless your going to track it. Anything beyond that I'd recommend fast road pads (EBC, Ferodo etc) and upgrade your brake fluid as a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
rickyjones1209
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

this is something I am becoming increasingly more interested in.

for me the main thing i want to know is what boost will the car be running? I imagine the maximum power output will be similar across all 3 options but i understand decent maps can run high power with lower boost (than poorer alternatives). i remember reading somewhere that evolve manage the same power output than the jb4 but with lower boost. surely this is a good thing!

i have seen the power/torque graphs on the burger tuning site but no signs of boost or fueling.

i might be a bit keen yet since i dont have the car yet but this is definitely a route i'll be taking. I wont be adding bolt on upgrades just a simple stage1 map.

so if anyone can give me an idea of what the difference are between tuners in this respect that would be great. and also if there any power differences between them too.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Just in case anyone is interested, my Cobb might be up for sale very soon. I'm just waiting on someone who was offered first refusal but feel free to PM me and I let you know if it is available.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
335tim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyjones1209
this is something I am becoming increasingly more interested in.

for me the main thing i want to know is what boost will the car be running? I imagine the maximum power output will be similar across all 3 options but i understand decent maps can run high power with lower boost (than poorer alternatives). i remember reading somewhere that evolve manage the same power output than the jb4 but with lower boost. surely this is a good thing!

i have seen the power/torque graphs on the burger tuning site but no signs of boost or fueling.

i might be a bit keen yet since i dont have the car yet but this is definitely a route i'll be taking. I wont be adding bolt on upgrades just a simple stage1 map.

so if anyone can give me an idea of what the difference are between tuners in this respect that would be great. and also if there any power differences between them too.
Very good questions....anyone?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

JB4 maps increase boost based on the supporting mods, hence its scaleable to your evolving requirements:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10605

Map 0: Stock bypass.
Map 1: 13psi (suggested for most stock applications)
Map 2: 14.5psi (suggested for those with downpipes and 93 octane)
Map 3: Progressive meth mapping with flow sensor failsafe.
Map 4: Stock map w/ CAN active. Allows full logging and in dash gauges on the stock mapping.
Map 5: Autotuning map. Boost ranges between 11-17psi based on your cars octane, conditions, and modifications.
Map 6: Custom tuning map.
Map 7: 16.5psi race map. 100 RM2 octane required.
Map 8: Economy / Non-Turbo map.

I run map 5 or map 3 depending whether I want meth flowing and really need to blow something special away! I hear Cobb runs much higher boost for the equivalent HP outputs.
      06-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
jada07515
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Give evolve a ring and they will answer all your questions mate
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
335tim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi
JB4 maps increase boost based on the supporting mods, hence its scaleable to your evolving requirements:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10605

Map 0: Stock bypass.
Map 1: 13psi (suggested for most stock applications)
Map 2: 14.5psi (suggested for those with downpipes and 93 octane)
Map 3: Progressive meth mapping with flow sensor failsafe.
Map 4: Stock map w/ CAN active. Allows full logging and in dash gauges on the stock mapping.
Map 5: Autotuning map. Boost ranges between 11-17psi based on your cars octane, conditions, and modifications.
Map 6: Custom tuning map.
Map 7: 16.5psi race map. 100 RM2 octane required.
Map 8: Economy / Non-Turbo map.

I run map 5 or map 3 depending whether I want meth flowing and really need to blow something special away! I hear Cobb runs much higher boost for the equivalent HP outputs.
So from reading this Phil, am
I right in saying that I could only run map 1 on stock? What are the power gains for map 1?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
B005T3D-G
Class Leading Reprobate
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Yes you will only be able to run Map 1 on a stock car for the safest gains. You could run Map 2 for more boost but it's not going to do you any good in the long run hence why it's recommended for those with DP's.

From what I've read (taken with a healthy pinch of salt) map 1 and a drop in filter can net you somewhere around 50whp
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

You could run either map 1 or 5. Map 5 autotunes the boost depending on your mods and fuel quality. On Shell V Power or similar with no mods you might find that it allows you run more boost than map 1.

Map 1 boost levels should give you about 370ish at the flywheel.

I posted my thoughts on Cobb vs JB4 a few weeks ago:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688565
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #14
rickyjones1209
First Lieutenant
Rep

ok so looking for the best value the JB4 seems a steal. if i were go down this route id have to go for DCI too. i think itd be criminal not to, unless anyone tells me of a reason otherwise. so running map1 with DCI id be looking at 13 psi of boost and about 360bhp?

to me this seems perfect but itd be interesting to know how evolve compare and what boost id be running to get same gains.

same to COBB too...?

and what boost does the N54 normally hold as standard?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
335tim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So jb4 map 1 is safe on stock and will get me about 70 more horses?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #16
rickyjones1209
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335tim View Post
So jb4 map 1 is safe on stock and will get me about 70 more horses?
i think 70 is optimistic. id imagine more like 50 in reality but i may be wrong. a lot of the literature you'll read on the jb4 unit is from the US and their power read outs seem to be on the high side.

has no one on here actually run a dyno day with a jb4 to see what the true results are or do we assume the marketing lingo on the burger tuning site is all kosher?

the jb4 does seem like a great buy and all ive read is positive feedback. my only concern is with everything is life you tend to get what you pay for and my question would be why is the COBB unit and the evolve map so much more expensive?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #17
335tim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Still, 50 horses is a considerable gain for £320.

My concern is always wear and tear on the engine and components with tuning but it seems this might be do-able?

On the subject of jb4 vs Cobb, if it is the case that the Cobb had the turbos running at higher psi, then surely the jb4 is a better option for being kinder to the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #18
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyjones1209 View Post
i think 70 is optimistic. id imagine more like 50 in reality but i may be wrong. a lot of the literature you'll read on the jb4 unit is from the US and their power read outs seem to be on the high side.

has no one on here actually run a dyno day with a jb4 to see what the true results are or do we assume the marketing lingo on the burger tuning site is all kosher?

the jb4 does seem like a great buy and all ive read is positive feedback. my only concern is with everything is life you tend to get what you pay for and my question would be why is the COBB unit and the evolve map so much more expensive?
I made 384bhp and 437 ft-lbs with an intake and JB4. Then with an intercooler and downpipes added it was 410bhp and 490 ft-lbs

Quote:

My concern is always wear and tear on the engine and components with tuning but it seems this might be do-able?

On the subject of jb4 vs Cobb, if it is the case that the Cobb had the turbos running at higher psi, then surely the jb4 is a better option for being kinder to the car?
Cobb has better timing and AFR control but has to run higher boost to acheive similar power. Technically safer for the internals but extra strain on the turbos. IMO you won't have a problem with either option (Evolve included).
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #19
neil@JuicedUpTuning
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Im new to this modding stuff and im a bit confused.....

I know I can pick up a JB4 for £319 from juiced up tuning . I love the look of the way you can control things and switch maps from the steering wheel etc but having looked at the install vid on youtube, I dont really feel comfortable messing with the main ecu wires in the engine bay myself.
ECU Connector blocks are zero force insertion. They have a slider to lift and lower the blocks into place.

Support is on hand via email. You take pictures and email in so we can get you on the road.

Alternatives:

Find a local member who will help install.

Darren Wood BMW in Stockport does the installs too

Quote:
Hi Phil, thanks for reply....
No, Neil doesnt sell Cobb, he tried but Cobb didnt get back to him.
This is true

Quote:
ok so looking for the best value the JB4 seems a steal. if i were go down this route id have to go for DCI too. i think itd be criminal not to, unless anyone tells me of a reason otherwise. so running map1 with DCI id be looking at 13 psi of boost and about 360bhp?
Approx 350-360 whp (Stock is around 275whp) on MAP1 (Stock otherwise). Try the JB4 for 14 days and get it dyno'd. If it don't do the business you can have a full refund.

The JB4 supports you as you mod your car. No remap after remap when you add Downpipes, Intercooler etc. Simply switch maps

The JB4, USB and DCI Combo Deal is £399 + delivery!

Quote:
Flash tunes have more R+D costs so they will be more expensive than the JB4

With over 10,000 JB tunes across the world they are tried and tested!! The JB4 has built in software and hardware safety features including cold/hot oil protection with alert when car has come up to temperature (Stock Boost > Full Boost)

Quote:

The US folk are running 18psi + boost with 450+ bhp so MAP1 is just fine on stock internals.

The JB4 is an awesome tune that offer Plug and Play install. Simply install and drive.

When you want to open up a world of advanced features you can. Via the steering controls or laptop w JB4 software access to various features is given including:

1st and 2nd Gear boost reduction for traction control
In dash gear shift lights
Gauge hijacking ( Boost on fuel etc)
Code reading deleting
Down pipe fix
Advanced logging
many more

Last edited by neil@JuicedUpTuning; 06-11-2012 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #20
B005T3D-G
Class Leading Reprobate
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Cheers Neil, good info there.

I'll no doubt be in touch with you next week when I get back from work as I've just been informed that my JB4 (bought from a member) has arrived

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:22 AM   #21
DanTheManc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan
I made 384bhp and 437 ft-lbs with an intake and JB4. Then with an intercooler and downpipes added it was 410bhp and 490 ft-lbs
Which map was you running Idnan? Map 5?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #22
B005T3D-G
Class Leading Reprobate
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheManc View Post
Which map was you running Idnan? Map 5?
Good question. Those are really impressive numbers Wheels/Flywheel?? What intake were you running.
Appreciate 0